• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

adding a winch to a non-winch truck

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Thought I would document adding a winch to my truck.
I pulled the winch, brackets, bumper and PTO shaft as a unit. Then I seperated and sandblasted the peices (I only presure washed the winch housing).

End of weekend 1

Attachments

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
weekend II
Coated the peices w/ oshpo during the week then primed w/ rustoleum.
removed the recipient trucks bumper and cleaned up the ends of the frame rails, again primed w/ rustoleum. Then I started putting it all together w/ new grade 8 hardware ( :shock: there are over 40 bolts). I decided to mount a second set of lift ring mounts under the bumper

Attachments

bigkaiser

Joel,
I went through the same steps recently and all went fairly smooth until I tried to set the winch between the frame rails. The rails were 1/4" to narrow for the winch to fit. I had to loosen all 40 of those bolts and unbolt the bumper to try and squeeze the winch in. Then when the winch finally fit the bumper holes no longer lined up and were now to far apart. Now the ends of the frame had to be forced together.. talk about fun...I hope mine was the exception. Did you go the route of finding longer bolts in order to mount the extra shackle mounts or just bolt them top and bottom..by the way i seem to recall all of that grade 8 hardware costs about 80 -100 bucks for those that have not been there yet.
Good Luck, Don

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I wouldn't be suprised if I end up loosening/retightening when the winch goes in aua . I did get longer hardware for the lift ring mounts. As a mater of fact the two thin bolts will need to be cut in order to get a shackle pin in them, but that will wat until last. the new hardware was spendy but 54 years and my removing it absolutely destroyed the old stuff.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coming along nicely Joel. Did you use the original bumper from the 185 or the bumper from LeRoi? I've found that if the bumper is the least bit tweaked, alignment is a PITA. I got real lazy here a few years back. When I removed the winch from the M35A2 and installed it on the M275A2, I unbolted the winch, extensions, bumper as a unit and swapped the whole thing with the factory bumper from the 275. Had its moments but I think I did save time.

** Word of warning, get a piece of Luan or Masonite and cut it the size of the radiator core. Intall that against the radiator while dropping the winch in there. One little tweak with the prybar and the winch can damage your radiator.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
the only parts from the 185 are the lift ring mounts (the ones on top). Any one know where I can get the bolts that actually go into the winch?

Edit:
I also used the handles that go into the frame from the M185A3

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shouldered mounting bolts? If so, good luck. There are 2 different lengths. What happened to yours?

bigkaiser

Joel,
I finally found the special shouldered bolts from Sam Winer in Ohio 330-628-0948 (Robert Zetzer) I think he charged me about 25 bucks for a set (6 long / 6 short) I have a drawing with dimensions if you need it....pm me
Don

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
most of the bolts are ok, but the two lower ones (don't remember if they were from the long or short side) on one side have damaged heads.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
weekend III
Today I got the winch in & cut the bolts that were a little long. I pulled the drum lock out and got it functional again(was frozen). as much as I liked the school bus yellow I decided it was time for it to go.

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
note the two holes that are midway up the face of the bumper just outside the lift rings... Does anyone know what they are for? they appear to be punched.

BTW I went ahead and reused the 12 sholdered bolts that go into the winch. If anyone happens to have a short one(passenger side) they would like to sell pm me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A winch sure changes the complexion of a deuce, especially from the front. I like it Joel, it's really coming along.

rmgill

The extra length on the bumper and winch really make the deuce look more "boss" as a truck. They're quite impressive without a winch, add one and they just gain something more.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
joel, nice job, if you used the gasser front lift brackets ,you will have to bore them out to 1",(as there only have a 15/16" hole dia.) so you can use the towbar 1"pins and the 1"lift shackle pins, this way all will be the same size, thats why i have the 15/16" pins in the towbar ammo box so if i have to tow a 211,135,ect,or a gasser deuce, ill have the needed pins

rmgill

Joel, McMaster Carr has Shoulder Bolts with hex caps. You should be able to find the right size and in Grade 8 or even Milspec.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks