• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A restoration of my Deuce witha tip of the hat to vietnam

04mustang

Hi,
This one of my first posts here on SS. I have a M35A2 that recently picked up. Ive been slowly getting all the parts for it that Im missing or needed replacing. I am a little torn though about the direction of the paint and the overall finish of the truck.

Ive attached pics of the truck. I have the west coast style mirrors and a canvas cargo cover for it, with 1 end curtain.

My questions are about what was the paint available at the time of the Vietnam conflict, towards the end. I know about the semigloss OD and white stars. But ive also been told that 383 type green came in around the same time as the west coast style mirrors, towards the end of the conflict.
I like the white stars and want to go in that direction, regardless of what paint goes with it.

The main reason I am doing this is for my Dad. He was drafted in 1970 and spent 2 years in the Army in Germany (for some unknown reason he was sent there and not SEA).
He was assigned to the message center in US Army Europe's HQ in hiedlburg.

I want to make this truck like I want it, but with a tip of the hat to that era of history when he was in and maybe the area too, for hood and bumper numbers. I want to keep the larger mirrors (mainly for safety).

I have two antennas as well, with the sugar scoop bases, I do not have the offest bracket for them though (see pic below), Would anyone know where to go to find a pair? I would also like to at somepoint frack down a radio mount to make the cab look a little less bare.

Thank you,
Corey

wsucougarx

In regard to the west coast mirrors. I have seen in country pics of deuces with west coast mirrors. I was a bit floored by this as I thought west coast mirrors came out later. I wish I would have saved a copy but it's posted somewhere in SS...LOL.
Oh, hey that looks like my deuce in the 3rd pic;-). My son insisted I put the NO SMOKING stencil above the fuel tank.

Last edited:

04mustang

Thank you all.
So far this what Ive gathered. West coast mirrors were period.

So, what about the paint? what were the trucks painted in the 1970-72 era?

Thank you,
Corey

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking truck. Welcome to the group. Between the TMs and everyone on the site, just about every question you have can be answered. Good Luck with the Deuce and keep sending in pics as you progress. :beer:

04mustang

Ok, so...according to google and david doyle, OD 24087.
Ive seen others going with aervoe 997B (24084).
Im going to look into going that direction.

Thanks,
Corey

steelandcanvas

I remember reading here a few years back Aervoe OD paint was turning a nasty shade of pink after it had been applied and exposed to the sun for awhile. I haven't heard if they ever corrected this problem. Some others may chime in with more knowledge than I on that subject. Glad you found the David Doyle article.

04mustang

Ive seen the post your refering to. Im curious too if anyone can fill me in about the paint.

On a slightly seperate note, I have been able to come up with a few answers about radios in my truck for its era. A RT-524 radio with a MT1029 mount in the truck. My question is where and how does that mount?

Thanks,
Corey

jaxsof

we had an old paint job deuce in one of my units, which had faided to pink, blue and a wierd yellowish red (not orange hough)

04mustang

Thank you all for your input and comments. I have certainly learned alot about these trucks from this site!

I finially got around to writing down the numbers and make of my truck (just never really paid alot of attention to it, lol)
Its ID No. 95-19369-72 0540-10001
MFD By: AM General Corp

Oddly enough this truck started life as a M35A2C WO/W, but at somepoint the truck became painted red and had the bed removed and a rear PTO and winch installed with a boom of sorts. and a front winch put on.
The previous owner painted it back OD and removed the crane and rear PTO assembly. And then at my request installed a bed on it.
This is how a M35A2C WO/W came to be a M35A2 W/W. :shock:

Thanks,
Corey

04mustang

Out of curiosity, is there anyone that sells new data plates for such a truck as mine? Id like to replace all the plates in my cab with new black and silver ones (if you could see what they look like then youd understand why I want to change them, lol)
Thanks,
Corey

04mustang

So Ive been able to do just a few smaller things to the truck. Ive replaced all the glass in the cab that was broken (which is all of it except the passenger side door glass). I got in my paint from arevoe (24084). I like the way it looks and have been able to match it to parts of the truck that were never painted over.
Ive been getting all kinds of smaller parts, bed bolts, mirror mounts, windhield hinge, wiper motor..etc. This truck was missing alot of parts when I got it.
I still havnt put the passenger side windshield in yet, just got the hinge for it in the mail today. I have intalled new seat cushions on both sides.
I mentioned that this would be a restoration of my truck with a tip of the hat to the vietnam era that my dad served in during (70-72). The truck will be painted in the 24087 paint from that era (24084 today). It will sport the bhite stars and letters. It will have a canvas cargo cover and the standard NDT tires. HOWEVER, it will have LED head lights (already installed and I love them!) and have fiberglass troop seats (already picked them up, just waiting to sandblast the bed before intalling them).
And ive picked up new reflectors and new lens for the marker and brake lights. Eventually I want to replace these with LED lights as well.

My main reason for the LED lights on a truck painted in vietnam era markings is for safety, both mine and other people on the road. I want to be able to see great at night and have other people see me when I stop. And as for the toop seats, I dont want to have to replace rotted wood down the road.

Thanks,
Corey