• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 pickup from Barstow, front flat tire

Rustygears

With all this CTIS love, you'll both attract the A3 haters. There's a contingent that really loves to trash the CTIS in the posts.

I am rebuilding mine and then I'll decide. I found that many fail due to poorly maintained air dryers that gum up due to over cycling as a result of air leaks, CTIS over-use (due to air leaks like the grommet, etc.) and then pass snot, water & oil into the air system. The manifold valve system hates that stuff and clogs up, as do the lines to the tires.

I've torn down a spare manifold and now repaired my original. I took pictures of the overhaul process and will publish a PDF on how to fix the CTIS and its operating principles. I figured it all out now and it's pretty stupid-simple. If you can maintain your timer controlled sprinklers, CTIS is a snap (and for reasons to be published, darn near identical).

I think it was Gary that gave me the tip off on the grommets - that was the key to my truck's issues! This site is an incredible resource.

LORENZ

"I took pictures of the overhaul process and will publish a PDF on how to fix the CTIS and its operating principles. "

Not to hurry you along, but hurry up with that PDF, inquiring minds are drooling over here.

LORENZ

Do I have to install seat belts in the back if I want to use those Troop transport seats in CA? I hope it's like a bus and nobody has to wear belts in the back.

My truck has complete Troop Transport seats right?

Last edited:

Rustygears

That's a great question because the law that stopped being able to ride in back of a pickup indicated you needed seats & seat belts for each passenger. Last I saw they were putting seat belts in new school buses.

kilness

What's it take to completely break an a3 tire down? I've got 4 tires that leak down and want to replace both the o ring and the rubber grommets. Would it be best to take these to a tire shop or is it possible to do it myself. Is the runflat a pain to get off the rim and back on?

I don't mean to hijack this thread. I thought since it's about tires for the a3 it would be pertinent to ask.

Thanks.

LORENZ

That's not a high jack, I'd like to know too.

Rusty, is that a complete bench package that I have in those pictures above or should I start looking for some pieces?

motomacguyver

What's it take to completely break an a3 tire down? I've got 4 tires that leak down and want to replace both the o ring and the rubber grommets. Would it be best to take these to a tire shop or is it possible to do it myself. Is the runflat a pain to get off the rim and back on?

I don't mean to hijack this thread. I thought since it's about tires for the a3 it would be pertinent to ask.

Thanks.

I took mine to the local HEAVY truck tire repair shop. (Had to look around a little) they removed the wheel, tire, run flat insert, and replaced both O rings, and reassembled the whole works for around 32$ each. A bargain in my opinion.

It would have taken me hours and possibly the loss of a finger or two to do this.

Yes they are a pain; I don't know how you would do it without a hydraulic tire machine.

ALL OF MY TIRE LEAK DOWN WAS DUE TO "O" RINGS, NOT CTIS. But my CTIS still isn't working correctly. But the tires DO hold air.

BTW make sure the internal groove in the run flat insert lines up with the valve stem or you won’t be able to add air.

Last edited:

Rustygears

It appears that you have the l & r fold down benches with the swing down legs. There is an optional center bench that adds two additional fold down rows. It looks like the benches are all there! But hard to tell from the photo if it's all complete and functional.

Regarding the a3 tire, there was a recent and oft repeated thread with step by step instructions on how to break down & reassemble the 2piece super singles. According to that post (search for it), you'll need a small crane or a-frame to lift & drop the tire onto the rim. Or for you Ramonans, you can go see Ron's tires. My heavy equipment buddies and water truck friends say Ron's knows what to do and save you injury.

Rustygears

Btw - Malaysia is the closest thing to a humid he'll that I can imagine. The heat isn't the killer but with near 100% humidity, I can only take about 2 hours out in the urban sun. Thankfully I leave for London in a few hours. Can't wait to get back to the left coast!

mktopside

Banned
I took mine to the local HEAVY truck tire repair shop. (Had to look around a little) they removed the wheel, tire, run flat insert, and replaced both O rings, and reassembled the whole works for around 32$ each. A bargain in my opinion.

It would have taken me hours and possibly the loss of a finger or two to do this.

Yes they are a pain; I don't know how you would do it without a hydraulic tire machine.

ALL OF MY TIRE LEAK DOWN WAS DUE TO "O" RINGS, NOT CTIS. But my CTIS still isn't working correctly. But the tires DO hold air.

BTW make sure the internal groove in the run flat insert lines up with the valve stem or you won’t be able to add air.
OH H*** YEA that's a bargain!!! If I could find a place near me that would do that I wouldn't even think of doing it myself.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OH H*** YEA that's a bargain!!! If I could find a place near me that would do that I wouldn't even think of doing it myself.
I have several places around me that do that kind of work. I have had tires on my A2 (900 X 20) and my A3 dismounted repaired, and remounted for very inexpensive prices. It is absolutely not worth the risk of injury or the substantial sweat and sore muscles to do it yourself. I broke down one A3 tire and wheel myself - - - never again! Look for heavy truck repair places in rural areas. Most will do most anything you need. One piece of advice - keep an eye on them if they are removing and re-installing the CTIS wheel cylinders.

shootiniron

I put A3 wheels and tires on my A2 last summer.Of course all of them were mounted the same direction so I flipped three of them myself in about two hours.It was definately hard work but definately doable.

LORENZ

Well I went out to Barstow to pick up my trailer and take a look at the a3.

She's perty!

A few things I noticed. What ever one of you MFr's that is stealing stuff of these truck in the yard, and think others property is your person pick a part junk yard has another thing coming. I found the rear lens and bulbs missing from the rear of the truck just like it showed in the GL auction pictures. I was hoping it was done by the military befor it got to the liquidation lot, but on close inspection there is very little weathering inside the rear housing and along the rubber o ring that seals the reflector in place, this tells me some body ripped it of while it was sitting in the liquidation yard.

I also found the cap to the winch reservoir mounted on the bumper missing. The oil inside was open to the elements, thanks a$$hole. You could have at least stuffed the opening with a rag. Again, I could tell it happened within days because the sand that was stuck to the inside lip of the resi was a thin layer, and hadn't had enough time to accumulate. I covered it with tape and a piece of wire.

I also found the blackout switch to be missing. This I can't blame on anybody recently because I can't find any evidence to the contrary. Either way I now need that switch assembly before I can move the beast. Who has a source for this assembly? The wires look to be in tact, and waiting eagerly for their mates and switch.

Pick up is 2 weeks... Hopefully she doesn't get patrted out any further!

LORENZ

Here's some pics of the picked-parts.

I see some other holes in the dash now that I'm going through the photos. Can anybody point out what was there and are they A2 specific switches/accessories?

Attachments

LORENZ

Just ordered up a bunch of junk from Erik. Nice guy and helpful. I was able to get the switch for $50. I bought a filter set, motor trans and fuel, a couple wiper blades, LED conversion rear tail lights for my 101a3 trailer. I'll swap out the lens from tail lights of the trailer to the truck. The new LED lights that will go on the trailer are 12v or 24 volt so I can use the trailer with my Dodges or the A35m3 and not worry about blowing or swapping bulbs. He had an addapter for the 14 pin military trailer to a 7 pin civilian truck that I picked up. I was not liking the hokkey 4 pin connector patch job that I did to get the trailer home. So I'll be putting that back together mil-spec and using the handy dandy conector and not have to worry about what truck I'm using to pull the trailer! Yehaaa... I'm excited again.

quickfarms

The goverment owns the property until they turn it over to GL and it is offered for auction.

As the owner they, the goverment, has the right to remove any parts prior to the item being offered for auction.

If the parts were removed after the GL photos wher taken or when you previewed the item then you have the right to be upset and file a claim with GL.

If you do not like this buy retail and stay away from the auctions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks