• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A tire question for my brothers in the South

cucv1833

The Duratrac looks like a good tire. I would also look at PROCOMP i had the Xterrains on my Z-71 and they were great. and that truck stayed on pavement 80% of the time but when i hit the mud not a problem. it was buy 3 get 1 free when i got them. I will be getting another set of 33'' procomps on my CUCV but i have to use up 2 sets of goodyear 31s first. [thumbzup]

OL AG '89

I'm running TOYO OPEN COUNTRY M/T's 33x12.5x15 on mine. Did a 4 inch lift for clearance, but my rims have a 4.5 inch back spacing. They just hang right under the fenderwells. It's a random daily driver, so the tire wear is a minimal issue. I can say, with the 4 wheel drive working(don't ask) I haven't got her stuck enough to require a rescue. Tires are also "quiet" on the highway. When I drive her to work it's an 80 mile round trip, but travelling at 65 - 68 mph on Houston Freeways is a DEATH WISH!!!

monkeythumbs

I just put a set of the Duratracs(31's) on my M1009. I paid $175/tire, so far so good . I haven't been off road with them yet, but everybody raves about them. You can still hear a little hum from them if you let off the gas.

rjinga

Well, I'm leaning real hard toward the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac, size 33x12.50x15 now.
I pulled the trigger on the DuraTracs. My nearby Discount Tire will match the TireRack.com online price of $151.00, so my OTD price is now $744.48. And that is before the $70.00 in rebates ($674.40 final).

He should have them by Monday and I should be riding on new skins sometime next week! Photos to follow.

rjinga

31x10.50R15LT
I discovered that there can be a big difference in price among the different sizes of the same tire. Well, big to me anyway. For example, by staying with my current size instead of switching to a comparable metric, I saved over $125.00 on the set (plus the cost of new rims).

rjinga

... the truck does not look like a CUCV....
That's the way it was when I bought it. It when from the military, to a sheriff's department (white and black color scheme), to a private individual ("mag" wheels and euro fog lamps). I don't know who put the badges on it.

I wouldn't have changed it from original to white, but I'm not changing it anytime soon, if at all. I am going to lose the fog lamps, and I'm trying to decide whether to paint the wheels flat black like the bumper.

OddballJ

It's not standard CUCV look, but I think it's a very good looking truck you have there. I'm in the market for some new tires here in NC some time soon, so let me know how those bad boys do in the mud :)

BikerBi11

I am beginning to really like the Kelly Safaris. We have some guys at work who run the good years, but I seem to be getting better milage AND traction with them.

rjinga

without a lift have you had any issues with tires rubbing?
I haven't noticed any (yet). I haven't even had them a week yet, so I've only been down a couple of dirt/gravel roads so far. I'm also thinking about a 2" lift, for the look (yes, I can tell the difference) and little additional clearance too.

BikerBi11

Lift kits are the bomb. I have a 4 inch on my 84 civy 6.2 1/2 ton with 33s. I am going to try to get 315/75 16s under my M1010 with only a 4 inch lift. hope I can make em fit under the box. If not, I have a 3 inch body lift!

rjinga

...so let me know how those bad boys do in the mud :)
It finally rained yesterday afternoon (stormed), so we hit the (red clay) mud last night. I had my two sons with me, and my oldest son's friend also went in his F150 (5.0L gas V8, 4WD) with new Kumho tires. We went everywhere the F150 went; neither one of us made it up a solid clay embankment (20-25 feet, 45-50% angle); we both made it up a grassy hill (30-35 feet, 50-55% angle); never got stuck.

I've also driven down into, around, across, and back out of a couple of shallow streams with no problems. I do get a little scrubbing from the front passenger tire when turning hard right with flex; a 2" lift kit is on its way.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks