• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A million questions to ask

grunex125

I'm new to the forums here and considering a purchase of a few dumps for the business, but as the thread title says I've got a million questions.

First off, I was considering purchasing a tandem axle five ton dump on GL, my needs are for a truck that is built strong enough for towing a tag trailer and for use on site. My business is land clearing and I need to tow a cat track loader weighing 34,500 lbs plus trailer. Can anyone tell me what the GVRW rating is per axle and would I be legal on the highway if my combined weight of trailer and Cat is around 45,000 lbs? I'm not sure on the weight of the trucks either, what is the gross weight of the trucks? I'm not settled on a model yet so if someone could give me a "for instance" that would help greatly.

Second, I somewhat understand the bidding process on GL and the EUC and the SF97 forms process, but if I bid and win a truck to suit my needs, can I arrange transportation through GL? or do I have to find a private carrier to transport it? Along that same line do I need to be there in person to present my paperwork to the GL people and the guards?

Third, Assuming I am the winning bidder on an auction, I have already made my payment for the auction, filled for the EUC, the SF97 form is been filled out, do they then supply you with the necessary info to get tabs and registration? How difficult is it to obtain title registration and tabs in MN? If the title and registration is slow in coming will GL penalize me for not moving the truck as per their agreement? Correct me if I am wrong but insurance for these vehicles would NEED to be a commercial policy even if the dumps are not used for towing right?

And last but not least, being that I do not know much about these trucks or trucks in general, for instance if I were to drive a 5 ton truck of some model does that require me to have a cdl in MN? Does the term five ton refer to the empty weight of the truck? or it's rated load capacity?

I'm truely sorry for coming on here and blazing away with the questions, it's just that my background is such that I have not needed a truck of any kind much bigger than my F450 until now and I'm having serious growing pains with my business. I am expanding, but wrestling every day with the lack of trucks and having transportation issues. The biggest issue with me is to keep my debt low and not get overextended financially. Which is why I came to the conclusion that an ex military truck might fit the bill for the time being without forcing me to raise my rates so high due to financial constraints as a result of stupid borrowing for "fancy" trucks.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RUSTSLEEPS, I thought there was only 1/2 that to go. Are you going to tell the man the answers he requires...? Hope the carpel-tunnel is not acting up for you tonight.

eagle4g63

From what I have gathered the sf97 IS the form to take to the BMV for your title. GL will charge you for this form. As far as the removal....title or no title it has to be removed in the time frame they tell you(10 days from the time you are approved from the euc), I just went and got my trailer with out any title work, hitched up and pulled it down the road. I would believe the truck with the paper work you get from GL should allow you to run the truck(or just trailer it and no problems at all).

As to the 5 ton rating: if it is like the 2 1/2 ton trucks that is the rating for what it would haul(in the 2 1/2 case, the weight off road)

Rustsleeps

Sorry, I had to. The point is, these are old trucks, sold at the end of their usefulness to the military. If the purchase price really reflected the "useful" value the price would be much higher, and the availability much lower. The "big" companies would be using them for the major projects, and snatching them up as soon as they were available. They need more attention than a leased truck will. They do not have the safety systems that a leased truck does. They do not have the operational efficiency that a leased truck does. If you can find it, the insurance will probably be much more than a leased truck would be. They were never designed for the use that you have in mind. They are old iron, from days gone by. Beautiful for what they were.

dozer1

From an all out business standpoint, I would think civy dump trucks might be the better way to go. Much nicer creature comforts, built tough yet much lighter enabling you to carry more payload legally. On all of the legalities like CDL requirement and licencing, truck inspections, ect. I would contact MNDOT and get the real facts. Definetly don't want to discourage you from the MV hobby, just thowing my 2cents

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don, how was that for the short version of the long story?:)

I am impressed again. Thats 1 way to look at it. His insurance should be cheap. Mine runs $340.00 a year. Since I told him the miles are 7500 or less. You must tell your agent that or your socked up the ying yang on costs. Don't be a stranger Rust.

GL from what I know is quite the gamble you could have a solid truck, fluids change good inspection you are ready to roll. On the other hand you could end up with a truck requireing a lot of maitince brakes, seals, gaskets, fuel tank crud Or the dreaded forklift monster attack, although I doubt they have that proble with five tons. Another thing to take into account is the maintenance that you should (or i would do) to make it roadworthy. Go through every thing tighten evry bolt and grease every zerk, check for play dammage to/in anything and everything. change filters and fluids. everything should be inspected and checked. You have no ideia what has happed to the truck. Another thing militray vehicles are not fast 55mph is about it, there are many a thread on this topic. That is all I can think of for now but good luck.
Sorry if i sound as though I am discouraging you, I am not i just want you to be well informed.

lacoda56

Just gotta throw my two cents in here. Sounds to me that you'd be way better off with a civy tri or quad axle KW, Mack, Freightliner or Pete and have the power and parts availability you're looking for and keep the MV's for a hobby.

grunex125

Sorry, I had to. The point is, these are old trucks, sold at the end of their usefulness to the military. If the purchase price really reflected the "useful" value the price would be much higher, and the availability much lower. The "big" companies would be using them for the major projects, and snatching them up as soon as they were available. They need more attention than a leased truck will. They do not have the safety systems that a leased truck does. They do not have the operational efficiency that a leased truck does. If you can find it, the insurance will probably be much more than a leased truck would be. They were never designed for the use that you have in mind. They are old iron, from days gone by. Beautiful for what they were.

Could it be said also that they are good interim trucks? By that I mean lets face it these are tough times and to find a good commercial truck you would be looking at 40k or better and even as low as 40k you can still get some junk with high miles. Mostly I'm looking to expand services and start to build cash through the next couple of years, so that I'm still a viable business after this recession and hopefully haven't run all my customers off because I can't get there due to trucking. I mean I can't keep going to my competition and asking to be moved while they are sitting still and getting crabby because I pose a bit more competition to them in hard times. My plan was to just be able to move for a while, and keep working while not breaking the bank in the process. This I guess is my main driving factor in steering me to these trucks to begin with.

I'm not at all worried about maintenence and upkeep, I've been down that road a lot through my experiences in my mainline business. I Can pretty much figure out how to get things fixed, I just don't know a lot about trucks yet, or how things are rated and the legality some things.

Rustsleeps

My point is that you could probably lease a brand new truck that would fit your needs for less than your costs to aquire and maintain an old military truck, if you depend on it being available every day that you need it. Your customers do not want to hear that the job is not finished because you are looking for a engine that does not have a big hole in it from the connecting rod that let loose. They do not want to hear the their job is not finished because you are looking for parts. There is no need to lay out the entire purchase price for a commercial motor vehicle. Most of the large fleet trucks are leased and not purchased,for the dependability and cost factors.

sierra117

I think it seems like a good starting point cheaper startup cost and maintence would be the same as a civy vehicle I would say yes to needing a cdl ,you should be alright towing stuff as long as you follow DOT safety and weight regulations. as for gl related stuff I am unsure the mv I got was from a private party it seemed easier and It seemed less like I was taking a risk since they were local and I could make sure that I was buying a decent vehicle. 2cents

stampy

Govdeals.com has civy dumps for auction. They typically go for a few thousand more than GL trucks but they typicaly run and are later models than GL and you can get the title immediately. That is the route I would go but hey if you love the old trucks more power to ya. They can't carry much of a load,single circuit braking system, no a/c most are 25 to 30 years old.....I would rather spend a little more up front personally.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would find a used civy dump , the 800 series 5 tons with the 250 cummins motor isn't going to pull a 45,000 #
crawler loader . These trucks are too under powered and geared to low to be productive in a commercial application
unless 80% of your work is in off-road conditions that would require a 6 x 6 . As for leasing a brand new truck , it might be alright for a over the road truck , but for a construction dump you would have to keep it moving 60 hours a week every
week to keep up on payments with nothing to show for it at the end of the lease. I would look to your local state hi-way department auctions , but make sure you find a truck with enough power to pull the load your looking at . There is less wear and tear on a truck with more power than you need and a lot less maintainace , than a truck that isn't powered for the job.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks