• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A turbo worth the hassle on these?

trukhead

My CUCV no, it's not worth it. Your CUCV, do whatever you want. If I want a turbo in a CUCV, it's going to get a 6bt mechanical.:popcorn:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A word on towing for a second. Just some real world experience from today. I have an 86 M1008 with a steel topper and quite a few tools on board. I've had an M109A3 van body in my yard long enough for it to rust completely through in areas. Lets say, 12 years. I'm cleaning up and I loaded it on my car trailer this AM, tossed a few things in the back and headed to the scrappers AO. Towed just fine at 55 MPH on the way there. Crossed the scales at 14,160 gross and came off at 9220 tare. The little 6.2 moved the weight pretty good for what it is. No Cummins, no crazy HP but it has just enough to do what I did today comfortably. Pics? It was 900 degrees out, no way an I stopping in the heat to take a pic. I can copy the weight slip.

MarcusOReallyus

The little 6.2 moved the weight pretty good for what it is. No Cummins, no crazy HP but it has just enough to do what I did today comfortably.

Sounds like it won't have any problem being filled with big firewood and towing my M101A2 trailer filled with the same. That's what I got it for.

biggestc69

WARWAG do you have any experience with the Banks setup's EGT's while towing? Thats what I was hoping to find out. How fast EGT's climb while hitting a big long hill. I pull the 9k lb load with it out to the lake 20 round mile trip up some good hills with the NA 6.2 and it does pretty good for what it is.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Exactly the same as the stock 6.5 setup. Actually the banks setup was the precursor to the 6.5 offering from GM. It was actually a factory option at one point.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny, I'd love to have a turbo on my 6.2 Burb but have no interest in putting one on my 1008

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Very simple to make from nothing more than a few bits of metal, threaded rod, nuts, and a spring.

SSG ALBANESE

One recommendation for turbo'ing the the 6.2 for added strenght and reliability. Purchase a stud girdle kit. It attaches to three main bearings on the crank. This spreads the extra stress evenly on the crank. Also if you want throw a gear drive in.

I did both of these mods when I rebuilt mine from my M1008 just in case I put a turbo on it. Plus it doesnt hurt doing it.

As for towing up hills and EGT's here is my opinion from my experience. Before towing check and double check all fuilds, leaks, especially in your coolant system. If you have old radiator hoses a large hill can be the one shot one kill. Install new ones, its cheaper than a tow truck. Also expect to be slow... know you will piss people off that are behind you hehe. once it slows down dont expect drive to keep you going throw it into second, first if you really need it just be mindful of your speed when doing so. The truck will scream but a snail may race you up the hill.

If you plan to make this habit invest in a real guage for your engine temp and trans, (buy mechanical not electric). DO NOT RELY on the dummy lights. They work when it is too late.

Be sure you have replaced the internal transmission filter to make sure you have good flow as well. May want to invest in a aftermarket deep pan for increased capacity.

I have pics but they are on my laptop at home. If you want I can post later. Hope this helps.

tequilaiam

I'm not going to even think about spending more than two or three hundred bucks total. If I see a 6.5 setup in a junk yard, I'll grab it. A local place quoted me $75 for the turbo and left header but I never went back to try to remove it, not in this heat wave.

One more generic 6.2 question: are the exhaust ports/header patterns the same as other chevy V8 blocks? If I do anything I may do a "weld your own" header thing over the winter but I can't figure out if the things for all other chevy small blocks will work on this.

Thanks!

sandcobra164

I rode in Stonepickers M1028 Dually that has a 6.5 and a Banks Sidewinder on it. That thing would spin all 4 rears on dirt and fishtail as he floored it at around 20-25 MPH. He claims it'll lay rubber on pavement and I believe him. I'll have one on my truck before all is said and done. Also, he's still 24V, he fab'd a battery bracket that allows him to run two Optima Red Tops. Nice Truck, clean install.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've uhh powerbraked mine with ease. Romping down on it at idle will spin on pavement as well.

tequilaiam

One more question since I seem to have been bitten by this turbo bug: Do the exhaust manifolds swap sides or bolt up inverted? That is, can I take my stock passenger manifold and put it on the drivers side? The bolt patterns look the same.

Why you ask? I don't like how the crossovers in other projects pass under the engine and kill ground clearance or risk interfering with front driveshaft. Was thinking of routing the crossover in front of the engine somewhere. Using the 6.5 passenger turbo manifold and the existing others should give me everything if I mount the turbo on the drivers side assuming those bolt patterns work and there's no other interference.

Plus, I can't find anywhere someone's tried that before.