• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A very old junkyard

FrankUSMC

Oldchev4x4
Yes, that is the remains of a closed cab CCKW. I had a very nice one back in the 1980s when they were being bought in by White Owl parts company here in NC. I bought my closed cab for $2800, no rust, ran great, and had great brakes.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like a banjo axle under the front end, and a transfer shift lever inside. That would make it an early CCKW. I've got an EARLY CCW, that looks the same, (not long ago, found an original all steel bed for it too) They are 6x4 and have an I-beam axle under the front. It also looks as if the nomenclature plate is still under the dash on the firewall above the transmission bump. It looks like a real nice truck for its age. They're built "GMC Tough".

wheelie

i'm in the york area and into cj's so....any old cj's in there. The CCKW perks my interest as well. Keep us posted. maybe stop by the yard again and talk to her again in a week or so.

OLDCHEV4X4

I called the lady back because she didn't call me back with a price. She said she would ask the old man and call me back.

I'm still waiting.

OLDCHEV4X4

Well, i called her again. She said she asked the old man how much, and he didn't answer. I think the old lady is seanile and the old man is expired.
This is all very strange.
I will keep working on this. I would hate to see them become property of the state and get crushed.

Randy

wheelie

Any other family memberes around you could talk to? They would likely gain control of the property should the old couple become incapable, if they are not already. Keep a close eye on things cause things tend to happen fast in these situations. Thanks

majortom

The dozer is a Drott skid shovel. It was built in wausau wis. in the late 40s through the mid 50s. the one you found is an early one. drotts are realy cool. IH 4cyl multi fuel eng, 5&2 trany , wide street tracks, 4 way high lift bucket that opens up to become a blade. Dont let the size fool you, it weighs 20,000 lbs and makes 100 hp. I have two working units, one restored with backhoe and rops. In my opinion the drott is much rarer and probably more valuable than the cckw. The IH club is huge, this is an early example of desirable model, and its military. this one should be saved. It looks like a runner. I will offer advice and contacts if someone gets it.

OLDCHEV4X4

Ok, I finally got a responce from Sandy (the old German lady with the thick skin).

G506 Chevy $2500
CCKW GMC $3000

They both ran when parked.
The prices sound kinda high. What do ya think?

And the dozer.....she has a extra one for parts. But didn't give me a price.

If anyone wants more info send me a PM.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think she and her husband should have the life support disconnected. Those are stupid high prices for junkyard project trucks. I'd start at $750 for the Chevy, and same for the CCKW. And that's being generous.

wheelie

G-krebs, I don't know alot about this stuff but that sounds kinda crazy to me. Thanks for all your time on the subject though.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Three thousand, Might have to sell my CCKW, it is in somewhat better shape, though I've yet to start the restoration. Might get a chance this year, the cancer surgery has slowed me up considerably, and that truck is on the top of the list now. But that price for a GMC in that shape??? Somebody needs to get off the husbands meds. me thinks........:shock:

kastein

What are they worth scrap? My bet is they are assuming parts value for sheetmetal, drivetrain etc and scrap value for what's left when they come up with those numbers.

It's entirely unrealistic, but that's what they are probably thinking.

EDIT: scrap is what, 220 a ton for #1 iron now? I am going to assume ~10k pounds per truck. That's 1100 bucks each, maybe more. They won't go below that.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Has ANYBODY looked at the date of this thread, the last active date before the current 3 post IS 02/17/09, almost 3 years, the junk yard finds are most likely already toasters

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks