• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC 60G glow plug issue

azpatriot

I'm sure others are aware of it but the AC 60G glow plugs recommended by GM for the civilian engines will not connect to the stock wire socket. They are too wide. Should I go ahead and reduce the width on the glow plug tab and use them or go with another part?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I cut mine off, the connector, and replaced with a regular size connector. You've opened a can of worms regarding the the use of the 60G's in a CUCV, be ready! I've used them in mine without issue for a couple of years now, but I did bypass the resistors on the firewall and connect directly to the front battery to supply the solenoid with 12 volts, as the 60G's are designed to work on straight 12 volts

As always, your mileage may vary. . .

Last edited:

reb87

I just ground the ag60 plug down so it would work with the military connectors. I just hooked up the blue wire to a momentary switch. I hadnt read about bypassing the resistors. Its been working fine, am I going to have probs with this setup?

Heavy Chevy

I have the correct Wellman's on Ebay, G070's, full WAP number is 6A843G070, NSN: 2920-01-151-3627, I have Alt plus belts, exhaust donuts & other CUCV parts listed. Also have the Hmmwv G115's w/ the spade tip. Duece & 5 Ton parts also. Mention Steel Soilders when paying get a $5 off total. Have a good one all.
Ebay name is REDMAN1023 - 100% positive feedback, Thanks again, Regards Chuck

mistaken1

As I understand it the resistors are in series with the glow plugs. The resistors are sized to match the resistance of a correctly operating full set of glow plugs. The idea is that when 24V is applied to the resistor/glow plug series circuit that one half of the voltage is dropped in the resistors and one half is dropped in the glow plugs (12V to each half of the circuit).

Problems arise when a glow plug burns up or otherwise fails and then the resistive balance between the resistor and glow plugs is upset resulting in more voltage being dropped across the remaining glow plugs (more current through the glow plugs) causing the remaining glow plugs to overheat, swell and burn out.

Jersey4x4

G070s are the correct dual filament plugs. The G60s are what they call fast start and can swell with the long wait time of the CUCV GP controller. I think you can get the G070s from a dealer for less the $60.00 I keep them in stock all the time just in case one comes in and needs them. Now the trick is the relay? Where does that come from?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had brand new Wellmans swell and burn out in less than a month(probably a bad run of them, I was told). Don't be fooled into thinking they wont swell or burnout! I have almost a year on the replacements with no problems yet. Any brand GP can and will swell.

I have seen first hand, the wellmans do heat faster for a faster cold start, than other brands, but I have also have a friends cucv that I installed a manual GP button and AC60's in, that has gone over a year with NO failures(and he will hold that button down with no mercy!).

The relays have been discussed here before, they are readily available at name-brand parts stores.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ac60's have a standard 1/4" wide male blade terminal.

The stock cucv wire terminals are too small/narrow to fit on the AC60's.(you can either grind the gp terminals or change your wire terminals to a standard 1/4" wide terminal). If you change your wire terminals to a standard 1/4" female blade terminal, they will work just fine with either AC60's or the Wellmans.

I think it's a good idea to convert your terminals to new insulated 1/4" wide female terminals. You must remember, just one bad connection with the stock wiring and you will have GP failure, which will cause more gp failures!

New terminals are just a bit more insurance that your system will function well for a long time.

kentuckycucv

My AC60s are waisted after a month... I got 2 out and Im sure they are all toast. I got some bad advice on here...
i GUESS you HAVE to do the Resistor bypass and rig 12 volts to the relay or you are going to end up like me and wast 80 bucks on plugs.
I read that you could just put ac60s in on a stock system... but dont do it.

Attachments

aspann

When I got my M1008, all the plugs were burnt out. I replaced them with ac60's and haven't had any problems. I've had the 1008 for about a year now. I replaced the connectors with insulated ones.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My AC60s are waisted after a month... I got 2 out and Im sure they are all toast. I got some bad advice on here...
i GUESS you HAVE to do the Resistor bypass and rig 12 volts to the relay or you are going to end up like me and wast 80 bucks on plugs.
I read that you could just put ac60s in on a stock system... but dont do it.

I've had 5 CUCVs with the AC60s and Wellman 070s and none of them have burned out. Sounds like your truck has other issues.

All the advice on here is "FREE" and if you want to complain, take your truck to a shop, pay for the repairs and then yiu can complain if there is an issue.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, after all the reading here, did you follow the TM troubleshooting flowchart for the GP system, before replacing your GPs?

Did you replace your terminals with nice clean new ones?

Did you ever verify the voltage drop, after installing the new plugs?

kentuckycucv

Yes I verified the voltage drop
yes I tested the plugs and they were getting around 12 volts
The resister block got hot because it wasnt getting much use with 3 plugs working.
No I did not put nice clean conectors.. I have a very nice expensive bench grinder and followed several recomendations to grind the 60s to fit.
So my conclusion is If your going to use the 60s do the resistor bypass.
If I would have gone back to wellmans if one fails the others stay strong.
Ac 60s if one connection is bad its a domino affect. I dont know what happened but they are all wasted. ... Maybe its the Sea Foam.

Zero_cool

I just replaced my wellmans with ac60s in january and have had no problems..I was in a hurry so i just ground down the tabs but like many others have stated its a good idea to change to the proper size terminals. wich is what i am about to do now

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks