• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 Crew Cab Build Starts

vinny-socom1

nice build, side note since you have access to a welder & faber maybe fix the hood?? I have a tough time with the hood up in the front and down in the back...

Looks Good can't wiat to see it at the GA Rally

Vinny

ApopkaFL

Banned
nice build, side note since you have access to a welder & faber maybe fix the hood?? I have a tough time with the hood up in the front and down in the back...

Looks Good can't wiat to see it at the GA Rally

Vinny
I have my eye one a fiber glass hood. I started building the top yesterday. Its going to turn out great. Here is some photos. Almost ready to start the body work. Then It will be ready for paint. I have deiced that this truck is going to be a tribute truck to show support for our troops. I am aggressively looking for a good air brush artist to do the truck.

Attachments

ApopkaFL

Banned
Progress chart is coming along well. I installed the front shocks today, still working the top. I had a little bit of metal to replace. I should have it back on the truck tomorrow. Fatmat I do believe that they are going to sponsor my build and send me some sound proof mat for the inside.

Attachments

A

A/C Cages

She looks good, I cant tell from the pic, Is the mounting straping only 14 gauge metal? Seems too thin if it is??? Pic isnt clear enough to tell but the color and texture of the metal looks like light weight strapping that is used in normal on the road only trucks. I have seen those personally get ripped apart going offroad.

What we did to combat this problem that we had incure over 3 shafts later was to build another 14G strap and lay it overtop the original one. Doubling it up actually worked and is still working after 3 years of on and off roading. I wish I could show you pics but that truck is in Illinois right now.

Just a tip from our own nightmares.

asgtoolman

I got the drive shaft back today. It turned out nice and the price was right. I am going to have to build a custom Carrier Bearing holder to hold the drive shaft straight. But I have it all figured out. I got all the break lines hooked backed up. Maybe this weekend I will get to test drive it.

Rodman
Good luck on the test drive [hopefully] this weekend; I'm sure it will be a milestone in the build process !!

Dave08

Rodman....I wish I could get back there again! Everything is looking sweet. The drive shaft looks good; however, A/C Cages has a point about the strength and we can learn something from his past experience.....wish he had pictures of his modification; maybe later when he can view the truck again. I have to compliment you on the roof fabrication!!! Did you got help on that from your Friends? I need to know how you shaped the metal; english wheel on the back corners? If I remember correctly, you started with s soft canvas top on the original vehicle....let me know. Good luck on the test drive and let us all know how it goes and do not get intimate with the same pole that your friend did with his hotrod! make sure the acelerator does not stick on you!
I guess we really lite a fire under you to get the beast done. Are you on a time line for KY?

Dave08:grd:

ApopkaFL

Banned
Time line yes, The roof was built like this. I started welding from the center to the outside. The out side was just pulled down and clamped then I welded it. I had to have the help of one guy cause it was a bit too much for me to handle by myself. The drive shaft tubing is real thick. I can not remember the gauge but Central Florida Drive shaft; these boys been in business over 40 years. They were fully aware of the application for the build of the shaft. I asked about that he sated it would be fine.

Rodman

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice work on the top, it's gorgeous.

ApopkaFL

Banned
I got to take her for a spin today. I was sawing to the right side when I would move the steering wheel to the left. I was like WTF is this? So I went over to steve6x6x6 house and we noticed the tire was little low. The 1600`s only have 50psi so I bumped it up to 90 psi that fix it. Steve is going to build me a sway bar for the front. Here is another photo. Still much outside and inside body work to do.

Rodman

Attachments