• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a2 and a3 in snow

bobski

Took out the a2 and the a3 in the snow. The a2 can do some good donuts but sucks compared to the a3. The a3 could go through every big drift we had, and would just rock through the 5-10" of hard packed snow. The a2 would go but not that good.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHaSC_fSKkA[/media]

DieselBob

I didn't have any problems getting around last February in my A2 when we had 24 ~ 28 inches of snow. Aired down the tires to 20 PSI and never had a problem. No added weight in the back either.

Attachments

flyxpl

Have not been in much deep snow , but in just 3-4 inches and some hard pack snow my A3 does well but the A2 actually got kind of squirly on me . I could feel the rearend floating around on me . I am sure the tires are the difference .

DieselBob

goodguyzy

Ive driven both in the snow and yes the A3 does better, and yes its because of the tires. Looks like you have a nice collection of OD iron there. I'm definitely jealous

bobski

I think that if you had chains on the a2 it would be better than an a3 with chains in the snow. The big fat tires of the a3 just plow through the snow but the a2 tires just make a track.

bratpackdad

Thanks for posting that vid, very cool. I would like to see a vid of A3 on the same surface.
I run T831's and they have no problem in snow running up to the mountains.

dittle

I've went through similiar snow depth this year while pulling my M105A2 trailer with my stock Deuce. Never did have the issues with it that you did just trying to get going. Don't know if the snow was packed differently or what.

MATT

I have had experience with both A2 and A3's in the snow/mud/sand. The A3's are very impressive.

Not my best technical terms but - Duals do worse in the snow, mud, sand etc. because their is more surface area contacting the ground for slippage. Taller skinny tires do best.

oldMan99

Subscribed.

Please... a picture if the A3 that day...

Not being from snow country and have VERY limited experienced in it... (That is the cold white wet stuff right??) Would chains have made a lot of difference here?

I know there are tons of variables, just like there are 1,000 kinds of sand and 1,000 kinds of mud, but... Lockers front and rear air down tires some and maybe say 500lbs in the back of the bed... Think that would have been "Night and day" difference here (w/o having to add chains)??

I know that chains can help in mud but not in sand.

Just wonding/learning about that snow stuff you lucky guys get to play in... :shock:

MATT

Chains will make the most difference. The weight thing only helps to a point, but even if you had 9K lbs in the back you still need some way to apply that weight to the pavement efficiently - chains or skinny small tires with large tire tread lugs.

Example: We had one of our M35A2 fire trucks with chains on only two tires on the rear. We were trying to clear a path through a snow drift for smaller trucks to pass through. We had 900 gallons of water in our water tank. With the water on board we were not having much luck. We emptied the tank to 3/4, then 1/2, then 1/4, with no noticeable difference in performance. We ended up breaking the the snow eventually.

bobski

here is the a3. Not that cool of vid. Just went right on thought.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txkEKgYCw0g[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks