• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a2 and a3 in snow

oldMan99

Here are some more vids of the a3s in the packed snow drift about 3-4 feet deep.

All I can say is that when you come to a drift in an m35 a3 go fast and dont stop! I found out that if you think your stuck dont stop and keep going. You go very very slow with all tiers spinning, but most of the times you will get out.
Now when the drift is hard pack and over 3 ft deep you cant go no where after you sink in,(go fast) chains would not help you out!
Did the a3 in the video have locker or open diffs?

I see your playing in the yard (more or less) but what if you needed to get somewhere as in miles away - Say 20 miles for sake of argument? On unplowed roads. Can a vehicle such as this, with singles aired down, chains and lockers realistically make such a trip? I'm obviously not talking about making any great speed, I would just be happy with good steady progress. Realistic or no? If no, how do you do it in such a vehicle. (And don't say "Mattracks"...lol..

For perspective, the reason I ask this is: All my adult live, in fact since about age 5 or 6 I have lived in the southern US and never had to deal with this. However, once my M920 RV is completed I will be making a trip to Prudhoe Bay during the winter and I'll have to deal with that white stuff to do it. Is there anything I can build into the truck to make it more capable in those conditions (Other than a main and tail rotor and some flight controls in the cab) I'm Talking about driveability/mobility, not creature comfort.

Pooch1128

I don't know about that white stuff your playing in, but I can tell you that having both an A2 and A3 converted over to fire service that the A3 works much better in the woods in swampy areas following behind doziers has they plow lines around fires. I believe that the auto trans has as much difference has the super singles in making the A3 better. Have fun..

hof3414

how much air is in the A2 tires. I' m running about 40 PSI in my rears and it seems super bouncy on hard top, but I think its easier on the rear axles turning. However it really sucks in the snow and mud, it just hops. If roads are covered I 'll probably run around 20-25 in rears. Anybody else air down alot during winter? Hows your A2's with NDTs do. Doesn't help I can only get my sprage adjusted to work in reverse and not forward.

NEIOWA

In the picture below….

What is that white camouflage covering material?

It almost seems to have been poured into place or something.

Looks like it is pretty effective at hiding trucks, cars, buildings, fire hydrants, slow moving old people…

Is that some sort of top secret military camouflage system or what?

What do they call that stuff?

Is it difficult to apply and maintain?

Is it expensive?

Where can I order some?

What would the shipping cost to get it to me here in FLORIDA?

Let me know so I can see about ordering some after I swim my laps in the pool in the morning...

:cool::cool::cool:

What you see is solid state global warming. Send me a SASE and I'll mail you some. 4" additional this morning.

Get chains for all tires. I'd run on all rear tires or none (not only partial). Chains make all the difference in the world in slick conditions. load/ballast in the bed.

smgman

I picked up a complete set of Chains for my a2 a few years back but have never tried them out . How bad are they to get on the truck ?
I noticed they cover both inside and outside tires compared to the chains I use at work in the FIre dept we only put the chains on the outside tire. With only the outside tire it is easy we back the fire engine up with the inside tires on a set of ramps.

Would imagine they go through a lot with chains on all 10 tires.

Akicita

We got about 12" to 15" of snow.
I took my M35A2 with standard 9:00x20 NDTs out and did not have a problem until I had to stop at a light on an already plowed road. I eased down on the brakes but still slid to a stop. Luckily, nobody turned off the crossroad to serve as my new wheel chock.

Attachments

Takai13

I seem to remember a day several years ago where it was warmer in Anchorage than in Miami. Be careful what you ask for....you may get some of this camoflage.
I would think that most Floridians would cease to exist if it snowed. They certainly don't have the wardrobe for it.

trukhead

Tractorpuller1 cool video! I now want a whistler duece! what is the year, model etc of this duece so I can keep an eye out for a cherry example on the surplus site. I've got an A3 that I really like and am going to keep it bone stock and now I want to find a cherry one of these whistlers with low hours and a perhaps a rebuild??? wishfil thiinking but that's the plan.

tractorpuller1

I like it too! It is an American General, 1972 M35a2 w/w
It has a rebuilt engine, new trans, new brakes, new radiator plus a lot of other stuff.
Good luck with your quest!

I use mine for all kinds of stuff!

emr

i think the A2s tires were not aired down , if they were it would be a different story, been there they work great.., the radials are already giving more traction, flexible and a modern tire, , the ndccs need to be drastically aired down to do the job they were meant to do and they actually do very very well,sorry ... driver error :)

ODdave

I know i have posted this before but i went throught this pile with my deuce, got stuck the first time going slow. moved to a fresh spot and went a lil faster and went right through.

Attachments

oldMan99

I like it too! It is an American General, 1972 M35a2 w/w
It has a rebuilt engine, new trans, new brakes, new radiator plus a lot of other stuff.
Good luck with your quest!

I use mine for all kinds of stuff!
That video answered a lot of questions for me. I have seen other "MV driving in the snow" videos but that one clearly demonstrated capability.

Basically stock or modified?

Chains? (If so, on what wheels?)

Tire size?

Tire pressure for the video?

What kind of normal road MPG does a truck like that get?

Max highway speed?

Thanks again!

tractorpuller1

That video answered a lot of questions for me. I have seen other "MV driving in the snow" videos but that one clearly demonstrated capability.

Basically stock or modified?

Chains? (If so, on what wheels?)

Tire size?

Tire pressure for the video?

What kind of normal road MPG does a truck like that get?

Max highway speed?

Thanks again!

Bone stock.

No chains yet.

40 lbs all.

900 X 20

10 ish

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks