• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Accident aftermath (M1009)

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So.... I'm in parking lot.. Driving down the 'main drag', well defined, concrete curbs, etc. You get the idea...

When this 16 y/o chick decides that her burrito is more important than the road, and she pulls out of a taco bell, right into the corner of my truck...

I don't have time to stop, despite going only 10-15 MPH (Yup, when I say pulled out in front of me, that's what I mean)...

She panics, won't give up her license/registration/insurance...I call PD, PD refuses to respond because it's on private property :recovry4x4:.. Her mom shows up, realizes her daughter screwed up, is clearly more concerned about my truck than her car... When she realizes that there's no damage... she says she doesn't need my information because she's not gonna file a claim since she's clearly at fault.. and her insurance (if her daughter was insured) would go up. Meanwhile, her daughter is driving the car away.. busted door/panel/wheel etc...... but luckily, not before I could grab pics.

Well.. Let's just say 5k lbs of Detroit steel vs an import is an easy match to win..

Her damage.

Sorry for the crappy pics. Rain + flash + night = crappy pics.

20140129_204407_zps05dxofy9.jpg20140129_204417_zpssptiv9eo.jpg20140129_204413_zpszxe6kf9b.jpg

and for my damage...

20140129_204317_zpsrtzkl6jv.jpg20140129_204325_zpsgjjioclm.jpg

The little sliver of silver on the far left, and just below it........ is her paint.....

I have some very minor scratched paint, but no physical damage. Her car took the brunt of it...

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI well lets see TEEN+FEMALE= trouble,and yup now you see why I drive my mv's or large civ ones too, :D there was 1 in MI about 6 yrs ago,but it was 5 female's vs a train.
They were to busy jabbering and rolled right in front of an Amtrak train,all 5 killed on impact youngest was 14.

Flyingvan911

I agree. File a report with the police and insurance in case they come back later with a different story. I was on a main road in the deuce and a pair of teen girls started to pull out of Burger King going the wrong way. They quickly stopped and backed up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never understood why TB has a drive thru, everything on their menu is too messy to eat in a vehicle (while driving).

Bighurt

I agree make sure you file a report, I wouldn't have left without her information regardless if she took mine.

I have never understood why TB has a drive thru, everything on their menu is too messy to eat in a vehicle (while driving).
I don't think the true intent of drive thru is to consume food in the vehicle, at least not in my experience. It's a shortcut over the grocer. Now a drive in...

howardc

Good thing you at least got pics before she took off. Gotta love technology!

Oh yea, glad everyone was ok, and all that junk.

Greatthumper

Cover your Ass! My wife had the same type accident. 3 months later THEY sued with a whole new story. Thankfully the witnesses came forward and straightened this out for the court. I also got sued many years ago for an accident that did not happen. Insurance settled out of court, I think the laws have changed since then. BUT FOR NOW COVER YOUR ASS!

FrankUSMC

I have been a member of the MVPA for 25plus years. I remember a story from the mid 1980s were a lady pulled out in front of one of our members driving a M880 Dodge truck. Her fault, but she later sued the guy saying see did not see his truck due to it was camouflaged. Cover yourself as every one is saying.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

Kloakndagr

Yup, file a police report to CYA. Regardless of "private property", I'd even notify my insurance agent just in case the story changes when the family discovers some bondo and paint won't fix the daughters car and they are still making payments on it.

mikey

Police report, ABSOLUTELY!

Insurance, not so sure.

Four years ago I was stopped at a stop sign. A nice 86 year old lady making a right turn broadsided me. We called the popo and a report was filed. I alerted my insurance company as well. She was given a citation and her insurance covered everything on my explorer. When it came time to renew my insurance, imagine my surprise when it nearly doubled (NJ). I had a clean record with no tickets and no accidents. When I called my insurance, it was considered a chargeable accident even though I was not at fault and my company did not pay out a dime.

Insurance companies are as crooked as banks.

Just my opinion.

Mikey

Insurance, not so sure.

Four years ago I was stopped at a stop sign. A nice 86 year old lady making a right turn broadsided me. We called the popo and a report was filed. I alerted my insurance company as well. She was given a citation and her insurance covered everything on my explorer. When it came time to renew my insurance, imagine my surprise when it nearly doubled (NJ). I had a clean record with no tickets and no accidents. When I called my insurance, it was considered a chargeable accident even though I was not at fault and my company did not pay out a dime.

Just my opinion.

Mikey
Did you renew your policy with them?

mikey

I did not. I moved to PA shortly thereafter anyway.

That being said, I don't know how that may apply to the OP, which is why I said "not so sure". I don't know if that was a Joisey thing or whether all insurance companies in all states are as ruthless.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am sorry to hear this happened, get it reported to all parties that could possibly concerned it may pay big dividends later on. The behavior of this GIRL after the accident is rather upsetting, what is being taught in drivers Education today, I know they go over the procedure your to follow in case of an accident and I know its not how she acted! I am glad nobody was hurt but seriously are you kidding me???????
KK

I did not. I moved to PA shortly thereafter anyway.

That being said, I don't know how that may apply to the OP, which is why I said "not so sure". I don't know if that was a Joisey thing or whether all insurance companies in all states are as ruthless.
My question to you did not have anything to do with the OP. I was just curious about how other folks responded, when it appears the insurance company was . . . uh "taking advantage of them"? I left Progressive Insurance, when one of our vehicles was totaled. Single vehicle (with less than 5,000 miles on it) accident in the ditch - on its top - icy roads. They were the insurance company. Their opinion of what was "right" and my opinion of what was "right" were two different opinions. They don't get any more of my money. I was just interested in how others reacted.

armytruck63

I have been a member of the MVPA for 25plus years. I remember a story from the mid 1980s were a lady pulled out in front of one of our members driving a M880 Dodge truck. Her fault, but she later sued the guy saying see did not see his truck due to it was camouflaged. Cover yourself as every one is saying.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.
This is why it's a good idea to drive your MV with the headlights on, even in broad daylight.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So.... I'm in parking lot.. Driving down the 'main drag', well defined, concrete curbs, etc. You get the idea...

When this 16 y/o chick decides that her burrito is more important than the road, and she pulls out of a taco bell, right into the corner of my truck...

I don't have time to stop, despite going only 10-15 MPH (Yup, when I say pulled out in front of me, that's what I mean)...

She panics, won't give up her license/registration/insurance...I call PD, PD refuses to respond because it's on private property :recovry4x4:.. Her mom shows up, realizes her daughter screwed up, is clearly more concerned about my truck than her car... When she realizes that there's no damage... she says she doesn't need my information because she's not gonna file a claim since she's clearly at fault.. and her insurance (if her daughter was insured) would go up. Meanwhile, her daughter is driving the car away.. busted door/panel/wheel etc...... but luckily, not before I could grab pics.

Well.. Let's just say 5k lbs of Detroit steel vs an import is an easy match to win..

Her damage.

Sorry for the crappy pics. Rain + flash + night = crappy pics.

View attachment 475281View attachment 475282View attachment 475283

and for my damage...

View attachment 475284View attachment 475285

The little sliver of silver on the far left, and just below it........ is her paint.....

I have some very minor scratched paint, but no physical damage. Her car took the brunt of it...
I hope you got her tag number. Glad you weren't hurt and the damage is minimal.

Good luck.

HoosierDaddy

Insurance, not so sure.

Just my opinion.

Mikey

Yes , this is entirely possible. I read about the possibility of this in Readers Digest or some such rag a few years back. They even mentioned that asking your agent "if some minor event that occured would be covered" is "activity" that can result in your rates going up.
IE: a small tree limb dings your hood/house/camper/etc and you tell your agent that it happened and were wondering what your out of pocket costs will be IF you decided to have them cover it. It MAY be noted in your account which could possibly lead to your rates going up at a later date , even though you never made a claim and paid for it yourself.

I then asked my State Farm agent about this practice and he confirmed it. He was ashamed to say it , but it is possible.

My agent is very aware that any such non-sense will lead to me dropping EVERY line of insurance with him immediately.

So I reserve all of my "Am I covered for this type of occurance" questions for when I am going in there to buy more insurance.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other thing to remember when in an accident:

Take pics of the tag, insurance card, registration, VIN, overall vehicle, and the damaged area. If you can also get a pic of the driver and everyone else in the vehicle. The reason I say this: my niece works for 911 dispatch and there have been several incidents in which the 'driver' was not the 'driver' several months later, the car was not the 'correct' car to the registration, the VIN had been changed, the insurance card was for another vehicle that looks like the accident vehicle...

CYA and document EVERYTHING, no matter how small or insignificant or if you thing nothing will ever come up...