• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A little fun today

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As soon as we have enough snow, I'll do it, with and w/o chains. I'll get the trailer hooked up too.
Been planning to do this for a while, but since you brought it up...

baja_power

thanks CT. Also took some temp. reading with the winter cover..

with the flap fully closed on a 20 degree day i reached 200 degrees.. so i opened the flap and now run around 160-170

I live on a State road so do a lot of “ high speed” driving with the truck. So I didn’t want to throw chains on or air the tries down way low..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good experiment for you Bjorn since loading is somehwat easier for you. Bomar, the salt is a good idea. I rode around with a pallet of Sakrete in the back of the M35A2 for a month. The whole pallet was shrinkwrapped and never moved. The pallet wasn't tied down either. Did a little offroading with it as well.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a BIG difference when driving in hills, level areas are more easily handled. I have some good long 20% hills to drive in as soon as the snow piles up.
It may be Jan or Feb before we get a foot of snow on the ground, though (I have done this before, of course, but this time the trailer will be hooked up).

Backing up-hill is another fun one with the wheel hop to contend with if not loaded correctly.

baja_power

We don’t have many hills to deal with around here.. its mostly flat around here. there are some hills northwest of us... the one has a ski lodge on and the road to it is quite steep. I’m sure chains would be needed there.

yeager1

There has been a lot of discussion about NDTs and their performance in snow and ice, as well as how tire chains make them 10x better. I agree that chains make any vehicle awesome in the snow and mud, but they are not cheap and are a huge pain to put on if your already stuck (especially if it's in hub deep mud). While looking for chains for my jeep, I ran across these pictures. I never really thought of trying it this way (the half a**ed way), but it would actually work really well on the outer duals and you could put them on in any condition, even when the tires half burried. It's not as good as full chains, but they're cheap to buy and you could easily make some for when you get stuck.
http://tirechain.com/emergencychainhd1.htm

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks