• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A tricky question for the SS oracles

spicergear

Stay away from planning on using a 48' or 53' container. The 20's and 40's are the ones to focus on. Obviously a 40' if shipping a deuce. Those are the most standard size containers getting floated around the world.

droopypete

Just curious, what would a M715 be worth over there? (or downunder there?:-D)
It has been 7 or 8 years since I last purchased a deuce and that was from a dealer in good condition with a f/glass hard top and no winch for $20,000 Aussie dollars, our dollar was worth 10c more than yours this morning but back then it was 30c less, I can't afford to pay anything like that but I really want one so I am doing my research and assessing my options.
Peter.

DLJ

I believe 48'and 53' containers are for US shipping only. 20' and 40' are the only ones for international use. But I've been out of that business for over 20 years.

Parker2

depending on the length, easier way to ship one would be to just load it on a flat rack, as long as its under 96" wide doesnt cost much or any more to use a flat rack instead of box. other thing to think about is a 48' and 53' container are 102" wide instead of 96" wide like a 20' 40' or 45'
I agree just put it on a flat rack. I just had my most important piece of equipment (for business) shipped to and from the caribbean and it came out of it with no problems at all. It was on a flat rack on the top deck. Didnt have any signs of salt spray or anything. :)

droopypete

I believe 48'and 53' containers are for US shipping only. 20' and 40' are the only ones for international use. But I've been out of that business for over 20 years.
My shipping guy knew of them but said to stay away from them, I think you are correct in saying they are a US land/rail thing only.
Peter.

droopypete

I agree just put it on a flat rack. I just had my most important piece of equipment (for business) shipped to and from the caribbean and it came out of it with no problems at all. It was on a flat rack on the top deck. Didnt have any signs of salt spray or anything. :)
Please excuse my ignorance, but is the truck all open or do you (or they) at least tarp it up?
Peter.

bevanet

What is the point of the EUC? If it is legal to send these overseas, why do they go to all the trouble to issue EUCs? Just curious.

Mikey90744

I don't know what happens on the other side, but we export 48' and 53' boxes all day long. however a ship that sailed yesterday heading to china, india then back to the US had about 400 53' cans onboard, and I dont even know how many 48' cans since we dont have to handle 48 footers any different then a 40.

I dont know if over seas they go straight to a CFS or leave the terminal like they do here tho

Whitey

What is the point of the EUC? If it is legal to send these overseas, why do they go to all the trouble to issue EUCs? Just curious.
If there's an EUC you can't ship them overseas. If it was purchased by a dealer who is an exporter, TNJ Murray for example, they would have filled out the paperwork differently with a different expressed use. An example would be trucks retrofitted for foreign military contracts. I'm sure someone on here might know the exact details.

KsM715

The point of the EUC (as far as outdated trucks and canoes ) is to keep a few more people on the taxpayers payroll.

On other stuff its a way to track items that are on a "controled item" list.

Mikey90744

Please excuse my ignorance, but is the truck all open or do you (or they) at least tarp it up?
Peter.

I just saw this one, at the CFS at work we cover the military trucks with a tarp, plastic but heavier then the blue ones, SOBs are almost as heavy as a canvas tarp. but then we pinch the tarp under the cribbing that we put under the axles or frame, how ever the cribbing was built. so when they are loaded generaly the only thing you see are the wheels and tires. some times smaller blue tarps will be used to cover the wheels and tires also but not always. thats just what we do

biggest thing is no matter how you ship it

LASH IT DOWN GOOD!!!! flat racks and containers take a beating when loaded and unloaded, youd be amazed how much abuse they really see

droopypete

I just saw this one, at the CFS at work we cover the military trucks with a tarp, plastic but heavier then the blue ones, SOBs are almost as heavy as a canvas tarp. but then we pinch the tarp under the cribbing that we put under the axles or frame, how ever the cribbing was built. so when they are loaded generaly the only thing you see are the wheels and tires. some times smaller blue tarps will be used to cover the wheels and tires also but not always. thats just what we do

biggest thing is no matter how you ship it

LASH IT DOWN GOOD!!!! flat racks and containers take a beating when loaded and unloaded, youd be amazed how much abuse they really see
Good advice, thank you.
Peter.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
droopypete,

My advise on the flatrack is to get a price. They are way over the top mate. Ro/Ro works OK inbound to the US from Aus, however I have no experience with outbound. Again, get prices from a Melbourne shipping broker.

Deuce dimensions:

Length= 7.0m
Width= 2.4m
Height= 2.8m
Weight= 5910kg wo/w, 6140kg w/w

if you have any friends or contacts in Southern California, give them a shout, because obviously your shipping costs will equal or exceed the truck purchase cost. If you ship out of Long Beach (Los Angeles Harbor) you will be taking advantage of one of the higher utilization corridors and possibly realize the greatest savings through efficiency.

My recommendation is to to ship via container. C'mon over and have a wrenching holiday!!! Break the rig down till she fits inside and G'won with the shipping. You can stuff anything you like inside the container 'cause it's all yours and the cost is already efficient 'cause it's already gonna be over half full, which is the efficiency rule of thumb for outbound containers to Central America.

If you need any So Cal contacts, give us a shout and we will get you set. There are a few members inland a ways from the port who are active with these rigs and probably have room and tools to get you going.You would arrange to have a container dropped off in their yard and after you secure the disassembled load, the container can be trucked to port.

your goal is do-able if you have a plan and a few friends.

Oh, the legal part is a non-issue. Aus is not on the "no-go" list and unless you are Saddam Husein you are good to go. You may have troubles with private sellers due to mis-information about export controlled items. Businesses know the rules and will sell you you.

Cheers,

Rick

Last edited:

droopypete

droopypete,

My advise on the flatrack is to get a price. They are way over the top mate. Ro/Ro works OK inbound to the US from Aus, however I have no experience with outbound. Again, get prices from a Melbourne shipping broker.

Deuce dimensions:

Length= 7.0m
Width= 2.4m
Height= 2.8m
Weight= 5910kg wo/w, 6140kg w/w

if you have any friends or contacts in Southern California, give them a shout, because obviously your shipping costs will equal or exceed the truck purchase cost. If you ship out of Long Beach (Los Angeles Harbor) you will be taking advantage of one of the higher utilization corridors and possibly realize the greatest savings through efficiency.

My recommendation is to to ship via container. C'mon over and have a wrenching holiday!!! Break the rig down till she fits inside and G'won with the shipping. You can stuff anything you like inside the container 'cause it's all yours and the cost is already efficient 'cause it's already gonna be over half full, which is the efficiency rule of thumb for outbound containers to Central America.

If you need any So Cal contacts, give us a shout and we will get you set. There are a few members inland a ways from the port who are active with these rigs and probably have room and tools to get you going.You would arrange to have a container dropped off in their yard and after you secure the disassembled load, the container can be trucked to port.

your goal is do-able if you have a plan and a few friends.

Oh, the legal part is a non-issue. Aus is not on the "no-go" list and unless you are Saddam Husein you are good to go. You may have troubles with private sellers due to mis-information about export controlled items. Businesses know the rules and will sell you you.

Cheers,

Rick
I am constantly blown away by you guys!!, I have only been here a short while, yet the transfer of knowlage and frendship is overwhelming, you guys rock.

My preferance would be a shipping container, as I will buy other items like tyres and the like and the security will be better in a locked up steel box.

A very good mate of mine imports GM trucks to Australia from the US, he has a yard in Dallas TX, I am very comfortable with him handling the transport side of it as I trust him implicitly and value his advice.

The wrenching holiday apeals to me greatly and as I am not Saddam Hussein :grin: I should get along well over there.

I have already been contacted privately by members offering to sell their trucks to me, they have been very helpful so far.

Thanks again Rick, if I can return the favour from across the pacific please don't hesitate to ask.
Peter.

Mikey90744

one thing youve got to think about if your going to break it down and load it insdie the box, how are you going to m move this 10,000+ lb pig with no tires on it

as to what rchalmers3 said about shipping to the LA/LB complex then over sea, what I understood him saying is ship it from point A to point B where it will be broken down loaded in a box and be shipped to point C. as long as there is rail access where he buys/loads it, it doesnt have to get shipped to the southern calif area. If he loads it in a box in texas the shipping line will just put it on a rail car and send it to the LA/LB complex and it will be cheaper then having it flat bedded across the country if thats what you were meaning