• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice needed - new guy with MEP004A

Back-in-Black

I do have one question. I left off the pot for voltage adjust. Partly because it's already tight, but partly because I was thinking of just using the micro-pot on the voltage regulator. I can't imagine that the voltage would need adjusting all that often???? If you guys think I'll need / want that adjustment on the front panel, I should be able to make it fit. What are your thoughts?

Scoobyshep

I do have one question. I left off the pot for voltage adjust. Partly because it's already tight, but partly because I was thinking of just using the micro-pot on the voltage regulator. I can't imagine that the voltage would need adjusting all that often???? If you guys think I'll need / want that adjustment on the front panel, I should be able to make it fit. What are your thoughts?
In your application set and forget. The reason these sets have a voltage regulator out and easy is for paralleling.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Abrant23

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Back-in-Black

Been looking on amazon but nothing like what's on the panel now that I've found. I'm missing one and the other 2 could use some help. Guess I'll just pick another style.

Thanks for the reply.

Back-in-Black

They were selling units that included one of these controls for about $14 each on GP a few months ago. The unit also came with a battery charger and other interesting widgets included for that price. Looks like the buyer is making a nice return on his investment!

Yes, he told me via email that it came out of a LDSS unit (Load Demand Start Stop - whatever that means) and that he and others had tried to resell the whole units but no one seemed to be interested so he parted his out. If you look on ebay now for LDSS there are a few for sale for ~$800. I was quite happy to pay him $225 for the 3 items I got. Not sure I'll find a use for the other 2 pieces but I know the rock bottom unit (base options) I priced new was right at $1,000. This one has got ALL the options and then some and the sticker has never been removed from the LCD screen - so not "new" but apparently unused. It should be here tomorrow. Anytime you buy something second hand like that it's really just a gamble. Hopefully I'll come OK on this gamble. It was a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new. Guess I'll pretty much know tomorrow evening.

Back-in-Black

I guess I should watch for stuff like that but just not enough hours in the day and honestly, I'm storing so much crap now, I can't imagine sitting on pallets of stuff like this. I have 8 racks full a Crestron and Extron A/V gear that I got early summer and I've only taken one rack down so far. It's all just eating up space in my shop. My goal for that stuff was to set up some "learning stations" for some local schools so students could play with programming and such. Not making much progress yet but I need to get off my ass and get at least one "learning station" up to see if schools would even be interested in something like that.

Hopefully, I'll get some time this weekend to power up the DGC and connect it to my laptop and play around with it a bit. I've done lots of reading and research on genset controllers over the past few months and from what I know and have seen, this model / brand is one of the most robust and flexible units out there. But I'm still quite the novice in the world of generators.

I've been trying to go thru the manual for it which I downloaded over a month ago. It's a 650 page manual and there are lots of things I just don't understand yet. Mostly things to do with generators, power and that type of stuff. For sure going to be a learning experience.

Will keep posting in this thread. Not sure anyone is all that interested but figure it'd be a pretty cool project to document.

Back-in-Black

My "new" DGC-2020 arrived. Looks brand new and the sticker is still on the LCD pretty much confirming that it's never been used / operated. I thought I had a 24 VDC power supply here that would run it but when I actually checked, the ps I have ain't got enough umph to run it. Walked out to the shop and hooked it up to a battery and it comes up fine but it's too cold out there to carry my laptop out there to screw with it. Got a 20 amp ps on order. Should be here next week and I'll start playing with programing it.

Been thinking all along about eliminating the day tank on this thing. 15 gallons just ain't enough to worry with with all the extra plumbing and such. I also took apart all the fuel inlet, aux tank hook-ups and such off the enclosure panel to get it ready for sandblasting and all that crud pretty much made up my mind - not putting the day tank back in. So if anyone needs some parts - tank, filler, steel lines, fittings, etc, let me know. Free to a good home -just pay shipping and it's yours.

Back-in-Black

You mean set tank. Day tank is the small, maybe a gallon tank on the right side.

Yeah, don't have a "day tank". Never would have known it was there at one time if you hadn't said so. But yes, getting rid of the $15 gallon tank and all associated plumbing.

Removed all the schematics from inside the panels. Drilled out the rivets, then filled the holes with the MIG. Want to eliminate any holes that dirt dobbers and wasps can crawl thru and build nests inside. There were plenty of those when I got it. Been cleaning them out since day 1. Also filled the bolt holes from where those tool boxes were mounted. Removed the welded on panel for the fuel filler. Will have to get some plate to weld over the hole.

20211224_095203.jpg

20211224_095109.jpg

20211224_115640.jpg

Back-in-Black

Spent most of yesterday taking the case further apart. Today I blasted and primed some of the smaller parts. After letting the shackles soak in penetrating oil I finally got the apart. Spent a good 4 -5 hours yesterday putting a basketball goal together. :)

20211224_183810.jpg

20211225_120249.jpg

20211225_131954.jpg

Back-in-Black

Sunday, I chained the skid assembly to the tractor to make sure it could lift it. No problem.

My 24 volt , 20 amp power supply came in today. Hooked it up and the DGC came right up. Connected to it with my laptop via USB and checked it out. It's the latest and greatest hardware version so I am very happy with that. Just need to spend some time programming it now.

Oh, and a steelsoldiers member has asked for the fuel tank and such so it is spoken for. I will ship it all to him as soon as I get some time.

20211226_161803.jpg

20211227_184742.jpg

Live shot from software listing options present on this unit.

DGC-2020 options - style.PNG

Last edited:

Scoobyshep

Gen connection is what the generator is connected to for sync input

Buss connection is the field buss sync reference

Rotation is the rotation direction

These settings are all for 3 phase paralleling(basically a syncroscope), an option you wont be using.

Back-in-Black

OK, I'll try to dig up that info searching but for now, just gonna leave it like that. I believe "bus" is how they refer to the power from the grid.

Scoobyshep

Yes. But in a synchronization application buss can be grid or other live source.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks