• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a winch

Tenwheels

I just purchased a 1970 AM General M35A2. It is a Wo/W truck, and I was wondering what it would take to convert it to a PTO winch truck.

andy3

The kits run about $1500 plus the labor to install. Also keep in mind you should replace the cable at the same time adding to the expense.

XchaosX

For the factory winch you will need: the Garwood 10,000 lbs winch, frame extensions, transmission pto, pto driveshaft, and the pto linkage. Another option is the Warn 18,000 lbs electric winch that a few guys have done.

Woodsplinter

For the factory winch you will need: the Garwood 10,000 lbs winch, frame extensions, transmission pto, pto driveshaft, and the pto linkage. Another option is the Warn 18,000 lbs electric winch that a few guys have done.
Seems like the original deuce winch is a dinosaur- takes 2 two safely operate and it's huge. Is the electric winch as capable?

Dipstick

I'm planning on a Warn myself. Thanks for the pictures! It's too bad Warn doesn't offer it with the motor on the battery side. Less electric cable.

rustystud

Might be easer to mount but it I don't think it is even close to our PTO winch in what it can and will do. Looks like more money for less winch and maybe I am wrong.
https://www.warn.com/industrial/winches/series_18dc.shtml
The Electric Winch will perform just as well as the PTO Winch, just not as long. The Heat generated and the Amps needed ( 278 ) at max line draw will limit it's use. Of course a "Snatch Block" or two will help a lot. The advantages is the remote control, allowing just one person to safely use the winch. Personally I will be going to a Hydraulic Winch. I am extremely familiar using this type of winch. Also remote controlled solenoids are available for hydraulic control.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not bad for just a slick slope but what happens when the mud is up to the top the fenders. Would someone please tell me what the chart says for duty rateing as it says .7 ? I still would take my PTO driven and if I have a level winder I do not need anyone else for a safe pull.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not bad for just a slick slope but what happens when the mud is up to the top the fenders. Would someone please tell me what the chart says for duty rateing as it says .7 ? I still would take my PTO driven and if I have a level winder I do not need anyone else for a safe pull.
How about this one, the only way to get to the cable was to stand on the bumper. How about a winch pull off, i will get a hoist scale and we can see what we can pull? You can use a snatch block i will do a single line will the 24 volt, you will shear a pin and the 24 volt will keep on going.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks