• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A million questions to ask

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Brother did exactly what you want to do to haul his backhoe around until he could afford a tandem International with a DT466 in it.

Now he is paying to move his track hoe and he wants me to move it........... ;-)

Csm Davis

Look at using a 818, or 932 tractor with lowboy for hauling your cat, and 817 dump. I know lots of people using military trucks for business with few problems from law enforcement .

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5 ton will make a excellent site truck for pond work . One thing I would add to the truck is a electric box vibrator to help shake
the slop out of the nose of the box

Autocar

If you are looking at two trucks-a dump for site work and a tractor for hauling the Cat, you might consider an M915A1. These are essentially over the road tractors with air brakes, 400 HP Cummins, 12 Volt, almost all commercial components, which means you can get parts at almost any truck supply house. There are alot of them being dumped by GL really cheaply. I got mine for 6K out the door with 45K miles on it. Essentially an unused truck that is easy to drive and has tons of power. Pulls my halftrack no problem.

Last edited:

grunex125

well Sirs:
It has been about two weeks I think since I last wrote here and I've got to say it's been hectic.
I've been on the phone a lot these past few weeks trying to get the ground work laid out for a purchase of a 6by6 dump which will more than likely be my first endeavor. I've read here that many of you guys are insuring with USAA, and their partner co's. I've been trying to get in touch with a live person there who can help with the task of insuring an ex Military truck of the five ton classification, but I seem to be running into a brick wall. Apparently most ins. Co's will cover your vehicle under a collectors policy, but in this case where the truck is to be driven for farm use and to the job site, it basicly means I'd need either a farm policy and classify it as such or I would need a commercial policy. The problem is no INS. co. that I have found is willing to venture into the big mud hole and insure something like a 6x6 tipper for my usage.
Now for another question, am I not classifying this vehicle right for quoting purposes? How do most of you farmers and loggers that use these trucks have them insured? legally I mean.
A lot of my decision to buy will be based on the ability to put INS. on it and use it legally on the road.
Anyone from MN that knows of a possible avenue for INS. is more than welcome to PM me if posting links here is not allowed.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will probably have to insure it as a commercial construction dump to get coverage . Farm isurance typicly only covers vehicles used on your own farm , when you go to your neighbors it becomes commercial . best bet is get the phone book out and start call agents that advertise commercial insurance in your area . Insurance laws very from state to state . Most companies that write in other states won't touch a vehicle here in michigan because of our screwed up insurance laws

Welder Sam

If you havent already, please try state farm. I dunno if this would be applicable to your state but ive had no problem finding insurance thru them. I know your situation is different but i will have to go with a personal commercial policy.

Sorry its not much but its all ive got bud

grunex125

Hey thanks Sierra117!, welder, and Porkysplace! i guess it was one of the more obvious choices I should have tried, but for some reason they slipped my list of co's. We'll give them a try in the morning and see what happens.