• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Guy, a Dog, an M1083, and 2700 Miles

Ladies and Gents,

To begin with, I'd like to say that this site and its members are a class act. I only joined a few days ago and everyone has been extremely friendly and helpful. It's like family and I'm fortunate to be part of it.

I'm about to become the owner of my first military vehicle. After a couple of years researching which vehicle would work best for me, I'm excited to say that the day is finally here. It's a 2007 M1083 with about 4,100 miles on it. It's been a long time coming.

For starters, I'd like to say thanks to those involved so far...

I'm purchasing the truck from Berend Smit. He has been awesome throughout the transaction. He worked hard to ensure the M1083 is road-ready for a trip across the US and his patience in dealing with my newbie questions has been unwavering. Thank you!

A big thanks to Tom Bauer! He sheltered the truck at his place so Berend could get it road ready.

Bryce Wasielak, you are the man! You're lockers rock and your effort to make things happen are second to none. Thank you!

Today I had lunch with other local FMTV owners Scott George (Recce01) and Dan Hendricks. They inspired me to start the adventure by writing about it in this forum. Thank you, guys!

About me, I've been a fireman for 28 years (pics). I drive fire engines and fire trucks for a living so I'm not new to driving big heavy vehicles. However, the similarities between fire apparatus and FMTVs stop at the diesel engine and Allison Transmission. FMTVs are a whole new animal.

I'm flying from Los Angeles to Baltimore on February 3rd to inspect the vehicle, load up, and begin the 2700 mile transcontinental journey (pic). Kennedy, a 10-pound pup (pics) will be traveling with me.

In anticipation of the trip, I scoured forums and posts for suggestions, recommendations, ideas, and knowledge, including this post: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/2000-mile-road-trip-in-an-fmtv.173506/page-12

There is a wealth of information and support from everyone. I'm bringing a basic tool kit, torque multiplier (for the inevitable blow out), one bag of clothes/toiletries, and the dog. If you have any suggestions for "must have's", I'm all ears!

Most of the country I'll be traveling through will be new to me. I'd love to hear your thoughts on best routes, resources, recommendations, or just random things worth knowing. There is so much knowledge and experience in this group that I'd be a fool not to ask.

Stay tuned for updates, pictures, mishaps, and good times!

Be good everyone!

Jeff

Attachments

B-Dog

If you pick the alternate route via I70, be mindful of the weather through the rocky mountains! i.e, if it were me, I'd go South. But, if you do go the northern route and need anything near Denver, feel free to reach out ;)

Have fun and be safe!

If you pick the alternate route via I70, be mindful of the weather through the rocky mountains! i.e, if it were me, I'd go South. But, if you do go the northern route and need anything near Denver, feel free to reach out ;)

Have fun and be safe!
Awesome! Probably won't hit that route this time but definitely will be doing excursions near you in the future!

jtcawrse

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was traveling cross country, I’d be sure to do everything that the good folks here tell you to do in regards to your truck but I’d use https://roadfood.com as my driving guide. An army travels on its stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was traveling cross country, I’d be sure to do everything that the good folks here tell you to do in regards to your truck but I’d use https://roadfood.com as my driving guide. An army travels on its stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha! No better motivation than good food! Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be using it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure that’s the truck Berand got stranded in with a blowout and posted here needing rescue. Better check the remaining tires for age over 8 years. They will blow out too.

dxhend2

Great to meet you at lunch yesterday with Scott; welcome aboard and good luck on your trip! Keep us posted and we'll be your "ground crew" for support!

Beauty of a truck !

Yeah, keep a close on on those "may pop" XML's.

They are *do* pops.

I think 2007 was the last year they used them. In any event, look closely for *any* bulge that appears between the big "knob" and the rim. That's the indicator to watch for. And make certain that they are running the right psi.
Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out!

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The I-44 corridor is an AWESOME highway, although there is usually some sort of road work (orange barrel hell) in Missouri. Not too many hills to deal with... Nice Truck. I am sure you have guardian angels watching over your and the pooch. PS... Pick up a few MRE's and put them in the locker...

The I-44 corridor is an AWESOME highway, although there is usually some sort of road work (orange barrel hell) in Missouri. Not too many hills to deal with... Nice Truck. I am sure you have guardian angels watching over your and the pooch. PS... Pick up a few MRE's and put them in the locker...
Never driven the I-44. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at the map.

RE: The MREs, I'm swinging by Walmart and buying a basic 12v cooler to carry goods with me!

19Detail

Here are my 2 cents. For the record, I drove my 1078 home to Vermont from Ft Hood, TX alone.

I would stay off the highways as much as possible if you don't have the high speed gears. I always felt like a road hazard doing 55 on the highway. Tractor trailers scream by you and you are big to a car but small to a semi. A friend suggested a rotating beacon and like a fool I said no. Also, you will get twice the gas mileage going 45 than you will 55. At least I did.

The cab is really loud if it is not treated. It would be nice if you had some comfortable hearing protection. I don't know how you would mitigate it for your copilot. They do make hearing protection for dogs for around $60. It might be something to look into. On my ride back, I didn't wear hearing protection because I wanted to hear if something went wrong, but it can be grueling. You can get 2 Dynamax Hood Liner kits for $100 to treat the hump over the engine. They can be put on using only a knife and they help a lot.

I would also suggest some kind of camera for the passenger side. Walmart can sell you something pretty cheap and you can zip tie the camera to the passenger mirror. Trying to merge right was terrifying for me on the way back. Also, road work and jersey barriers feel like you have 2 inches of clearance on either side. Having a camera has really helped me to get a feel for exactly how close the edge of the road I am. When I think of my trip back, the phrase "God favors fools and small children" comes to mind.

Let your credit card know you are travelling and bought a diesel. Mine called my wife when multiple $150 fuel purchases showed up in TX. Also, apparently $100 is a limit on some fuel pumps and it will shut off on you. More funny than something you have to worry about.

Treat your windshield with RainX. It is cheap insurance if your wipers fail or just suck in general

The seats suck. I thought they were ok when I sat in a friend's LMTV. After the first day, I came to the conclusion they are absolute trash. I think I was getting actual sores from them after the second day. I stopped and got a few $3 pillows from Walmart and it helped. I have put a $20 gel seat from Costco in it now and it seems a lot better but I haven't spent days in it like on the way home.

If there is something that is making your drive horrible, ask the forum. It might be a quick fix that you don't have to endure for 2700 miles. I had a loose steering arm. It made the steering so sloppy it felt like I was driving on ice. For 2000 miles. When I got home, I figured out what it was and fixed it in 5 min with a crescent wrench and a c clamp.

Lastly, take your time and make the trip an adventure. Stop and see things. 2700 miles in 5 days is a grind. In 10 days it is a cross country trip you will remember for a long time. Every time you stop, people will talk to you about your truck. Enjoy that. This country has some of the best people in it and they are all around.

Unrelated, but does anyone else find it amazing that you can get 2 routes across the country, one through the northern states and one through the southern states, and the total miles is different by 2?

coachgeo

Here are my 2 cents. For the record, I drove my 1078 home to Vermont from Ft Hood, TX alone.

I would stay off the highways as much as possible if you don't have the high speed gear...
ended up with opposite opinion fwiw... on 2 laners; felt way more of a dangerous obstacle to other drivers cause folk could not easily pass. On interstate I could stay out of way better AND folk could move over and drive on fairly easily.

YMMV

Third From Texas

I would stay off the highways as much as possible if you don't have the high speed gears. I always felt like a road hazard doing 55 on the highway. Tractor trailers scream by you and you are big to a car but small to a semi. A friend suggested a rotating beacon and like a fool I said no. Also, you will get twice the gas mileage going 45 than you will 55. At least I did.

The cab is really loud if it is not treated. It would be nice if you had some comfortable hearing protection. I don't know how you would mitigate it for your copilot. They do make hearing protection for dogs for around $60. It might be something to look into. On my ride back, I didn't wear hearing protection because I wanted to hear if something went wrong, but it can be grueling. You can get 2 Dynamax Hood Liner kits for $100 to treat the hump over the engine. They can be put on using only a knife and they help a lot.

I would also suggest some kind of camera for the passenger side. Walmart can sell you something pretty cheap and you can zip tie the camera to the passenger mirror. Trying to merge right was terrifying for me on the way back. Also, road work and jersey barriers feel like you have 2 inches of clearance on either side. Having a camera has really helped me to get a feel for exactly how close the edge of the road I am. When I think of my trip back, the phrase "God favors fools and small children" comes to mind.

Let your credit card know you are travelling and bought a diesel. Mine called my wife when multiple $150 fuel purchases showed up in TX. Also, apparently $100 is a limit on some fuel pumps and it will shut off on you. More funny than something you have to worry about.

Treat your windshield with RainX. It is cheap insurance if your wipers fail or just suck in general

The seats suck. I thought they were ok when I sat in a friend's LMTV. After the first day, I came to the conclusion they are absolute trash. I think I was getting actual sores from them after the second day. I stopped and got a few $3 pillows from Walmart and it helped. I have put a $20 gel seat from Costco in it now and it seems a lot better but I haven't spent days in it like on the way home.

If there is something that is making your drive horrible, ask the forum. It might be a quick fix that you don't have to endure for 2700 miles. I had a loose steering arm. It made the steering so sloppy it felt like I was driving on ice. For 2000 miles. When I got home, I figured out what it was and fixed it in 5 min with a crescent wrench and a c clamp.

Lastly, take your time and make the trip an adventure. Stop and see things. 2700 miles in 5 days is a grind. In 10 days it is a cross country trip you will remember for a long time. Every time you stop, people will talk to you about your truck. Enjoy that. This country has some of the best people in it and they are all around.

Unrelated, but does anyone else find it amazing that you can get 2 routes across the country, one through the northern states and one through the southern states, and the total miles is different by 2?
I'd actually suggest staying on the beaten trail. Major Interstates are going to offer far more solutions to any issues that arise. I get what you're saying, but chances of getting assistance are better on a major trafficked highway.

And that's an A1R truck. Those seats are actually quite comfy. They are suspension seats (opposed to "metal plate-bottomed seats" used in the previous trucks. After recovering my truck, I recovered the OEM seat opposed to installing civilian replacements. No regrets keeping them.

yymv

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to Jeff before he made the purchase and the truck is supposed to have the 3.07 gears installed for his trip unless something changed. I say with that C7 and those gears he will be fine scooting down the highway 60-65 mph with room to spare. I gave him heads up on small tricks, tips, and quirks of the A1R trucks and as long as PMCS is followed and Murphy stays away I believe he will be fine. If any electrical issues arise it will be a fun roadside diagnosis without a proper TM. One step at a time..one mile at a time.. he just better post pictures when he's home safe. :driver:

What a great response! Great detail and super helpful information. Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks