• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding PTO to 923A2

Daytodog

Wanted to add a hot shift PTO to my 923A2. Read over a bunch of forums and even talked to Chelsea after what I thought was correct ordered a 271series Chelsea hot shift PTO. Well my buddy and I tried everything we could think of but couldn't get it to fit.aua Was even thinking to drop trans but from what we could tell measuring that even mounted up together and reinstalling it wasn't going to fit. I preferred a hot shift PTO and the ones I have seen for sale from some of the military stores are all cable. Not oppose to going with cable if that's what it takes to get it in there because of smaller size but has anybody installed a hot shift on 923A2 or even a cable PTO for that matter that would be willing to share and give me some guidance? If I missed it somewhere in a old forum, sorry for my search failures.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't know a lot about the ptos, but I know i have the right one for your truck if you decide to go the "stock" route.

Gunzy

On my A0 I had to undo the rear engine mounts and shift the eng/trans to the drivers side as far as it would go(about 2") to get the needed clearence to get the PTO to clear the studs on the trans and clear the frame. It is NOT an easy job by no means. I did use a Stock cable controlled unit that came off of an M932A2 which was my source for a complete winch system. I traded my control head and drive shaft with a guy who was going from an A1 to an A2 as those 2 parts are different.

Daytodog

Yeah knew it was going to be a pain and that is saying it politely. Gunzy I agree that's what I have heard also that the trans needs to be shifted to the drivers side pto installed and then slide back. The Hot shift pto will definitely not work. I have everything from a 925 (pump,hoses,reservoir, etc) except the pto and was hoping to use that stuff once I had had the pto. Does anybody have and willing to snap some pics of there pto that the military installed. Like to see how much frame clearance it has, I presume its tight also but the chelsea pto that fits it, seems to require enlarging the notch in the frame a good bit and thought maybe this could be avoided with the pto the military installed. rhurey thanks for the link I will check it out and continue to read on.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Can I insert a small thread-jack here as a one liner since we have the PTO geniuses in the room? Has anybody ever done an air shift conversion of an M939A2 PTO? I'm wanting to do it, and if I knew the PTO model number, I could check to see if such is available. Or, maybe I needed to do a better search. Thanks.

Daytodog

Has anybody installed the Chelsea PTO that gimpyrobb has pictured. I know that this is the correct one but I ask because I was told you would have to make the existing notch in the frame even larger. I know to slide the transmission etc to get it installed but you need to notch more of the frame out. Has anyone actually put this PTO that didn't have to notch the frame that would be willing to share their experience/tricks?

Gunzy

If you shift the assy to the drivers side you shouldn't need to do anything to the frame. The existing notch was put there to clear the PTO.

Daytodog

So according to the manual TM 9-2320-272-24P-2 fig 529 (sorry don't know how to post link to take you directly to the page) shows transmission PTO specifically for an A2. Same manual next fig 530 shows transmission PTO, assume for all other 900 series. The NSN numbers are different under the parts list and are definitely different from the pics. Just curious if the A2 have a specific PTO different from the other 900 series. Wondering if the PTO listed specifically for the A2 would fit any better? All the PTOs that I have seen for sale are the PTOs from fig 530. I haven't seen anyone selling a PTO like the one listed in fig 529. The NSN for the PTO for the A2 is 2520012856295 and 2520011056465 for the other PTOs. Might be reading the manual all wrong if so let the bashings begin :lol: but think I am reading them correctly.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

86m1028

This isn't a big deal.
I took complete winch assy from an A1 & put on an A2.
The only differances are pto shaft length & lever housing in the cab.
I removed pto from A1 WITHOUT moving anything & installed the pto on the A2
WITOUT moving anything.
Its not a super easy job but it's not very difficult either.
It would have been a lot easier with a 2nd person but I did it completely
by my self.

EDIT: In no way am I picking on or bashing anyone in this thread, just
voicing my experience with the swap.

Last edited:

Gunzy

I used an A2 pto on my A0. That is the one in Fig.529, never seen one like Fig.530. I wonder if the 530 one is a T-case PTO. Anyone with a wrecker out there should be able to answer that. 86m1028 is right, the only real difference is the control box in the cab and the PTO driveshaft length. All the other components are the same as far as what I found when I did the winch install on my M923(A0).

Daytodog

That is leaning towards my theory of the a2 pto difference. I believe either of the 2 pto's in the fig above will work. If you look at Chelsea part list for 221x is like all military stores sell and fig 530 above. The 221r is for special housing which matches fig 529, like the pto Gunzy said he had installed, hence he didn't have to do anything to his frame.This might be why some guys have been grinding some of the frame away vs some not. Gunzy congrats by the way your the first person that said they have installed that pto style in fig 529. I was told it would never fit and that it must be 221x, but I wasn't convinced. You proved to me it can be done with a 221r, nice job!!!

74M35A2

This was awesome! Just what I needed to call a local Chelsea distributor and check on an air shift conversion cover, of which they said is available for $139. Requires 2-3/4" of clearance from cover flange out, and includes a sender to light a lamp for when engaged. He said the factory cable cover should have this switch also, or at least the plug to mount the switch, of which I told him is not used on these trucks.

As additional info, he said this PTO can be reconfigured to run upside down yet same direction, and it would run the driveshaft 1" higher than it is currently, and move the PTO assembly up about 3" if need be, or it may hit the frame like that. That also puts the engagement cover (cable or air) pointing straight down.

The air shift cover just requires air pressure to actuate, and disengages via internal spring return when pressure is removed, just like a fan clutch on a 939 series. Could use a front axle engagement switch to engage since it bleeds off when disengaged.

If it will fit, this means the winch control tower from my 925 will be for sale as soon as soon as I switch over to hydraulic solenoid valves, and more passenger legroom, because we always want our passengers to be comfortable....

74M35A2

Well, there goes my air engagement cover idea. Looks like there is only 1/2" of clearance between the existing cable actuated cover and the exhaust pipe on my 925A2. The model number on mine is also different than what GR posted above, just FYI. Still a Chelsea unit.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks