• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice for FNG with trailer M101A3

fran35

Hey guys,
I was hoping for some educated guesswork. I just won an auction on GL for a M101A3 trailer and am hoping to get some advice about what to expect from the trailer once my EUC gets cleared and I prepare to bring it home. The trailer is apparently a 1995 Kasel M101A3. It appears to me to be in decent shape, but I was wondering what you guys see. When I go to retreive it, can I plan on towing it or should I look at other options? I have attached some photos and please give me you opinions. I ended up winning it for $340--I hope it was worth it.

Thanks so much
Frank

Attachments

steelandcanvas

Bring yourself a set of magnetic tow lights to plug into your tow vehicle. Doesn't look too bad, I've seen alot worse. Check lugs on the trailer. Make sure the surge brake unit is securely mounted.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Late style body, A3 axle, sidboards, good paint looks stright, no visible dents on the tailgate.. Looks very good. Check the bearings, put a plate and magnetic lights on it, and drive it home!

Jimma

I got my magnetic lights at Harbor Frieght - $9.00 They work great. Check tire pressure. I pulled my M105 home and tires looked awesome and they were but they had very little pressure in them making for a slower heavier feeling tow.

rogerm101a2

nice looking trailer!! how far are you going with it? be careful of the breaks!!! i have picked up many trailers and the brakes will lock up or the trailer will hop because the hydraulic on the tongue will be loose and make the trailer do all kinds of things..If your interested i have a wiring harness to make the trailer fit your truck without any mods. its a plug and play no cutting wires and no guess work on wires.

Scarecrow1

Like most have said just go over your new trailer with the proper road inspection , drive it for a few miles and pull over and put your hand on the wheel bearings to make sure they aren't over heating or that your brakes are not releasing properly . Other than that just your common sense and a little caution will go a long way . Good luck and congrads on your new trailer . I have had a ball with mine and am yet to put a load on it that it can't handle ........

treessw

Ive still got the mag lights on mine just ran them in front of the mil lights and ran the wire underneath. Zip tied the mag. lights to the fame near the orig. lights. Just have not got a chance to do much else with it. Hope this helps? The trailer is carrying a full cord, or two Ric's depending on where your from. Your from Pa. so a full cord, 4x4x8 plus extra

lindyp38

bring two spare tires......

remove front and rear gates.....leave the sides on.....

hook up and drive off....

after first 20miles or so.......stop and feel the wheel bearing caps.....if cool to the touch ..ur good to go....if theyre hot...ull have to repackk them.....warm is ok......hot is not good......

good luck.....

my fort drum went off without a hitch.......

they even lowered onto my pintle hitch for me......while still on the fork lift.....lol

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
It's got the upgraded heavy duty spring kit, means you can haul more. Just wire in a flat 4 connector and swap to 12 volt bulbs and your set.

fran35

Ive still got the mag lights on mine just ran them in front of the mil lights and ran the wire underneath. Zip tied the mag. lights to the fame near the orig. lights. Just have not got a chance to do much else with it. Hope this helps? The trailer is carrying a full cord, or two Ric's depending on where your from. Your from Pa. so a full cord, 4x4x8 plus extra

Beautiful. The base where I work gives firewood permits for $10 a load. It beats the heck out of my Ford Ranger bed for hauling. How does the dump feature work and I am wondering if this thing even has it?

storeman

either model will do a great job for your purposes. the smaller wheels/tires on the a2 will make it tow more level for you. I plan to replace the 37" tires on mine with cucv/A2 wheels and tires in the spring to accomplish just that. main differences between them is 45" between fender wells on a2 and 55" on a3, plus 3/4 ton capacity on a2 and 1 ton on a3.
jerry

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Beautiful. The base where I work gives firewood permits for $10 a load. It beats the heck out of my Ford Ranger bed for hauling. How does the dump feature work and I am wondering if this thing even has it?
The bolts that attach the front of the bed to the tongue, pull them out, there may be one or two places the wire harness needs to be un-clamped from the tongue and bed then set your parking brakes on the 101 then back up with the truck, if your not loaded to nose heavy it should dump, the first time you may need to help it though, to break through the paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks