• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Abandoned Deuce

Lonesome715

This is a Deuce that was left behind by a unit that once occupied this area. They left long before I arrived and left this poor truck behind. It has set for quite a while and will not be going back to the states.

Unless I can pull off the rescue I am working on that is. Shhh.

Attachments

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I was at a FOB in Bagdad that has a Duece water truck on it. Sat there for a couple years before I got there and im sure it still there. I have always wanted that truck. I hope you get yours!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Work on a trade-off: ask if you can leave a FMTV belonging to your unit in the place of that M35, and bring the old beast home.

Good luck in your quest! Like Ozarker said, no Steel Soldier should be left behind....

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
In Desert Storm we had something like this happen also. As usual we didn't have enough transport for all of our stuff and we ran across a 813A1. We snagged it did the repairs and used it until we left. It was originally owned by the Kuwaitis and captured by the Iraqis and then liberated by us. We also liberated a bunch of those trailers the Iraqis had. Looked like hay wagons with sideboards and I think they were made by Mercedes.

Good luck bringing it back.

Lonesome715

If I can meet the tight time line I think I can get it out of here. One of the issues I am facing is the port. Which one and how much to get it from there.

FreightTrain

Banned
well,If I can get a tow bar and you can get it to a port I will offer my services to tow it from a near by port(Ga,SC,pan handle of florida,Mobile) to Columbus,Ga just to help save it.How many people can actually say they have a truck they rescued from overseas themselves or even say that their truck was use in combat?

Lonesome715

That would be a huge help. I know it will be costly to to transport it. But I think I may be able to keep it under $2000 from hear to the port. It all depends on the container. A couple of weeks ago containers were very easy to get (under the radar). But now they are cracking down on them and accounting for every one.

scooter01922

First off, good luck on saving the old gal, deserves better than that. Second, this BS ought be illegal. WTF..... taxpayer buy this stuff and then we just leave it where ever it sits, abandoned in a foreign country???? Talk about a waste of resources.:evil:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I work at Port Everglades in S Fla. If you can get it here, I'll drag it home and try to get it ready for you. PE is near Ft Lauderdale

Lonesome715

I agree. That is one reason I am taking this chance. I do not want to see the Iraqis get another old Deuse and destroy it like the others I have seen around here.

Good luck my thinking is that our comander and chief should load all these trucks and bring them home and selling them to other countries should not be allowed its unamerican plenty of people here want them the heck with that bunch they just winde up using them against us anyway so letem go stick thier heads in sand sorry my .02 . Doc out

m109guy

First off, good luck on saving the old gal, deserves better than that. Second, this BS ought be illegal. WTF..... taxpayer buy this stuff and then we just leave it where ever it sits, abandoned in a foreign country???? Talk about a waste of resources.:evil:
Actually it happens all the time with every country. Basically it is cheaper to leave it then to bring it back. I use to have an old picture of a storage yard in Europe with thousands of WC trucks that the US military had left behind and was going to be scrapped. It was way too expensive to bring the stuff back and most of it ended up being sold for scrap or just abandoned where it was parked even though pretty much all the trucks were fully operational. Happened back then and happens now. There was a post around here lately about giving the Iraqi military a fleet of humvees and other military vehicles. This was done as public relations thing for the Iraqi government, and because the vehicles would very likely just be sold for surplus when they get back anyway. So in the end they look good and save money by not bringing the stuff back.

Happens even here in Canada. In Afghanistan we scrapped around 300 iltis jeeps rather than bring them back to Canada. The British have training bases here in Canada and unless it is a very specialized piece of equipment, all their vehicles stay here in Canada and are eventually sold as surplus or sent to scrap. It is just too expensive to bring them back. A truck might be worth say $5,000, but it would cost another $5,000 to $10,000 just to bring it back. A huge waste of money for them.

It is sad to see it happen, but I bet that is not the only vehicle left there.

combat32

From the WD number on the right side It looks like a draw vehicle from Doha down in Kuwait, makes you wonder how she got left.We had a 5 ton and an extra Humvee we sort of found in Kuwait City before DS, they came in kind of handy later for those late night unauthorized trips to the phone center .

Lonesome715

I agree with the cost of bring them home. They have done it in every over seas war in this nations history. Teh only reason I am trying to get it done is becuase I stumbled across a really good contact. I doubt I will be able to do it again though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks