• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice for FNG with trailer M101A3

fran35

they support the cover.......usually wood...but are available in metal.......

Oh, I guess you weren't directing that at me.

Ok one more stupid question: Am I going to need a bulldog mounted on the receiver area/or a floor jack to raise and lower the pintle to hitch level?

Nonotagain

OK-not sure what you mean by bows?
The bows are the supports that hold the tarp up.

The tongue weight is around 125 lbs, so it can be lifted by hand, but use the mounted jack.

What you have is a M101A2 trailer with the up-graded supports of an A3 bed. At least the outside supports. The inner wheel wells are as mentioned 45" apart verses 55" for the A3.

A year ago getting a M101A2 from Ft Meade was un-heard of.

The safety chains will need to be lengthened to attach to the points beside the receiver hitch. Harbor Freight lights may or may not be wired correct and the magnets suck. Drop the tail gate and duct tape the lights in place.

Once outside Ft Meade stop just before you get back onto I-295 to check the brakes and bearings as there is no place to pull over until you get almost to the tunnel. Also check to see that the break-away brake lever is released.

Last edited:

lindyp38

The recovery went well.......they lowered onto my pintle hitch with the forklift.....and drove it back home without any problems......
The bows are visible in 2 of the three pics..i posted.....

I have since added....and od top.....and switched over from wood bows...to metal ones......

treessw

Oh, I guess you weren't directing that at me.

Ok one more stupid question: Am I going to need a bulldog mounted on the receiver area/or a floor jack to raise and lower the pintle to hitch level?
the trailer is light enough to man handle, but a adjustable pintle plate and hitch are good and a high-lift also comes in handy. especially if youve got to change tires etc!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI, most any 8 lug on 6 1/2 bolt pattern wheel will work. Your trailer does have an A3 axle which is stepped up in the center for ground clearance. Looks like standard A2 (or CUCV) rolling stock on there now. Bring a spare or two just in case. Empty you can move it around pretty easy. If you should stumble across an A3 bed with the fenders moved out, it will fit like a dream and gain you some much needed space between the inner fenders. Good looking trailer. Oh, its a pretty quick job should you need to repack the bearings for the ride home.

fran35

FYI, most any 8 lug on 6 1/2 bolt pattern wheel will work. Your trailer does have an A3 axle which is stepped up in the center for ground clearance. Looks like standard A2 (or CUCV) rolling stock on there now. Bring a spare or two just in case. Empty you can move it around pretty easy. If you should stumble across an A3 bed with the fenders moved out, it will fit like a dream and gain you some much needed space between the inner fenders. Good looking trailer. Oh, its a pretty quick job should you need to repack the bearings for the ride home.

Thanks so much guys, you have been a huge help. While I am waiting for my EUC, do you think that Ft Meade will let me come look at the trailer so I have an idea as to if I should bring a trailer in case the brakes are locked. I work on another base nearby and could get on Meade with my ID. Getting something to haul the trailer inside of if the brakes are FUBAR could be an ordeal and I would like to plan for it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
drgreg, that is in fact a pure M101A3 trailer and a dang nice specimin at that! It's not too common that you get the crank handle with the trailer unless of course, you brought that with you!

lexluther

If I were doing it again, I wouldnt bother with the lights, but I got mine at herlong and drove to Redding. Two spairs seems like a bit mutch, but you should be able to get an idea about your tires from the pics. I would highly recommend taking a bolt that you can use to lock out the brake actuator...

lexluther

I figured it would be ok in my signature line, I hope I didnt offend, just-in-case, I removed it. I had sold and purchased excess stuff in the classified section since I first joined, last week the rule changed, so that now you have to get 100 posts before you can sell... It is a good rule, but I wish they had grandfathered in existing members. We probably shouldnt thread jack, shoot me a PM if you want to chat further...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks