• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A gift of a life time.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It is a beautiful truck. Dawn and I spent a lot of time looking at it. Really nice. We have a friend who has one and he wanted a bunch of pics so I shot a ton for him. Here's what I got (I hope I am not overstepping my bounds here-if you want me to remove them, I will happily).

Congrats, it really is a gorgeous truck. It's probably one of the nicest 135/211 series trucks in the world.

20140627_073329.jpg20140627_073531.jpg20140627_073439.jpg20140627_073420.jpg20140627_073414.jpg20140627_073407.jpg20140627_073349.jpg20140627_073343.jpg20140627_073336.jpg20140627_073551.jpg

Matt1970M35A

So how is she doing at her new home?

To start out a little rough.
It flooded from time to time and had a good oil leek.
And to top it off it has the same problem as all of my other 4+ wheeled vehicles had when I first got them. Transmission problems!
After cleaning the float bowl and installing a fuel filter it ran great. I still drained the tank and flushed the lines out.
I started working on the transmission. First changing out the ATF for Tractor transmission fluid. This helped a little but was not the fix.
So I moved on to the valve body. Now were getting some were (or so I thought) I found some spools stuck and hard to move.
Got it all cleaned up and freed up. Put it all back tougher and went for a test drive. Still no luck.
It just wont shift in to 2nd or 4th and now that I worked on it reverse is out! Great!
So I call Memphis Equ. They put me on the correct path. Simple as just adjusting the first band. I get under the truck with tools in hand get it all ready to adjust
have my dad start the truck and I started adjusting. After maxing out the adjustment I now have reverse but still no 2nd or 4th.
Glade it came with a 2nd transmission I can rebuild and do a same day swap.

When I grow up I want to work in a transmission shop. So far Im 3 out of 4 soon to be 4 for 4.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked the TM's and it just says "notify ordnance maintenance personnel". After you do that we should be able to just jump in and drive.

I have not had that symptom and it's not in the manual. Your truck has an extra funky handle on the side of the shift tower that I understand is the REB shifter. http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySection/6x6 Trucks/HydramaticHvn.html

I was hoping you'd be able to tell us how it works different than the 'original' automatic and how the linkage is set-up........and now we're both choked that it's not working.

I'm no mechanic but I've managed to adjust my linkage, replace worn pins, clean the oilpan oil screen assembly and thinking I'm real lucky to still have a working transmission. I have heard of one transmission that was torn down after running atf that showed signs of unusual wear. I also understand that seals do not like sitting and should be driven weekly to A&W to reduce oil drips on pavement.

I hope you get the chance to do that.....and get some pics of her at the golf course, great truck.

Greatly appreciate the pictures.

Matt1970M35A

Yes the extra knob on the shift tower is a rab shifter.
It lets you shift the transmission manually. With it installed the transmission is no longer an automatic.
The only thing to do now is a rebuild.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks