• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

After looking all summer I finally won an 003 today

Triple Jim

Or don't use the hold down bracket. Mine didn't come with any, and unless we get a bigger earthquake than the one we had in 2011... Of course if the generator is still on a trailer and towed around I can understand wanting it/them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow the convoy route signs from exit 48(I81).

The convoy route brings you in to the base on Oneida ave. The DRMO lot is straight in from this entrance. Look for it on your left, after the first traffic light. If you get to the second traffic light, do a U turn(you passed it).

Last edited:

Rapracing

Thanks Doghead! Good meeting you today.

After about 13 total hours I got it home at 6:30 tonight. All I know for sure so far is I can turn the fan. It seems to have significantly more compression than the 002 does. I'll start going over things and getting the fluids back in it over the next few days.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, long day for you!

It was nice to meet you too.

Rapracing

I need to find part #8 retainer & #9 Spring in the oil filter assembly.

Figure 4-30 in TM 5-6115-584-12

Anyone have any or an idea where I can get them?

Thanks

Last edited:

Rapracing

Looks like I need the washer and castle nut for the fuel strainer canister.

TM5-6115-585-24P
Page 66
Parts 1 & 2

I assume it is a copper washer? Any idea of the size and where to get one? Looks like the all bolt is 5/16.

As for the nut, I should be able to use a 5/16 Brass Hex Nut, Correct??

I also need from same TM, Page 72

Part #5 Hose

Anything special about this hose and where is the best place to get it?

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't intend to hijack thread - but didn't want t start a new one either!
I too just won an MEP-003a. Looks like I'll be subscribing to some more threads for help and parts. TM already ordered (I prefer to have one in the grubby mits when working).

So - I am going to assume that it will slide right into my 3/4ton 8' bed pickup no problem... 1300 lbs should be fine.

Thanks in advance.

Isaac-1

Should fit no problem, I managed to fit mine in a short bed SuperDuty F250 with a tool box, of course I had only about 1/4 inch to spare for the tailgate to close. The only issue may be loading depending on the skill and equipment of the GL forklift operator. To avoid the bed getting scuffed up to much, you might want to bring a heavy duty pallet to the load out, that way they can place it on the pallet partly on the tailgate and then slide it in the rest of the way. Also be ware those GL forklift operators, I have seen some that should not be allowed to touch much less operate equipment, you don't want them dropping the generator on the side walls of your truck, or worse yet on you.

Ike

Munchies

When loading a tight trailer or in your case a pickup, I bring a chain with me. Wrap it around the fork, have the guy tip up the forks so it doesnt slip off, and pick it up via the load ring on the set. put it on a half sheet of plywood in a pickup, bring a moving blanket if you want your bed to stay pretty. Flatbed trailer is smooth and simple

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When loading a tight trailer or in your case a pickup, I bring a chain with me. Wrap it around the fork, have the guy tip up the forks so it doesnt slip off, and pick it up via the load ring on the set. put it on a half sheet of plywood in a pickup, bring a moving blanket if you want your bed to stay pretty. Flatbed trailer is smooth and simple
My pickup is a 1/4 million + farm truck with little paint left in the bed... but I just can't seem to part with that Cummins!
As far as a trailer, could do that but the tolls would make it less economical!
I always have chains etc, I think the issue will be navigating the goose neck ball and security chain rings! 4x2's should do it...

Thanks all. In 10 days or so - I'll hit the airwaves with all the silly first time owner questions. After I have searched naturally.

steelypip

Welcome to the club. You may find the initial housebreaking a chore, but as long as you read and follow the TMs and play safe, you'll end up with a stout and simple genset worth a whole lot more than you have in it.

Isaac-1

It sounds like yours may still have a bit of life left in it, our old '94 Dodge model 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins farm truck finally gave out around 319,000 a few years back (it had a rough life though, rammed by bulls more than once, had a round bale of hay dropped through the windshield when it was less than an month old, etc.), was replaced by a used 2000 F-250 with a 7.3 that is now the spare truck that tends to sit in my driveway in semi-retirement with a mere 225,000 and still going as it was replaced by a 2008 Dodge 3500 dually for farm use (found a deal too good to pass up on a then 2 year old truck, $13,000 as I recall).

Ike

Rapracing

I've been too busy to do much but tinker getting this thing ready to start up. Finally picked up a couple batteries today and took the time to see if it would run. I ran the primer for a few minutes, glow plugs for about 30 seconds and it took right off. It ran for a minute or so and shut off. One of the fuel filter seals was leaking. I replaced it and it fired right up. Voltage and hz checked out at all spots. I left it run for about an hour just for the fun of hearing it purr. rofl

I need to get a load on it but so far it looks good.