• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC 60G glow plug issue

kentuckycucv

Did you bypass the risistor block and put 12 volts on the Glow Plug Relay? Because I didnt, I must have a short or a bad connection on one of the plugs. Now that i think about it. My glow plug relay started cyciling quicker than my first initial ac60 install. the GP relay would not click off for a long time. But with burnt out plugs the cyciling gets faster.

mistaken1

If I would have gone back to wellmans if one fails the others stay strong.
Ac 60s if one connection is bad its a domino affect. I dont know what happened but they are all wasted. ... Maybe its the Sea Foam.
The glow plug model is irrelevant.

If you are using the stock system (24V through the resistor) and one glow plug goes bad the voltage dropped across the remaining glow plugs will increase. Ohms law and a series/parallel circuit. Increased voltage on the remaining glow plugs causes a cascade failure of the remaining glow plugs.

Perhaps the resistor went bad (shorted) and sent all 24V to the glow plugs some time after your initial check of the voltage?

M1008driver

I put 60g's in my stock M1008 and only changed the connectors to the insulated ones of the right size. I have had zero problems, even in the cold.

I have become a strong believer in not changing things that are stock unless it is a part replacement of like kind or an improvement. It seems to work for me. I try to read everything before I make my decision and course of action.

Last edited:

Midnight Rider

I, too, have been running AC60's and I didn't do anything other than grind the spade terminal down to fit the plug.

I've been running 3 of them for over a year, replaced 3 others probably about 6 months ago, and I still have 2 Wellmans in use. I've had no problems, at least from that standpoint.

They were originally all Wellmans and I went to the AC60's because that is what I could get ahold of.

etech

I to am having glow plug issues now. My cucv would not start. ohmed out the plugs and found most were open. so went down and they cross reffed it to a autolite 1110. I had a buddy turn the key while i measured the voltage with the wire off of the plug and got 24vdc. no drop but read that it will drop under a load. the wire was off so figured no load no drop... I did not verify the drop with a load...

so i installed my autolites and and cranked it up. it fired right up... drove it around that night for a while and no problems. parked it at a store and turned off. when done it fired right up but no wait light. figured the engine was still warm it did not need the plugs.

woke up the next morning figured id take it tonwork. went out side and tried to fire it up. nothing. would not start to save my life. tried to pull the plugs and found all 8 were open and all 8 were swollen. none will come out...

i called the autoparts store. and they ordered the same ac-13g's it had in it. which have lasted as long as as i have had it and no problems. so my question is whats the best way to pull 8 swollen plugs, and im worried about putting in the new plugs thinking there is another problem. Im building this truck to be a chase truck im baja. i cant be having problems like this down there. (not a great place to brake down) so what do i have to do to make sure this is not going to be a issue again. im also going to be buying a spare set of wellmans 070 plugs and maybe a relay to keep in my spare box while down there. alone with 2 alternators and a 24vdc starter. all the stuff im going to have a hard time finding .

any advice.would be really great.

oh i did cut off the 3/16 ends off the wire and installed 1/4 terminals on. now will be going back to 3/16" terminals.

Last edited:

tamecrow

Sounds like your firewall resistor is shorted and supplying 24 volts to the glow plugs. There are several ways to remove the swollen plugs including a glow plug removal tool. Just do a search for 'swollen glow plug removal'. Lots off good info here on getting them out.

ryan77

I have a m1009 with a depot replaced motor, and the glow plugs ends are not a blade type but a post or stud??? This is like my 10th 6.2 diesel and ive never seen that before. Any thoughts there all working great right now.

etech

if the resistor was shorted wouldent it cause other problems with the interior lights and functions? I saw a video on youtune about a glow plug puller from a company jj and a racing. called left a message.no answer back yet. im thinking about just running the relay off the front battery. anyones thought on this.

i'll search and read up on extraction.

i have not checked yet. but seems to me if the resistor was bad then there would be a lot of burnt or really bright lights. also what is the resistance supposed to be. ill check it. thanks again for the help

etech

if i remember right the humv's run a true 24v system and the studded plugs are for them i may be wrong but its been a while. on a side note my mercedes plugs use studs on the end also not spade terminals...

tamecrow

if the resistor was shorted wouldent it cause other problems with the interior lights and functions? I saw a video on youtune about a glow plug puller from a company jj and a racing. called left a message.no answer back yet. im thinking about just running the relay off the front battery. anyones thought on this.

i'll search and read up on extraction.

i have not checked yet. but seems to me if the resistor was bad then there would be a lot of burnt or really bright lights. also what is the resistance supposed to be. ill check it. thanks again for the help
The resistor only feeds the glow plugs.

etech

The resistor only feeds the glow plugs.
oh... i thought it bleed off voltge for the whole truck. i thought they ran most everthing through the resistors. thats why when the brake lights come on or turn signals are on the dash lights darken a little... guess i need to get the wire diagrams and really check them out. it seemed to me like a really bad idea to pull through the resistor. more draw means less power to do work.

ill check into that. thanks

ryan77

I figured it might be a humvee motor, i was told they put gas in the old one and cooked it! They must have thrown a humvee motor in. So i should switch the glow plugs and connectors?

tamecrow

oh... i thought it bleed off voltge for the whole truck. i thought they ran most everthing through the resistors. thats why when the brake lights come on or turn signals are on the dash lights darken a little... guess i need to get the wire diagrams and really check them out. it seemed to me like a really bad idea to pull through the resistor. more draw means less power to do work.

ill check into that. thanks
The firewall resistor is only used for the glow plugs. Just resupply the glow plug relay with 12 volts from the front battery and you'll be good to go. I'd leave the 1/4 spade connectors you put on to allow you to use a good quality plug like AC60g's or Bosch Duraterm 80034. These won't swell like the others you used.

etech

i ordered ac-13g's should i just run them tell i get something else? thats what i pulled out and theh seemed to work fine. i hear they are not good though?

tamecrow

I figured it might be a humvee motor, i was told they put gas in the old one and cooked it! They must have thrown a humvee motor in. So i should switch the glow plugs and connectors?
I'd check the voltage at the glow plug and see if it's being supplied with 12 or 24 volts. If it's 24 volts you should be fine as the HUMVEE used 24 volt glow plugs.

tamecrow

i ordered ac-13g's should i just run them tell i get something else? thats what i pulled out and theh seemed to work fine. i hear they are not good though?
If it were me I would use the better plugs right from the start to avoid going through all this again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks