• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Abandoned deuces in Baltimore

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm unsure about this state but in TN any licensed towing company can do the "abandoned vehicle" paperwork. After all the paperwork is done, they can get a new title.

I've done this on several vehicles. There's a guy that owns a towing company that rents a lot form me, he handles the paperwork for me.

If I were closer, I'd have my towing guy go pick them up.

Last edited:

searls84

If the city wants them gone then oblige them and make them disappear... Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answers to. If there is no paper work on them who cares!? Someone go pick them up stick them in the back 40 and enjoy a couple free parts trucks... I'm sure moe than one of us has a couple old non runners out back that have been sitting for years/decades that have either no paper work or are in the name of a deceased whomever. Same difference. Someone go get them, throw them out back, enjoy a parts truck. Why go through the hassle of paper work, auction, etc. for something that ain't going to bring much money to donate. Running deuces don't bring much, Junkers bring even less....

Jeepsinker

If the city wants them gone then oblige them and make them disappear... Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answers to. If there is no paper work on them who cares!? Someone go pick them up stick them in the back 40 and enjoy a couple free parts trucks... I'm sure moe than one of us has a couple old non runners out back that have been sitting for years/decades that have either no paper work or are in the name of a deceased whomever. Same difference. Someone go get them, throw them out back, enjoy a parts truck. Why go through the hassle of paper work, auction, etc. for something that ain't going to bring much money to donate. Running deuces don't bring much, Junkers bring even less....
I agree. It's going to get over complicated and nobody is going to get anything if it keeps going this way. I'm all for charity to wounded warriors, but this is not a good case for it. This stuff needs to be gone or it'll go to scrap and no one will get sh*t.

bigbird1

Have you ever known a city to just give stuff away? Not the one I'm in , they gave out tickets to people taking metal on town wide trash day. Something seems wrong with the whole deal.

quickfarms

There is a possibility that the reason the city will not do any paperwork is they know there are issues with the ownership.

How would you like it if some one from the city made your vehicles disappear?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems all kinds of people are willing " to make them disappear " , but no one making the offer has suggested or offered to get the VIN numbers off them and have them run to see who the true owner is . That itself says a lot about the moral character of people these days. It really does not project a positive image on the MV community.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, there's a ton of people mentioning LEGAL methods, either making the city surrender them, doing lost/abandoned property statements, and guys looking at trying to go see them, but weather may hamper those efforts. Those of us who are not in a realistic position to do anything (like myself) are supporting methods that may allow us to own these vehicles after other means have been completed.

tobyS

If they are military they were probably never titled to have a traceable VIN.

Jakelc15

I could move them to a MD state facility where they won't be on a deadline to be removed. I can have the State Troopers run the Vin and do the proper paperwork for abandoned vehicle. I can't get titles issued for free though.

It would be great if they could be auctioned for Wounded Warrior

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be the way to go as long as the property owner gives it to you in writing that they want them removed .

Sephirothq

You would need to get something in writing to verify that you are legally allow to remove them. IF the city doesn't want to do any paperwork then they will sit.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These can not possibly be the first(or only) abandoned vehicles in your state/city.

They must have a procedure to dispose of them.

JingoJohn

Wounded Warrior Project.... They don't use much of the $ donated for anything but their salaries... http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/12/08/wounded-warriors-project-a-legal-scam/

The UNFORTUNATE and DISAPPOINTING fact of all (99.9%) charities is that most of the $$ goes to administration and promotion. SAD, but true, untangeling their financial reports is about like unstangeling the FedGov budget.

Here is a quote from some experts: “…It has been easier to get financial data averages for a car wash than the average nonprofit…” Andrew C Holman C.P.A., Adjunct Professor
Partner-Ritz,Holman,Butala,Fine LLP

Here are 31 pages on “how to do it”:
http://www.nasaa-arts.org/Learning-...ding-5-Understanding-Financial-Statements.pdf

To me, it comes down to this: Would I rather have my money go to WOUNDED WARIOR or some front organization like UNICEF (a front organization of the commie UN) or The Red Cross which gave donated AMERICAN BLOOD to North Korea during the Korean WAR.

JingoJohn

IF we get serious about this AND the owners/admin of SS are behind an auction/donation, I WILL CALL THE CITY AND GET A D AMN LETTER requesting that "we" remove the vehicles and that the city gives us permission to do so. After that, the closest SS guy that can store then until auction can then solicit any help he needs from SS members.

I would HIGHLY recommend retention of a professional auction company which can WIDELY PUBLICIZE the auction for best results.

JingoJohn

Ahhh, you ALL do know that this discussion is about as private as SMOKE SIGNALS. It could very well be that based on this discussion, some “entreprenueral” type guy has swooped in and already acquired the vehicles.

ARE THEY STILL AVAILABLE?????

KaiserM109

It is my understanding that if the property (the 2 trucks and the jeep) has been on city property for a long time, they have become city property. I think the tow company idea is the best, but who am I to say; most of my legal training comes from watching too much TV.

RE the Jeep, it is a late '40s Willys wagon with the high roof and is unusually clean. It appears to have very little rust; only modified fenders. Judging by where the cooling fan is sitting, it probably has the original 126 cid flathead engine that isn't worth more than scrap iron and a T-90 transmission that might still have some value; I sold one 5 years ago for $120. It appears to have the original springs, although they sit up nicely, and the right kind of lockout hubs to still have the original axles. Also, the width on the axles is right to be original. The sheet metal is awfully straight and the glass looks newer than the Jeep.

Here in Colorado you can get a 'Salvage Title' fairly easily, if you can show ownership. I have a '60 Willys just like that which I will title this summer, probably with a Salvage Title ‘cause it was purchased in Utah about 10 years ago.

They are real cool to re-power. The Willys I have now has Dana 44s under it that came out of a '76 Scout. My son is going to put a Ford 351 Winsor and a T-16 transmission in it. Around here, that vehicle, with some type of title, is worth between $1000 and $1500.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks