• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adventures in WMO

JCKnife

I finally got started with WMO today. I've had a drum in the garage for some time, and picked up a cheap-o HF hand-crank barrel pump (that may prove to be the weak link). Got the filter and housing from NAPA as indicated in other threads here.

Once the pump was assembled, the biggest challenge was getting a hose from the pump outlet pipe into the filter. Had to step down 4 times from 1" to 3/4" to 5/8" to 1/2". Rig looks like I'm keeping hose clamp companies in business.

Cranked out about 1/2 QT just to see what it looked like. Still awful black. I wasn't expecting golden honey but I thought it would look a little cleaner. :grin:

Set a 5 gal. can under the outlet hose and started really cranking. Got maybe a gallon into it when I notice some drops leaking out around the crank handle. Could it already be backpressure from the filter causing this? The oil is pretty cold, maybe 35 degrees this morning and was just under freezing all night. I assume it would flow better when warmer.

I'm going to crank out some more later and mix in old gas from the boat and power tools that has sat all winter (maybe 5 gal max?) and dump her in the deuce. What could go wrong?
:-D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have seen some of the horrible freight pumps fail. One blew oil everywhere! That was dfd2010, ask him for info. It is quite a challenge to get everything plumbed up isn't it. Dumping the gas in the oil to be filtered makes pumping easier. It sounds to me like you don't have a pressure gauge on your filter setup, might want to add some/one. The filters will crush and be worthless around 100psi. The gauges will also let you know which filter is plugged if more than one is used. Finally, a hand pump?! Your gonna look like Popeye this summer, hehe.

JCKnife

No i don't have a pressure gauge. Good thought but man...something else to work in?!?

I eats me spinachk.

gimpyrobb

Well, the filter bases I use have many hook up/port options on them. I simply pulled out a plug and installed a gauge, sounds like yours might not be that easy. Keep in mind that the deuce fuel tank holds 50ish gal. You'll be turning that pump for quite some time to fill it up!

JCKnife

Yeah my filter housing has IN - OUT and that's it (I'll look again, but pretty sure...)

I think in the first year of ownership I've filled the tank twice. Not all of us drive like you do. :D

JCKnife

I ended up getting about 4.5 gallons filtered today and poured it in the tank. Washed it down with 1/2 gal of diesel plus what little was already in the tank. She fired right up, no smoke to note, ran very smooth. I want to say it sounded a little "less rattley" but that's probably just my imagination. But, for the record, shut off the master switch and fuel continued to flow (I figured it would) and just had no issues. Didn't leave the driveway, just idled for a few minutes. Still, very pleased.

Oh, and I did pour a little gas in the drum but not much. I don't want to turn a very mild fire hazard into an explosive risk. Just too many chances for sparks around that barrel.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Tractor Supply (shameless plug) sells some great 12 volt pumps that will move a lot of liquid.

Just make sure you put a strainer on the pickup tube to keep crud from getting into the pump vane. I just use a piece of screen wire hose clamped to the end of the tube.

Also never pump to the very bottom of a source unless you know there is no water/crud in there.

The temptation is to get every drop of potiential fuel but if you gunk up filters you will go broke replacing them.

panshark

I got one of the HF hand cranks that I use to take wmo out of my final tank. I had 2 filters on it, the durn thing wouldn't pump good enough for the effort I was putting into it. I took off the fuel filter, kept the oil filter on, it pumps good enough now. I did that in the summer, I would have killed myself spinning that hand crank in winter with thicker oil.

Last edited:

pacebm

Wreckerman - you got a link to the pumps you are talking about? I see the GPI pumps that mount on top of a fuel tank. Is that what you are talking about?

wdbtchr

What size filter are you using? I use a 20 micron hydraulic filter followed by a 6 micron fuel filter for finished oil on my electric pump. I use the 20 micron for all my oil pumping, from source or storage, and valve in the 6 micron for pumping oil to the truck.

JCKnife

I can't find the thread now but I found the napa filter and housing, including part #s, from a thread here.

Josh

Get one of these.
Air Operated Oil Pump with Suction Pipe

I've moved several hundred gallons with mine and no issues. It will easily do 5-6gpm even when its 25-30deg outside. I have to go buy a new one though since someone stole mine out of the back of my truck. Its payed for itself after the first half tank of oil.

gimpyrobb

Get one of these.
Air Operated Oil Pump with Suction Pipe

I've moved several hundred gallons with mine and no issues. It will easily do 5-6gpm even when its 25-30deg outside. I have to go buy a new one though since someone stole mine out of the back of my truck. Its payed for itself after the first half tank of oil.
I understand that THAT pump has worked for you. BUT! That is the pump that Dfd2010 used and had it explode and launch oil all over the place. As I said earlier, watch your setup for the first filtering sessions and include a psi gauge to know whats going on with your system.

JCKnife;768191[... said:
She fired right up, no smoke to note, ran very smooth. I want to say it sounded a little "less rattley" but that's probably just my imagination.

[...]

Oh, and I did pour a little gas in the drum but not much. I don't want to turn a very mild fire hazard into an explosive risk. Just too many chances for sparks around that barrel.

about less rattley: I noticed that, too. The motor runs quiter with an oil mix.

I always dilute the WMO with a mix of gas / diesel I get for free from gas stations here (leftovers from pumping out tanks from people who put the wrong fuel into their tanks). It filters easier and is generally easier to handle, and I hear that wmo should be cut with something lighter anyhow - it's easier on the pump and in cold weather.

Cheers,
Mark

Josh

I understand that THAT pump has worked for you. BUT! That is the pump that Dfd2010 used and had it explode and launch oil all over the place. As I said earlier, watch your setup for the first filtering sessions and include a psi gauge to know whats going on with your system.
Like all things, No matter what, someone, somewhere will have an issue with it. I understand HF stuff is normally junk, but I learned that when I'm pumping oil that my hand is always on the air shutoff incase of an emergency. Learned that from day one when my filtered oil hose poped out of the container. It got ab out 5 gallons on the ground before I realized it poped out. Since then a little precausion and have yet to have a problem.

As always :beer:

JCKnife

I pumped about 4 gallons via hand crank yesterday and hardly noticed it (in terms of time or effort). I now have a line on a full drum of waste oil I can have for free. I'll get back to you after that one.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

Like all things, No matter what, someone, somewhere will have an issue with it. I understand HF stuff is normally junk, but I learned that when I'm pumping oil that my hand is always on the air shutoff incase of an emergency. Learned that from day one when my filtered oil hose poped out of the container. It got ab out 5 gallons on the ground before I realized it poped out. Since then a little precausion and have yet to have a problem.

As always :beer:
I do the same thing. It seems that once the filters get plugged up the pressure in the filter system sky rockets! I too have had issues with my equipment and know to keep an eye on it. I figure, for the money I save in fuel, I can spend an hour or so making sure everything goes smoothly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks