• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 Crew Cab Build Starts

Dave08

Deuces Wild,

I have been following the build and I think that it is great. This is the first time for me to send a question but I have to ask. I am embarking on a quad cab project of my own. I am using a M109 for the donor vehicle. My question is where did you obtain the extra cab for your build? I would also like to ask if it would be possible to come see your project? I am located in Titusville Florida and it is not that far of a drive. I think that this is great. I also have the Michlin 53" tires that I will use with a set of converted 5 ton Super single radial two piece rims.
Thanks,
Dave08

usmctopgun

Deuces Wild,

I have been following the build and I think that it is great. This is the first time for me to send a question but I have to ask. I am embarking on a quad cab project of my own. I am using a M109 for the donor vehicle. My question is where did you obtain the extra cab for your build? I would also like to ask if it would be possible to come see your project? I am located in Titusville Florida and it is not that far of a drive. I think that this is great. I also have the Michlin 53" tires that I will use with a set of converted 5 ton Super single radial two piece rims.
Thanks,
Dave08
Not trying to thread jack, but donor cabs can be found pretty easily. Gentlemen in north GA has a few. I bought a couple for my crew cab project, so I have an extra as well. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on locating one. I'm sure you can find one in FL as well, keep you eye on CL.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Not trying to thread jack, but donor cabs can be found pretty easily. Gentlemen in north GA has a few. I bought a couple for my crew cab project, so I have an extra as well. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on locating one. I'm sure you can find one in FL as well, keep you eye on CL.

If you need a trailer to haul one on I can let you borrow mine since you live so close to me.

Lonesome715

You have a few in Columbus huh, well I think I need to check them out.

Dave08

Thanks and I have located a few in Tampa and some in Gainsville. I am just trying to find the time in the work schedule to take a look at them. What is "CL"? I am not familiar with that term/acronym.
Thanks

Dave08

Wow! Spent the afternoon with Apopka. Drove up to see his project and let me tell you that he has done a great job. The pictures do not do the project justice. During our visit we discussed a lot of issues. He removed the rear axles by himself which he was not joking about how hard it was. I am amazed at the amount of work he has accomplished in such a short period of time by himself. He has a great work area and I hope to spend more time with him and assist in building his project. He gave me a lot of great pointers. I want to say Thanks again for a great informative afternoon. You really do not know what is involved just by looking at pictures within the forums. You have to see and touch the work in person to get a real feel for what is involved and what lies ahead with your own project. I am glad that I had the opportunity to spend some time during the visit to see how things were done and what Apopka's thoughts were. Thanks again.

Dave08

ApopkaFL

Banned
Wow! Spent the afternoon with Apopka. Drove up to see his project and let me tell you that he has done a great job. The pictures do not do the project justice. During our visit we discussed a lot of issues. He removed the rear axles by himself which he was not joking about how hard it was. I am amazed at the amount of work he has accomplished in such a short period of time by himself. He has a great work area and I hope to spend more time with him and assist in building his project. He gave me a lot of great pointers. I want to say Thanks again for a great informative afternoon. You really do not know what is involved just by looking at pictures within the forums. You have to see and touch the work in person to get a real feel for what is involved and what lies ahead with your own project. I am glad that I had the opportunity to spend some time during the visit to see how things were done and what Apopka's thoughts were. Thanks again.

Dave08

Dave,

I was glad to show you around; I hope you do get the chance to come see the build again and I do hope you have a chance to come help out sometime. I just hope its before all the HARD STUFF is done, ( LOL ). Anyway come anytime just call me the night before and let me know you will be down the next day.

Rodman

Gunfreak25

With the long nose that the A3's have and the double cab, the thing looks like an old diesel freight train on pavement. Awesome work. Can't imagine how much beer you've gone through.....:beer:

ApopkaFL

Banned
With the long nose that the A3's have and the double cab, the thing looks like an old diesel freight train on pavement. Awesome work. Can't imagine how much beer you've gone through.....:beer:
To be honest I drive 45 miles one way everyday to work on her I dont and havent drink any beer..

ApopkaFL

Banned
Update

Today I worked to re-install the Fuel tank and second set of steps. I placed my second set up steps very close together so I could keep the Fuel Tank as close to the cab as I could. This was done to be sure the 1600 R20 XZL (53") would have room to clear the Fuel Tank, with out having to move the Axle back any further then It needed to be. I had to turn the Fuel Tank around so the Fuel hole was in towards the Frame under the bed. I do not have a problem with that cause I can still fill the tank. There is 10" in between the fill hole and the top where the bed is. I personally think it looks good that way. I will post some photos..

Rodman

Attachments

ApopkaFL

Banned
Did some more work today. I am starting to see progress and feeling good about it. Today I mounted the other two 1600 R20s on the rims. I also built the rear axle housing today. Its begining to look like a Deuce again. My friend that is helping me, by providing me a place to build my truck, came to me and gave me a set off electronic key less door openers with poppers. He is going to have his body man shave my door handles and install them.

The rear doors will be suicide. I am not going to install the key less entry on them. I will add poppers but I will just reach in when I get in the truck to open the back door if needed. The handle will be right there behind my seat.

I am looking for a dummy fuel tank and hangers to use on the other side so it will match the right side. I hope to find a A3 tank...

Rodman

Attachments

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats the plan for the dummy fuel tank? Morph it into a toolbox? Clean water tank? Why not just plumb it in and use it as a fuel tank for extended range?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks