• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a winch

Oh I thought you had a extra 1/2" cable for a extension when using snatch blocks. I plan on getting a extra 100 foot or so and just have to pay attention to where the joint is when winching with a snatch block.

Tenwheels

Murphy's Law of self recovery winches, by cattlerepairman:

1) Any winch cable is at least three feet too short to reach the right anchor point
Corollary to 1) If the winch cable is of sufficient length, the pull angle is out of spec

2) If the winch is equipped with a shear pin, it will break at the most inconvenient moment
Corollary to 2) If you happen to have a spare shear pin, it will be a fraction too thick to fit. If it fits, it will break on the next pull.

3) "6x6" only means that you will get stuck further away from the solid road and need to walk a narrow/muddy food path to go get help. "W/W" only means the total absence of either road or foot path at the location where you just got stuck.

4) Any winch is too weak for the single-line pull you need right now to get unstuck.

5) Having a snatch block merely means that 1) is now six feet too short.

Feel free to add to this! :)
I absolutely love this haha

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thread! Excuse my ignorance but two questions: 1 does the deuce
PTO winch power out? Does it have a gearbox with reverse? 2) Does the M35A3 hydraulic winch power out?

Power out is a great way to birdcage cable.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
M35A2 W/W is designed to crawl forward in low range first gear, all 3 axles pulling, with winch also pulling? Winch to truck speeds matched in that confiquration?

The above is my question .................................

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy, I feel.bad for anyone trying to release a load off a winch that doesn't power out. Every winch I've ever owned powered out and never an issue with birdcaging. That sounds more like operator error or ignorance to the units operation.

dawico

G'day everyone,...

Pardon my ignorance here, but whats 'birdcageing'?

Aussie.
The cable balling up on the drum is birdcaging.

If you don't pull the cable out as fast as the winch is powering out it can happen. It also can happen if you free spool the cable out and the drum doesn't stop when the cable does.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently pulled out a M923 buried to the axles with my deuce and a 2 part line. It's the most load I've ever had on the winch and feared the shear pin wouldn't hold. I had the deuce up against a tree and could feel the whole truck in a bind while I was in the seat.

I've found that jerking is what gets the shear pins. I've pulled some pretty big loads and never broken a shear pin but I add more parts when needed and take everything slow and easy. Be easy on that clutch and the shear pin will thank you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty is right on the money. Its that foot on and off the clutch that shears pins. A smooth operator rarely breaks them. Another consideration that comes to mind is the carrying of an extra length of cable. Don't use this as an extension for a 2 or 3 part line unless you rig it as at least a 2 part line. Trying to jockey snatch blocks along a run where 2 cables join can be a real pain. In my opinion, this is where that 200' drum of cable really shines.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

The cable balling up on the drum is birdcaging.

If you don't pull the cable out as fast as the winch is powering out it can happen. It also can happen if you free spool the cable out and the drum doesn't stop when the cable does.
Thanks for that, we just call it snagging.
Just using different terminology for the same thing.

Aussie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks