• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

After market seats or alternate seats for HMMWV / m998 ?

Dock Rocker

Most of the suspension style seats I have seen in Hmmwv's went with a 5 point harness. I am guessing the reason they did this is due to the same problem you are having.

I actually just got some of the Smittybilt Standard Buckets delivered and I am in the process of trying to get them in.

The issue that came up is the angle of the seat back. The HMMWV high back seats are nearly vertical, while the Smittybilts have an angle of recline to them. So the back of my seat hits the seatbelt reel on the b pillar and I can't get the seat far enough back.

So my question to you guys who put aftermarket seats in, what did you do with your seatbelts in your set up, or did your seats work fine with the location of the reel.
I'm brainstorming on where to relocate my reel too, but I am open to other ideas as well.
Unless your seats are really wide, there should be a few inches available to move the seats closer to the vehicle's center so that your seatbacks will clear the reels.

IMAG0003.jpg

Last edited:

DatGuyC

The high back seat kits come with a steel plate that bolts to the top of the battery cover for reinforcement. You would probably want to do something similar when going aftermarket.

jstovall10

Although.. These don't seem too bad for the price.

have you put those seats in? i'm thinking about getting them but want to make sure they would work for the rear seats

Jon0249

I used a set of seats from a Razor UTV. Lightweight, side supports hold you in, and so much more comfortable than the OEM seats. Added a sliding rail from a donor Jeep seat for the driver, and cut the top section of the rail behind the driver seat. I'm 6'6" and needed that extra 2". Works great. The other seats are stationary. No complaints. Will get some pics up in a few days.

Jon0249

Yeah, thought of half a dozen ways to beef up the bar, but decided since its purpose was to provide lateral stability for the body, I would be OK. Maybe strengthening it will be a future improvement. No harder than I use it, it's fine.

Jon0249

Ok, finally got a few pics for the benefit of the brotherhood of vertically gifted. I'm 6'6" tall and the changes I made give me that "just right" amount of leg room.

While not really that much to look at, it's effective. I removed the original seat, leaving only the base level frame. Added steel angle iron around it so I could weld the slider (donor from a Jeep Cherokee) to it. A router with a carbide bit makes a nice clean cut in the aluminum cross bar. Because of the angle of the seat back, I did not have to cut into the bottom section of the crossbar. In a future project, I will be building a base level frame that is about 2" shorter. Current sitting height is a bit too high for me to see my side mirror clearly, and my eye level is almost even with the soft top. Slight discomfort that is overcome by the extra legroom.Height issues 1.jpgHeight issues 2.jpgHeight issues 3.jpgHeight issues 4.jpg

orgnal

Ok, finally got a few pics for the benefit of the brotherhood of vertically gifted. I'm 6'6" tall and the changes I made give me that "just right" amount of leg room.

While not really that much to look at, it's effective. I removed the original seat, leaving only the base level frame. Added steel angle iron around it so I could weld the slider (donor from a Jeep Cherokee) to it. A router with a carbide bit makes a nice clean cut in the aluminum cross bar. Because of the angle of the seat back, I did not have to cut into the bottom section of the crossbar. In a future project, I will be building a base level frame that is about 2" shorter. Current sitting height is a bit too high for me to see my side mirror clearly, and my eye level is almost even with the soft top. Slight discomfort that is overcome by the extra legroom.View attachment 663335View attachment 663336View attachment 663337View attachment 663338
That's a neat idea ! I will see if something like this would work for me.

McReddy

Bart051284

I used a set of seats from a Razor UTV. Lightweight, side supports hold you in, and so much more comfortable than the OEM seats. Added a sliding rail from a donor Jeep seat for the driver, and cut the top section of the rail behind the driver seat. I'm 6'6" and needed that extra 2". Works great. The other seats are stationary. No complaints. Will get some pics up in a few days.

So can the bar behind the driver and passenger be removed or altered to give that extra space? I just received mine and i was thinking of putting seats out of an late 90s prelude in it. Theyre low profile buckets just not sure about those rails behind the seats

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks