• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 Fule filter change?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They key to getting it to start after changing the filter is to warm the engine up before hand. If its dead cold, and cold outside, the 3116 has enough trouble firing off. I'm with everyone else though in saying, don't change it until you're home unless you have issues.
Good thought. I have not done mine yet but I to feel get her warmed up pretty good and when she fires keep the rpm up good and it would help.

jaymcb

Made it home without having to change the filter. She'll run as high as I want to over the 2700 RPM redline**, so I think I was in good shape. I'll be warming her up, and cleaning the check valves and swapping the filter now that it's home.

**I never ran it over 2700 on purpose, but it crept up a couple of times

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made it home without having to change the filter. She'll run as high as I want to over the 2700 RPM redline**, so I think I was in good shape. I'll be warming her up, and cleaning the check valves and swapping the filter now that it's home. **I never ran it over 2700 on purpose, but it crept up a couple of times
Congratulations on a good recovery! I hope you enjoy your A3. One note concerning cleaning the check valves, which I highly encourage. The check valve on the top of the tank can be a bear to remove. The fuel line that connects to the elbow, is normally quite tight. When loosening the fuel line, it is very important to securly hold the elbow to keep from bending and potentially breaking the fitting the check valve screws into. When reinstalling, the same is true. The check valves are normally all crudded up and it will take some work to get it cleaned out. Make sure it operates freely when finished. I used high pressure air to make sure I got everything.

goodguyzy

Hello all,

I'm hoping to win a bid on a M109A3 in a couple of weeks. I have started compiling a list of what I will need to bring with me, in order to be prepared. This thread was extremely helpful, thank you!

About 600 miles for my (potential) recovery, so I want to have everything I will need up front. Thanks for the part numbers, very helpful.

~~yarry
************WARNING**********

An M109A3 is not what we are talking about, the 109 is an older truck that does not have a cat motor. The filters are not the same at all.

yarry23

Yeah - figured that out after about four or five more posts. Total n00b mistake, sry.

Now that I have started reading the service manuals I am (starting) to get clue enabled. Slowly, but surely...

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because the M109A2 was upgraded to a newer version but still based on the M35A2 basic truck. They went to the next descriptor which was A3 for the M109. Later, during the ESP program, the basic M35A2 truck was upgraded to the M35A3. When the M109 series was upgraded in the ESP program, since A3 had already been used, they had to go to the A4.