• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A turbo worth the hassle on these?

tequilaiam

First, sorry if this is explained elsewhere, I haven't been able to find it with search.

Anyway, plenty of info on HOW to put a turbo on the 6.2 but I haven't seen much about the improvement. Any more power, any better MPGs?

I don't like how the extra tubing clutters up the engine compartment but I spotted a 6.5 turbo and manifold in the local scrap yard so I can get over the extra complication if the price is right and it will improve effeciency or power.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please overlook any comments wreckerman, papabear, or 73m819 might make about CUCV's...

tequilaiam

LOL, so then I shouldn't worry about sourcing olive-drab colored neon lights and a bolt-on wing for a K5 blazer? Rats. I hoped wreckerman would think I'm cool :)

Let's just say quality comes from viewers requirements. For cost, simplicity and effeciency this CUCV is the greatest thing I've ever purchased.

Back on topic, since simplicity and ease of maintenance is one of my requirements, has anyone heard of a "rear" mount turbo being setup on one of these being tried? I was thinking right inside the frame rails after the x-fer case. I know LS1 drag car guys have done setups like this to avoid the problems with crossover pipes.

that's a long shot I'm sure since GM parts bolt right up but it would make the turbo easier to "live" with.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Too much work and money? Are you planning on having someone else do it for you? I did mine in a day. Also I paid $750 for the entire setup with an engine. Turned around and sold the engine for ~$600 in parts. Added about $100 in exhaust parts. So I've got $350 and a day's labor in mine. I'd spend that over again!

cshaw07

I paid $750 for a complete 6.5 with blown head gasket, an elec lift pump, and 3" SS exhaust. I guarantee ill have less than $400 in it when its all said and done. hey patracy, can you give me an idea of pricing out the 6.5 parts? No idea where to begin.

biggestc69

I know that everyone says that its a different truck after the upgrade, but I was wondering about real world experiences on the CUCV setup for towing.. I know it is what it is and it will never be a D Max or Cummins. My concern is pulling a 9k lb camper up some decent hills. I know that EGT's are a limiting factor. I'm not going cross country maybe a couple hundred miles round trip at the most. Is anybody running water/meth injection to keep EGT's in check?

84cucv1ton

I got an early 6.5 turbo often truck that was being scrapped for 200.. From what I read the later 6.5 turbos are better. I think for $200 I did okay. I got to drive a civilian K 30 with a 6.5 turbo. There is a big difference.. Only drove it for two days. The guy that owns it said he even gets a few more miles per gallon.. I definitely think it's worth it..

86m1028

Too much work and money? Are you planning on having someone else do it for you? I did mine in a day. Also I paid $750 for the entire setup with an engine. Turned around and sold the engine for ~$600 in parts. Added about $100 in exhaust parts. So I've got $350 and a day's labor in mine. I'd spend that over again!
Yes too much money FOR a 6.2 IN MY OPINION.
I won't do more than a rebuilt starter & glow plugs in a 6.2 & that's just to sell it.
after that I'm done with it, it's SCRAP to me.

In no way am I trying to start an argument with anyone on here.
It takes a certain kind of person to want & enjoy a 6.2.
I just won't spend any time or money on these motors.
New these motors have 155hp = GUTLESS.
If I wanted an Eco motor I would buy a Eco car but that's not gonna happen.
I'm in the middle of installing a 98 350/4l80 in my m1028.
I respect the group of people on here that are modding the 6.2's BUT I
Feel the motors are a waste of time.

Good luck with builds, I just choose to go a different way.

Like Wreckerman said "why polish a turd" :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont think I can justify three grand for a new kit but piecing together a 6.5 kit on the cheap is well worth it. I haven't found the need yet for my truck. I'm not towing much for sure.

WARWAG

I dont think I can justify three grand for a new kit but piecing together a 6.5 kit on the cheap is well worth it. I haven't found the need yet for my truck. I'm not towing much for sure.

I will be into my kit for a bit over $600 if memory serves me correct. That includes all new gaskets from Banks and a new Turbo with everything else being used but in excellent shape. The Banks exhaust system in also in great shape.

197thhhc

Back on topic, since simplicity and ease of maintenance is one of my requirements, has anyone heard of a "rear" mount turbo being setup on one of these being tried? I was thinking right inside the frame rails after the x-fer case. I know LS1 drag car guys have done setups like this to avoid the problems with crossover pipes.

that's a long shot I'm sure since GM parts bolt right up but it would make the turbo easier to "live" with.
Remote turbos are great. A little extra plumbing on the oil lines but not to hard. It will definately keep down the clutter in your engine bay. Most people had no idea my z28 was turbochaged until the heard the car run (no muffler the whistle gave it away) Plus I didnt have to fool with an intercooler, the longer tubing to the intake really let the charge cool. And no I didnt have any turbo lag issues.

WARWAG

I know that everyone says that its a different truck after the upgrade, but I was wondering about real world experiences on the CUCV setup for towing.. I know it is what it is and it will never be a D Max or Cummins. My concern is pulling a 9k lb camper up some decent hills. I know that EGT's are a limiting factor. I'm not going cross country maybe a couple hundred miles round trip at the most. Is anybody running water/meth injection to keep EGT's in check?

Not going to happen.

WARWAG

A diffrent truck as in it actually gets out of its own way. Can pull grades at speed and not be passed by the grandma in her handicap stickered Prius. You can tow a "small" trailer but nothing like a 9,000 lbs behemouth. IF you have to run with the big Boys in a M10?? then put a cummins in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks