• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

About to pickup my first M715. Learn me things.

TexAndy

The part on the pass seat is the correct master cylinder. The carburetor is incorrect. The dangling hoses are for the fuel/vacuum pump. Never seen the main data plate mounted to the battery box cover before.
Dang. I wonder if at this point I shouldn't just go ahead and re-engine the vehicle.

I haven't priced Tornado 230 parts, but I'll bet they aren't cheap.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang. I wonder if at this point I shouldn't just go ahead and re-engine the vehicle.

I haven't priced Tornado 230 parts, but I'll bet they aren't cheap.

I wouldn't. Looks like since the fuel pump is missing, it failed and the deer hunters never got around to finding a replacement. That's likely all that is wrong with the engine. The Tornado is a good engine for putting around at 50 mph. I've driven mine all over Texas and my buddy took his from TX on vacation to Durango CO and back. Runs like a sewing machine.

Another Ahab

I wouldn't. Looks like since the fuel pump is missing, it failed and the deer hunters never got around to finding a replacement. That's likely all that is wrong with the engine. The Tornado is a good engine for putting around at 50 mph. I've driven mine all over Texas and my buddy took his from TX on vacation to Durango CO and back. Runs like a sewing machine.
Meaning smooth; as in "good", right?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part on the pass seat is the correct master cylinder. The carburetor is incorrect. The dangling hoses are for the fuel/vacuum pump. Never seen the main data plate mounted to the battery box cover before.
Looks like they moved the data plate to the battery box so the could mount a CB and a master kill switch to the dash. The kill switch is not stock.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part on the pass seat is the correct master cylinder.
Wonder what the MC on the firewall is from. I suppose they wanted one with a bigger reservoir or didn't bother looking for an original one if the factory unit went bad. I missed the replacement when I looked at the photos the first time. I would check the fluid and try bleeding the system to see if things are actually working. Depending on how long it's been sitting (I don't really trust the previous owner remembers the last time it ran accurately) the wheel cylinders might be locked up as well.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder what the MC on the firewall is from. I suppose they wanted one with a bigger reservoir or didn't bother looking for an original one if the factory unit went bad. I missed the replacement when I looked at the photos the first time. I would check the fluid and try bleeding the system to see if things are actually working. Depending on how long it's been sitting (I don't really trust the previous owner remembers the last time it ran accurately) the wheel cylinders might be locked up as well.
There is a dual circuit master cylinder conversion that is available for this truck, I am not familiar with it. From what I have seen on brush trucks and hunting trucks, something will break and someone runs into town and brings back the closest appearing part they can find.

67Beast

It also looks like it has a civilian dist., plug wires and spark plugs and I would check to see if they converted it to 12v. A lot of the hard to find usually missing parts look like they are still on yours which is a great thing, especially the tailgate. What's missing looks to be common M-series items which are plentiful to find. I wouldn't be quick to count out the 230 either, they are great running motors once you get them tuned up, just remember that they are not hot rod motors and have problems if they are over-revved. That's why the later ones had a governor installed on them , to keep the RPM's down.

TexAndy

Trust me, I am not a hot-rodder. I believe in making vehicles last as long as they can.

Dang, I'm having a hard time finding a fuel pump. Only ones I've found in stock are at some milsurp places, and they want 225. And the original for core.

I know alot of people are going to cringe, but I think I have to go with an electric fuel pump. Given that, any suggestions about a particular electric pump?

TexAndy

Yeah, I think there's an aftermarket MC on the firewall behind the carb. With a wire latch on the cover.

Individual wheel cylinders I'll take off and see if they can't be rehoned and rebuilt with new springs and rubber.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trust me, I am not a hot-rodder. I believe in making vehicles last as long as they can.

Dang, I'm having a hard time finding a fuel pump. Only ones I've found in stock are at some milsurp places, and they want 225. And the original for core.

I know alot of people are going to cringe, but I think I have to go with an electric fuel pump. Given that, any suggestions about a particular electric pump?
Try the mechanical mentioned earlier. Just don't do a lot of drving in rainstorms.

TexAndy

Try the mechanical mentioned earlier. Just don't do a lot of drving in rainstorms.
Thanks, but I haven't been able to find that either.

I tried autozone, oreilleys, advance, carquest, napa, and rock auto.

Search terms and parts number searches for "6510" "AC6510" "AC 6510" "6510 fuel pump"

Looking at some threads online at places like IFSJA, it looks like some people were able to find some by a manufacturer called airtex at carquest as recently as 2009.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you see if the seller still has the OE fuel pump? If not I have some cores, and I believe that kits are available.

67Beast

Thanks, but I haven't been able to find that either.

I tried autozone, oreilleys, advance, carquest, napa, and rock auto.

Search terms and parts number searches for "6510" "AC6510" "AC 6510" "6510 fuel pump"

Looking at some threads online at places like IFSJA, it looks like some people were able to find some by a manufacturer called airtex at carquest as recently as 2009.

I was able to buy an Airtex one about 18 months ago for my M725 I just finished from Autozone for around $35. The listed fuel pump for the civilian 230 does not work with the military dist. due to the extra size of the military dist. and I can not think of which application the 6510 fit. I'll look to see if there are any cross references for a different part number for the 6510.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't tell in the picture, does the spot for the fuel pump have a plate covering the opening? Or is it just shadows.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can not think of which application the 6510 fit. I'll look to see if there are any cross references for a different part number for the 6510.
The Airtex 6150 shows to fit the 1967 Jeep J30 w/230 engine. Here are the spec that Jon on the Zone posted years ago.

You can also get this pump from Autozone and use it as just a fuelpump for the 230...no vacuum part...note that price varies by zip code...yours may be lower or higher:

Airtex Master / FuelPump
Jeep J-Pickup 3.8L 2BL OHC 6cyl
Part Number: 6510
Price:
$31.99

SPECIAL ORDER
Ships within 3-5 business days.
Part Number: 6510
Weight: 1.92 lbs
Warranty: 1 YR
Application: With electric wipers
Fitting Size: Inlet - 1/8 inch - 27 inch , Outlet - 1/8 inch - 27 inch
Pins: Inlet - 1/8 inch - 27 inch , Outlet - 1/8 inch - 27 inch
Fitting Type: Inlet - NPSF, Outlet - NPSF
Discard Thickness: Inlet - NPSF, Outlet - NPSF
Gallons Per Hour: 20
Pressure Rating: 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 PSI

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks