• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A very old junkyard

OLDCHEV4X4

I had to do a transmission install at a friends house this past weekend, and as i was going there it dawned on me that my route was going to take me past a very old junk yard. This junkyard is very old. Started in 1955. And they never scraped in all these years. There are fields and fields of cars and trucks. Lots of pickys and poisen ivy. I was there 3-4 years ago and the old German lady took me around in a beat-up s-10 with front brakes only.

Anyway, i remember seeing a army truck! This is before i took a serious interest to them, so didnt look too hard. Plus i was on a mission for 67-72 Chevy truck parts.
I had my camera with me so i decided to stop.

As I approached the place my hart sank. Trees were cleared, over grown fields were empty, roll-off dumpsters were in view. I few cars and trucks here and there, but cleaned out. OH NO! I pulled in and there was still equipment and trucks around the garage.
There's still hope.
A hand written sign read: Closed No trespassing.
My hart sank again. Im too late.

Just as i was getting back in the truck i heard a door open at the house. A old lady with a short sleeve blouse, a long skirt and a dirty apron on ,came out of the house. It was the old German lady.
"What do you want. Were closed." She was grumpy.
In the nicest voice i could muster up, i told her i was here before and wanted to know if the army truck was still here.
"I'm not selling parts, only whole vehicles."
I asked if i could take some pictures because i now some guys that might be interested.
Long pause....
"If your here to sight see ,forget it!"
I assured her that i was serious.
"Hold on."
She comes out with some keys and says" I'll take you up." Its 15 frickin degrees outside . I have carharts and long johns on. She has short sleeves a skirt and her dirty apron on.
So we get into the same beat-up s-10 as last time and drive up to the gate, in the snow. She opens the heavy gate and pulls the s-10 into 4 wheel drive.
Silence......I dont want to piss her off worse by talking.

We come around a corner and there it is!! Its still here!
I think it is a CCKW. No bed on it. I think its a GMC. So i snap some pictures and get back in.
She says" I have another army truck":!: I don't know about this one.

She starts asking me questions about when i was there last time, where i'm from, where i'm going, etc etc, and......she said "Ok, i remember you"
Suddenly, her attitude changes a little. Only a little, but i notice it.

The next truck is burried in picky's and parts. I think its a G506. And its a dump truck! She said her husband used it around the yard and it ran and drove when it was parked.

So we head back to the shop and there is a green bull dozer there. It looks military , so i take a picture.

We stand out side ( in the cold) and talk. She is unfazed by the cold weather. Her attitude gets even nicer now and she takes down my name and number and says she will call me with prices. Her husband is sick and they had to scrap to pay medical bills. The CCKW has only been there 15 years, the G506 has been ther since the 50's. The older section of the yard got scraped, but she saved the trucks. When i left she was happy and called me by my first name. I told her to keep warm.

Randy

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With scrap prices as low as they are now (around $200 a ton), it may have been more profitable to take all their cars and trucks they had in the yard and auction them off. There was a similar auction of classic cars and trucks out of a junkyard in the Midwest back in 2006, netted a good deal more than scrap, which was a lot higher then!

SOMEONE SAVE THEM! Lord knows we have a couple WWII buffs in this house....

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wanted to point a couple things out :

1. I doubt that crawler-dozer is military. The green is wrong, and I don't ever recall reading about Drott selling dozers to the military. Back in the 50s and 60s, CATERPILLAR ruled the military dozer scene.

2. Note on the Chevy's hood, you can still see remnants of the numbers.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scrap's low right now, but if they scrapped them last year, they made a killing... If I only had some cash...:cry:

waayfast

Very good story and hope they will end up at a good home.I did get a chuckle though when I saw the bug shield------they must have some dang slow bugs around there!:p

garp

The Drott is actually a IH TD4 or therabouts. Drott Iron Works made the attachments that were installed on the base model machines. 99% of those were IH. Very interesting story.

EZFEED

Hey Oldchevy,

How old of a scrapyard do mean by OLD. Do they have any 20's 30's cars (remanents) there?

How much is she asking for the little dozer?

FrankUSMC

Stampy
The truck is a CCKW with some "bubba" mods to the hood and side panels. If you make a run to the beach, stop in I have 3 WW2 Internationals here to show you what they look like, sadly I just sold the Dodge 6x6 (WC63) but I can show you photos of her. The offer stands, if in the area, stop in, thats how I started leaning about the old WWII trucks 30 years ago.
Take care.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

OLDCHEV4X4

Hey Oldchevy,

How old of a scrapyard do mean by OLD. Do they have any 20's 30's cars (remanents) there?

How much is she asking for the little dozer?
ezfeed, unfortunatly the oldest part was cleaned out. And the woods that grew up around the cars was cut down. Old......whell they had some Bonny and Clyde looking cars and trucks.

She said she would call me with prices. No word yet.

So FrankUSMC, the first truck is definalty a GMC CCKW?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks