• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aberdeen 2007

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am not real sure how that's gonna work out. Google maps show the distance from my house to Doswell being 594 miles, going to the I-20 to I-95 route. It claims 517 miles for just going up I-85 North to I-95, so the difference of 80 miles is mostly inconsequential to me.

I suppose I could manage that many miles in a day, but that'd be rough. More the issue than the wear and tear on me would be the time required. Best case scenario, I would imagine that's a 12 hour trip.

Not sure here what the best plan is..................

CGarbee

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
If you all are leaving on Tuesday what day will you roll into Aberdeen? Just want to make sure I am on the same sheet of music as I thought it was starting on Friday
Convoy arrival in Aberdeen is scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

The folks in the Northern Serials (Red and Blue) manage to do it all on one day, folks in the Southern Serial (Yellow) have to convoy mulitple days. Graham made it from Atlanta to Doswell last year in a day without pushing too hard and that is our current thinking so far for this year (although the route is TBD).

Overnight stay (as Kenny has mentioned) is in Doswell, hotel info will be on the convoy website when it is up and runing and is on the 2006 version of the site right now in case you want to get a jump on reservations...

I'm as eager for the fifth anniversery version of the Convoy as the rest of you...

Cabell Garbee
Convoy Coordinator/Convoy Commander, 2007 East Coast Convoy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, My push is for Florence SC on the first day. That would be a rather short day for all you guys if you came that way. I had toyed with the idea of heading up to Atl then proceed with the rest of you guys but that adds probably 6 hours of driving time and 6 hours of fuel to an already long drive. I can make FLorence in a day if I leave at 0-dark thirty. Let me cook the numbers a bit and see if I can get to Atlanta in a day and what the costs would be.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Kenny, if you want to crash with me, I have a spare quest bedroom and hot showers.

Beer optional :D

Blythewoodjoe

Gentlemen:

A little info that might be useful to some of you. On the first convoy I drove my deuce back from Aberdeen to my home in Blythewood in 12 hours strait. That was 500 miles and 12 hours. I would advise against a trip like that going up. I was beat. You don't want to spend your day Friday pooped out. Atlanta is a little over 200 miles from me down I-20. I think I left my house the first two years around lunch time. You could leave Atlanta Wednesday morning but that will be quite a trip.

Don't forget too, the deuce will average about 50 mph by it self, but a little slower in a convoy. It's a wee bit longer a drive than the Ford pickup at 75 mph. And your butt will be a bit sweaty too. You will need a little more walk around time at stops. I would suggest a nice slow trip there and save the speed for the trip home. If you have never driven one of these beast all day, you are in for a real experience. I hope to drive up but I'm not sure what I will drive yet.

Have fun,
Joe Trapp

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westy, jfn, and others:

Any one traveling through Ohio on I-70 ?

Gimpyrobb and I, (and maybe Todd Haley) will be heading that route to Aberdeen from Cincinnati. Not sure which (if any) of our MVs are going yet. Lots of work to do before any of my junk will make it . . . , but at least stick together for strength in numbers.

Maybe a rendezvous point in Columbus OH , Wheeling WV, Southwestern PA, ?

We could establish the unofficial "western" serial of the East Coast Convoy.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is so way cool are there going to be chalk mark convoy numbers and convoy ahead, convoy follows and convoy commander signs? I know my convoy commander sign got me out of a lot of speeding tickets all over CONUS as I usually just got a wave and a slow down admonition since I was usually leading at least three 15-20 truck serials. The hairy part was getting them all through one toll booth since I held the cash as the class A agent too. Got my first encounter with a moving west coast mirror that way. Don't forget saftey vests for the convoy commander and driver in case you have to control traffic. Sounds like enough fun to drive away from home just to come in with you all.

CGarbee

Junkyard Wars Crusher said:
mangus580 said:
Why not just design an official serial?
Ok, didn't want to be presumptuous, . . . but if the ECC is accepting applications for new serials, I would like to humbly apply. I would definitely need some guidance and other member participation, but I would be very interested in working on the task.
Consider your application approved. Also, consider yourself drafted at the Western Serial Commander... I'll PM you my contact info and will be in touch to provide guidance, answer questions, and listen to suggestions, etc...

Glad to have you aboard,
Cabell Garbee

PS: I've been thinking for some time that the name of the convoy reflects more the destination (East Coast Location) than the area where the convoy is running...

CGarbee

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
This is so way cool are there going to be chalk mark convoy numbers and convoy ahead, convoy follows and convoy commander signs? I know my convoy commander sign got me out of a lot of speeding tickets all over CONUS as I usually just got a wave and a slow down admonition since I was usually leading at least three 15-20 truck serials. The hairy part was getting them all through one toll booth since I held the cash as the class A agent too. Got my first encounter with a moving west coast mirror that way. Don't forget saftey vests for the convoy commander and driver in case you have to control traffic. Sounds like enough fun to drive away from home just to come in with you all.
We haven't chalked any numbers on folks vehicles since A) some folks hate you doing that to thier nice paint, and B) we tend to shuffle folks around some at each meeting location as the series combine on the way to Aberdeen.

We do run signage on the vehicles (Convoy Follows, Convoy Ahead, Convoy Commander, etc.) and have warning beacons on lead and tail vehicles of each March unit, (and some others), and assigned locations in the March Units, and assigned communciations frequencies, and routes, and schedules, etc...

A lot of this info (who is doing what, routes, times, assignments, frequencies/channels/phone nubers) are posted on the Convoy Website and will be available as soon as the guys get the updates done. Additional info will be added as we get closer to the actual date (when we add new serials for example). Website also has info on who has registered (when you actually register on the site for the convoy), and will have info about t-shirts (needed if you want to eat Eastern NC BBQ that I am cooking on Friday...), etc.

I used to hate it when my teachers would say "wait and I'll get to it later in the lecture", but a lot of info is comming in just a short time. You can see what we have done in the past by visiting the webstie and seeing what was done for 2006 (and prior years...).

We try to run the Convoy in a military manner while keeping in mind that most everyone in it is no longer (or never was) in the military and that the main focus is to arrive in Aberdeen (and get home again) in a safe, fun, manner.

And yes, I have gotten out my share of tolls and tickets by having a big ol' Convoy Follows or Convoy Commander plackard on the front of my rig with a line of MV's stretching behind me... :)

We have had a couple of folks in the Aberdeen (Harve de Grace, actually) area run out to the marshalling point where we combine all the serials for a combined drive into the rally area just so that they can particiapte in the Convoy for the last couple of miles. Also had one guy who backtracked all the way back to Jersey one year (he drove down from Canada, set up his vendor spot, drove back to Jersey, and then down with the convoy) just so he could ride with us...

Everyone is welcome to join in.

If you don't have a MV that will make the trip, you cand drive your civilian vehicle as a support vehicle (we have a place for you in the lineup designated) or we can find somebody who wants/needs a co-driver...

I'm excited.
Cabell Garbee

mangus580

Cabell.... I could probably come up with 'magnetic numbers' to use in lieu of chalk, if the numbers have a home... (would be real easy to reorder them too ;-) )

I will bust my butt on the Site this weekend so we can get things moving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks