• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding AC to a CUCV

mangus580

For the most part, you could use all stock GM parts from a civvy truck. The problems you would have are
  • Rear Battery tray
  • Drivers alternator
  • Dash radio mount
  • volt meter
  • blackout light switches

Other than that, you should be set.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...add to the problems the ducting... You'd have to use either the defroster or the heater ducts...which are not optimal for cooling.

Bruce

Olney, MD

mangus580

Yeah, I was assuming the ducting was 'part of the kit'. that was why I made mention of the dash stuff that would be a problem.

I wonder how much of a PITA puting the ducting in would be...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I really think an aftermarket air setup, such as what's offered by Vintage Air to be the best avenue for a CUCV. Will work better (cooler and flow more air) as well.

MATT

We aquirred 2 1008 from AZ I believe, with a AC system. It has a underhood compressor and a large box on the passenger floor area.

air...

I personally think the system from vintage air is the best bet...the complete kit has all the ducting,switching etc and they have a version that can be switched mechanically...no vac doors required.
The ducting runs under the dash,and the switching replaces the duct lever panel for a stock look.
one extra benifit....i think that the vintage air system dosn't have the factory "a/c hump" that sticks out the fire-wall...you can keep the cucv battery trays.

NCINIRATOR

RE: air...

Now that summer is upon us I'm thinking about the AC thing too. I don't have the time or patience to jack around with tearing out the dash and all that.

vintage air is nice, but I just looked at some stuff from carrier. I figure buying the external AC unit that sits on the top. The cover on the CUCV could be cut for the external AC unit.

Whaddaya think? http://www.airv.carrier.com/details/0,2806,CLI1_DIV46_ETI9772,00.html

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: air...

You going to run a generator in the back? Those look to be 110 units and draw 20 amps.

NCINIRATOR

Oh, did I forget to mention that I have no clue about those external AC units...I have seen them on vans, so why not slap one on a CUCV! :?

dilvoy

There is a company called "Red Dot" that makes A/C units for all sorts of vehicular applications, they make them for on and off road usage and sometimes even have them in 24 volt as well as 12 volt. I have no affiliation in this company, but I am looking at ways to install A/C in my Humvee.

devilman96

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1083&highlight=adding+ac

There is a whole blurb about it there...

http://www.danhard.com/sub11.htm

This is the one I bought (frist unit) but I was willing to fight through the hassle of both heat and AC with defrost. The cool thing about the comapny is they will build to your spec if you need it... The unit I bought was 12V and they swapped it over to 24V for me. IF you take the time to look through all of the stuff they build you will see there is about 100 ways to install AC into trucks that you would never picture possiable.

http://www.danhard.com/sub24.htm

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks