• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

About to pickup my first M715. Learn me things.

TexAndy

I saw some pictures and a friend vouched for me that it ran within the past 2 years (they think it has fuel pump issues, no fuel to carb). I won't say what I'm paying for it, but it is cheap.

Looks like it has some hunting seats installed in the bed and basket or something installed/fabbed onto the bumper. No top. Otherwise, it looks pretty clean.

What are some of the DOs and DON'Ts I need to know for the 715? I know very little about these. The only other "small" military vehicle I've ever owned is a 1009 I got earlier this year.

TexAndy

Not on me. They're on my friend's phone and he's kind of tech-challenged. Might get them tomorrow if his wife has a moment to email them to me.

The upholstery in the cab is toast. No top, so it's probably been rained on and baked for the past 20 years.

FrankUSMC

Thank God you live in Texas, that is about the turn radius of one.
The bad:
1. weak cab, not designed as a soft top. as time goes on you will see the doors getting harder to shut.
2. rust in the cabs, again not a great designed cab.
3. very poor visibility over the hood that covers three acres.
4, the motor was very prone to vapor locking.
The M715 was to be a "cheaper" replacement for the proven M37, you get what you paid for.
The good:
1. a bullet proof drive train
2. again, a bullet proof frame
3. the beds were also very over built
Hope this helps, I have owned several over the years.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

TexAndy

So if the mechanical fuel pump is bad, this might actually be a vehicle that would benefit from an electric fuel pump? Something that pushed the fuel to the carb at a little higher pressure to mitigate the vapor lock problem?

67Beast

The nice thing is that if the stock fuel pump is shot, you can simply swap in the civilian model pump which is an AC 6510 and is fairly cheap compared to the military version and can be bought at most any auto parts store. The only thing that will not work is the civilian model doesn't have the vacuum part to run the vacuum operated windshield wipers. The vacuum wipers are horrible anyway and if you plan on driving it much anyway you'll want to look into adding an electric wiper kit like found from several vendors like AB Linn.

I have both a M715 and a M37 and being a taller person prefer the cab layout of the M715 over the cramped cab of the M37. The only thing that does sucks for tall people is that with the soft top on, side view is limited by the low opening. But I mainly run mine with the top off anyway because what's the fun of having an open top vehicle if you can't feel the wind. Just remember that with any older military vehicle, you have a slow, loud, heavy vehicle with no modern comforts. These types of vehicles are great fun play vehicles but do not make great normal commuter vehicles.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are many M715 owners in your area.

Barrman in Giddings and Kwai in Houston are two of them.

A good reference is www.m715zone.com

I have owned a couple of them and passed them on to others.

The stock fuel pump can be rebuilt. You can do it yourself of have the kit manufacture do it for you (recommended) Or swap in the civvy unit.

The carb does not like alot of pressure so watch the electric pump if you decide to go that way.

TexAndy

Yep, I've met Barrman and his kid at several shows. Will have to pick his brain for sure. Don't think I've met Kwai.

Nice truck 67beast.

Mkcoen is going to help me pick it up next Tuesday so I'll have some detailed pics then.

67Beast

CLEARLY theres alot of folk posting here that arnt very knoledgeable truely on this vehicle. to check to see if the fuel pump is bad,unhook the fuel line ( output) and turn engine over. if it squirts fuel everywhere its good ! if not make up a remote fuel source,plumb it into the carb and try to start it. if pump is bad send it to then and now and have it rebuilt (dont put a civy pump on it as you,ll loose all your vacume hence water proofing,wipers etc.)! stick with barrman he will guide you thru your truck "CORRECTLY" as it isnt his first rodeo and he isnt a jack leg. dont rush your build/rebuild, as all you can do is drive it when finished. also these cabs have some of the best quality "american" steel made and you,ll see this when you go to weld in replacement body pannels.

kwai is also top notch on m715,s
Well Bob I'm glad that you think my suggestion of a quick, and simple replacement of the fuel pump with the civilian version is such a "jack leg" idea to help a guy get a vehicle going. Maybe if you were not so condescending most of the time people might value your posts more than they do.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the water-proofing issue with regard to the vacuum line?
I think what he is referring to is that the vacuum pump provides ventilation for the distributor, and if this ventilation is lost, the points will burn up.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FELLAS, its not a vacume pump ! it pressureizes the front & rear axle,trans,t-case,master cylinder and distributor. this is all part of the waterproofing for fording. it also makes the wipers work. if it made vacume it would suck water in these components but if there pressureized it will prevent water from entering.
Better double check your statements here.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a 24v electric fuel pump on mine when my stock pump went bad. I haven't had any flooding issues with it.

I also swapped out the factory waterproof ignition with a civilian one. I kept having ignition problems with the stock setup and parts are kind of expensive for it.

I haven't had the problems Frank speaks of about the doors sagging. A matter of fact, my m715 doors close better than any vehicle I own.

I say I'm going to do a engine swap but the old Tornado just won't die. It smokes a little but runs like a top so I'm going to keep it as long as it's still got life in it. If I ever do get around to a swap I think I'll go with a 350 Chevy engine, deuce 3053 trans, and NP205 divorced t-case. I've got the 3053 and 205, just need to find a good 350 but that shouldn't be a problem.

TexAndy

Cool, I've still got the engine, transmission, and transfer case from a deuce I parted out ages ago.

This is the reward for being a pack rat. Eventually, everything becomes useful. If only you can find it in the piles of junk.

jeepdan

so heres my suggestions.

install a bone stock sbc......
change out the t-case to a np202 or np205
replace the master cylinder with a "truck " split master cylinder
move battery under hood
change over to 12 volt
install a fsj bench seat
go 100% thru the brakes
clean,inspect all wheel bearings and relube them with hi-quality grease
change all fluids IE: TRANS,& DIFFS
make sure all grease fittings take grease and lube them every 2k miles (I highly recomend synthetic grease -amsoil)
change truck to power steering (you,ll be glad you did)

this will keep you busy for a while........
I'm not sure what jack-legging means, but, if the truck is in reasonable shape, isn't this jack-legging?
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks