• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Different Kind of M109 Conversion

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the air conditioner frame welded up and tried a test fit. Just had to run the unit to see what it would do. About 93 outside, in the upper 90's inside when I started, middle of ceiling was 106 (top was in the sun). Air out of the unit was 62 degrees. Inside is down in the low 80's after an hour. Won't be anywhere near that good with constant opening and closing the door, but it will work as intended. Here are the pics!

Attachments

Chieftawny

Last edited:

Maverick1701

That is looking really sharp!!!

I wish I could make it to the GA rally now...post lots of pics, I cant wait to see the end result!!

The more 109 projects I see the more it makes me want one....this darn money tree I planted in my back yard just wont grow fast enough

zout

Heck with my piece o crap truck - I am sleeping in the cooler of SCSG truck.

Does that unit use the condensation to cycle through the fan to help the cooling - meaning - the angle of the ac unit install is correct to help pass the condensation before it goes to drain ??

No matter - I think I have found a home at the rally and hope no one finds me sleeping in the COOLER.

By the way SCSG - I like the cooler to throw 1/4 in snow flakes or ice flakes - I will bring my own shovel to find my way out.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
zout,
Better bring your extreme cold weather sleeping bag. Air out of the unit was about 56 degrees just before I cut it off to remove it for the welding. Course, outside had cooled off to the mid 80's by then. I think your breath will make all the snowflakes the shovel can handle!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a question on the paint I'm using inside. Here is the answer for everyone:
Red Rust-oleum Rusty Metal spray primer on anything rusty, let it dry for 48 hours.
White Rust-oleum clean metal primer on everything, brushed on, let it dry 48 hours.
Gloss White Rust-oleum Protective Enamel (oil based), brushed on, two coats where the primer was thin or over the red primer.
Rust-oleum Specialty High Heat White (7751 Heat Resistant White) for inside the light fixtures.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did some painting on the floor. Will bolt in the shelves next and order the last cabinet, then finish the floor in the front right corner (where the shelves are now). Bracket for under the cabinet is visible between the windows in the second picture.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just spectacular Mike. Can't wait to see it.

evo45

I read most of the six pages and wasnt sure if you were using shore power for all of your fridges, freezers and the a/c or if you were running them off of a power inverter that you had installed into the truck. I am wondering because I would like to one day turn the deuce that I am negotiating on into a crew cab with a slimline a/c unit from a camper. Is it actually possible to run any of this stuff off of a 24v power inverter or the generator on the truck?

Thanks Vic

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There might be some small units that will run on a BIG inverter. I've got 30 amps of shore power, either from a 5KW generator or from an RV plug to handle the loads. My air conditioner runs about seven amps, both of the horizontal refrigerators take close to nine amps, and the MKT will pull another two amps. There are two 20 amp circuits as built, to split out the load. I also doubled up on the 10 ga wire where I could, even though 10 ga is what the code calls for 30 amp loads (call me paranoid).

Magneto

I am using the same AC unit and have been happy with the performance. Black roof and radio gear makes it work full time but an extra circulating fan helps.
I'll leave my MREs packed away and come over and eat with you! ;) Like the paint job on the floor.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cabell and I were discussing the chore of getting from the truck to the MKT at the VA Rally, and I've started on the idea that we came up with. It involves making some brackets that will slip over the bumperettes that a sheet of diamond plate can be welded to, that will provide a flat surface between the MKT and the back of a truck (for me, the M109, Cabell, the 5 ton). Jim Schwitters welded up the brackets last night and I've used some "C" clamps, wire shelving and angle metal to show about what it will look like when I get it finished.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks