• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Accessory switch amperage rating

firedog104

I know this is probably in the TM's, but hoping for a quick answer from someone who knows. My accessory switch (near the Engine Stop T-handle) feels like it's wearing out (sloppy), and I was going to replace it with a locking master switch. Anyone know off the top of their head how many amps typically run through that switch? Just want to make sure I get one rated high enough. It's an A2 model truck.
Thanks

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

A switch rated at 20 amps would be more than sufficient. If you plan on running a lot of accessories, I would use the master switch to energize a relay, and let the relay contacts handle the load. In reference to your screen name, will this be used for some sort of rural fire service?

firedog104

Thanks for the reply. I actually solved my problem-I simply tightened the screw holding the handle onto the switch! I guess always check the obvious before assuming the worst. I will now loc-tite it.
My truck is for personal use/pleasure, although when I started in the fire service over 20 years ago we had an old multi-fuel deuce water tender. They always warned me not to let it roll backwards before going forward, but I never understood why. One time they actually had to jack all the axles off the ground to release the drivetrain pressure when someone (not me, thankfully) did that. Now I understand how that happened- the sprag t-case locked it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks