• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding oil to fuel of m35a2

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing is going to rust in the fuel sysem unless it is contaminated and sits with H2o in it. As long as you do your checks so you can keep an eye on what you put into it....if the supplier as a bad load, you will get it.... and, from experience, stay away from places that sell bio fuel, a clue, it will be 20-30 cents cheaper per gallon and smell when you run it. Additives aren't necessarily a bad thing, but just plain ol diesel will be fine in the Deuce where you are.

Dasgog

Alright that makes sense.

I tell you what... He musta done something wrong cause the fuel pump absolute rusted. Sending us it was rusted frozen. Primary fuel filter drain was stuck and filter was CAKED with chalky red. Bottom of the gas tank had chunks and pieces of stuff. It was a mess. I bought a new tank and everything else fuel related.

davidb56

8 ounces treats 30 gallons. I have a 50 gallon fuel tank, I never let it get below 20 Gal, so I just dump a 1/2 pint bottle in when filling up. Walmart sells it pretty cheap. You can also buy it in bulk online if you need a lot. I have 5 diesel engines I use it in. There are articles here about low sulfur fuel and lubricating the IP. Of all the supplements that are designed to do that, Stanadyne is, for my location, the most available and cheapest.

Katavic918

+1 for stanadyne. I use the lubricity formula. I think I add about 8 ounces per 25 gallons but I usually just wing it and dump some in when I fill up. You can't put too much in. Also, you may want to add some zinc additive to your engine oil.

davidb56

If you dont want to mess with the zinc additives, Chevron Delo 400LE diesel oil has enough in it to provide anti wear protection with 1300ppm zinc. there are other more expensive oils with more anti wear additives, such as Redline and Lucas, but the cost is too much. Be ware that too much is also not good. I'd either run ( I do ) Delo, or as others have posted, add a zinc antiwar additive and try to stay between 1200ppm and 1800ppm.

Dasgog

If you dont want to mess with the zinc additives, Chevron Delo 400LE diesel oil has enough in it to provide anti wear protection with 1300ppm zinc. there are other more expensive oils with more anti wear additives, such as Redline and Lucas, but the cost is too much. Be ware that too much is also not good. I'd either run ( I do ) Delo, or as others have posted, add a zinc antiwar additive and try to stay between 1200ppm and 1800ppm.
Whew.
Well here closest to me are Speedway or QT Stations. The Chevron by game does not have diesel, go figure, though they may have that Oil. What’s your mixture on this? 1 per tank fill?

davidb56

Whew.
Well here closest to me are Speedway or QT Stations. The Chevron by game does not have diesel, go figure, though they may have that Oil. What’s your mixture on this? 1 per tank fill?
Its not a mix, its 15-40wt diesel motor oil. I think even walmart sells it. Just use that brand when you change your oil.

Katavic918

I am sorry I meant how much of the 15-40 do you put in when you fill up or every other time or what’s your procedure?
He is not saying to add 15/40 to your fuel if that’s what your asking. The delo 400 is what you would use for engine oil. It has the appropriate zinc level to protect your engine. Or more specifically the lifters. I may have confused things when I brought up zinc. Stanadyne or equivalent mixes with fuel in the fuel tank zinc mixes with engine oil in the engine.

Dasgog

He is not saying to add 15/40 to your fuel if that’s what your asking. The delo 400 is what you would use for engine oil. It has the appropriate zinc level to protect your engine. Or more specifically the lifters. I may have confused things when I brought up zinc. Stanadyne or equivalent mixes with fuel in the fuel tank zinc mixes with engine oil in the engine.
Oh.

Last year I did Rotella 15w40 Diesel oil change so this year I’ll look into that.
I guess I got lost focusing so much on what additive to put in my fuel each fill up I just assumed.
thank you for clarification .

w250guy

I add diesel to my oil , seriously though I run up to 90% WMO and 10% gas at times. I’ve never noticed a difference in how it ran. Only thing I noticed going to oil vs diesel was a little more smoke from pipe. Maybe a small loss in power but not that I really noticed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidb56

I add diesel to my oil , seriously though I run up to 90% WMO and 10% gas at times. I’ve never noticed a difference in how it ran. Only thing I noticed going to oil vs diesel was a little more smoke from pipe. Maybe a small loss in power but not that I really noticed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the "multi fuel" is designed so you can run different fuels under a emergency or lack of availability, but diesel is the preferred fuel. I just run diesel like most owners because of the convenience of pump fuel, and its the most available. Some run Bio diesel too, which wasn't around much when the designers built the multi fuel. I doubt it effects much as long as the fuel is very clean, and has anti wear capabilities for the IP.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep even Rotella 15/ 40 has enough to protect . That is why all the racers that built fast ramp cams and heavy pressures on the valve springs on flat tappets went to some kind of diesel oil. From what I found in writing not hear say 2000 ppm on new cams set ups break in and 1000 ppm to maintain flat tappet. I have read where no self-respecting chemist would just add chemicals to any oil. Then there are the ones that do add without even knowing what the levels are to begin with. Plus don't even get an oil analysis after. I send all my trucks oil out for testing to Blackstone. Not to derail this thread so I will add the best thing to add to your fuel is a product that is designed to raise diesel cetane level, add lubricity, and a cleaner. It is not that expensive so why cheap out.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks