• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A tire question for my brothers in the South

rjinga

Hey y'all,

I'm going to need new tires on my (new to me) '85 M1009 soon. I'm guessing the driving ratio will be: 60% paved roads at 60 mpg or less; 10% interstate; 15% dirt roads and trails; 15% good ole Georgia red clay MUD after a nice rain.

I'm not a serious off-roader/bogger (yet, anyway), I'm just trying to find a happy balance between wearing out mudders on the highway vs. turning my cute A/Ts into slicks the second I hit the mud.

And I do like playing in the mud. Not your crazy "over-the-axles-bumper-plowing-a-wake-for-a-hundred-yards" playing in the mud, but maybe a few notches down.

Attachments

AMX

Best is two sets of wheels/tires. Second best might be the inexpensive humvee tires. Besides at 60mpg you should have no problem buying tires!:grin:

rjinga

I have an answer, but i'm from the north. :cookoo:
Well, I say I say (in my best Foghorn Leghorn voice) no disrespect intended Sir. There may be mud as bad as red Georgia clay, but I can't imagine any that is worse. :)

And the answer is... ?

Cucvnut

if your going to go in the mud with an AT tire all you will do is spin in circles.
you need a mud tire for mud. that tire will be good for an everyday tire but stay away from the mud with it.

DavidJBlythe

I had the exact same dilemma. After tons of research I settled on BFG MudTerrain KM2's. Tons of people have them down here (FL) and I go mudding all the time. This is also my daily driver, so I have to consider road use. I LOVE them. My buddy just got some Cooper AT's and they do so-so in the Mud. My 1009 just crawls through anything now.

I REALLY like my BFG MTs......

Also, I did a 4" lift, and I could fit 33x12.5xr15's really easily. I didn't want to go any bigger because of the 3.08 gears. So far, I'm now the guy not getting stuck that is pulling other people out! (Although I did get stuck once... but that's another story).

BFG MudTerrain KM2's. Sorry I don't have clean pics of nice shiny black tires. I really use them, so I don't keep them squeaky clean.

Attachments

Last edited:

rjinga

I had the exact same dilemma. After tons of research I settled on BFG MudTerrain KM2's. Tons of people have them down here (FL) and I go mudding all the time. This is also my daily driver, so I have to consider road use. I LOVE them.
I really like the look of the KM2s and everything I've read about them. So you are happy with them on the paved road as a daily driver? I didn't mention, but this won't be my daily driver. Weekly for sure, and it would be nice to be explore "new" dirt roads as I find them.

DavidJBlythe

I love them on and off road! They get rave reviews as being great on the road and great in the mud / dirt. I searched the internet for weeks trying to find the best ones... I looked at cooper, Mickey Thompsons, Goodyears, and more. So many people were talking about the KM2's that I eventually settled on those. I didn't want to make the wrong choice! So far, these are some of the best mud tires I've seen, short of Super Swampers. I paid $900 OTD for four of them. If you order from desertrat.com or some other websites, you can get the ones I mentioned for 175.00 a tire. Anything under $200 is a good price, but look for the lowest.

I had Goodyear tires before and got stuck... those KM2's made it seem like a new truck.

-David

Boreal21

Mine are 33 x 10.50 x 15

FYI Discount Tire will price match any other vendor... even online vendors. I was able to have them match an online retailer for $156 per tire, have them shipped to me free of charge, and then receive a $70 rebate from Discount Tire on top of that. I ended up getting 4 tires for ~$554 when all was said and done [thumbzup]

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the exact same dilemma. After tons of research I settled on BFG MudTerrain KM2's. Tons of people have them down here (FL) and I go mudding all the time. This is also my daily driver, so I have to consider road use. I LOVE them. My buddy just got some Cooper AT's and they do so-so in the Mud. My 1009 just crawls through anything now.

I REALLY like my BFG MTs......

Also, I did a 4" lift, and I could fit 33x12.5xr15's really easily. I didn't want to go any bigger because of the 3.08 gears. So far, I'm now the guy not getting stuck that is pulling other people out! (Although I did get stuck once... but that's another story).

BFG MudTerrain KM2's. Sorry I don't have clean pics of nice shiny black tires. I really use them, so I don't keep them squeaky clean.
:ditto:

I have used both BFG ATs and MTs and both work excellent for their intended purpose. I would use the MTs in your situation.

rjinga

Well, I'm leaning real hard toward the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac, size 33x12.50x15 now. They are $177.00 a piece ($27.00 cheaper than the KM2s) at my nearest Discount Tire. $830.38 OTD (or less if DT matches TireRack's $151.00 online price) and then there's $70.00 in rebates.

Attachments

colelkhunter

I went with something that has a great pattern wear like iron and are E rated for towing as well. Super swamper SSR radials. i am sold on them. I am using the 37-12.50-16.5's on my 1031 right now and I could not be happier. They have a little roar on the road, but the offroad capability is ALOT better than most "all terrain" tires. It goes like a sumbich in the mud, wears well, and is E rated. what more would you want? I love them

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
(or less if DT matches TireRack's $151.00 online price)
Watch out for TireRack, the shipping will kill ya. Last time I looked for tires, TireRack was within 20 bucks of getting them local. Its nice to see what you are getting, first hand, and worrying about warranties, etc..! Have been using Sears and/or Sams, and waiting for the rebates before I buy...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks