• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Accessory switch amperage rating

firedog104

I know this is probably in the TM's, but hoping for a quick answer from someone who knows. My accessory switch (near the Engine Stop T-handle) feels like it's wearing out (sloppy), and I was going to replace it with a locking master switch. Anyone know off the top of their head how many amps typically run through that switch? Just want to make sure I get one rated high enough. It's an A2 model truck.
Thanks

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

A switch rated at 20 amps would be more than sufficient. If you plan on running a lot of accessories, I would use the master switch to energize a relay, and let the relay contacts handle the load. In reference to your screen name, will this be used for some sort of rural fire service?

firedog104

Thanks for the reply. I actually solved my problem-I simply tightened the screw holding the handle onto the switch! I guess always check the obvious before assuming the worst. I will now loc-tite it.
My truck is for personal use/pleasure, although when I started in the fire service over 20 years ago we had an old multi-fuel deuce water tender. They always warned me not to let it roll backwards before going forward, but I never understood why. One time they actually had to jack all the axles off the ground to release the drivetrain pressure when someone (not me, thankfully) did that. Now I understand how that happened- the sprag t-case locked it up.