• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket engine upgrades

Chinookpilot77

Ah, no worries man. I will have to figure out a hydraulic set up once at the same time I do the power steering. God I am going to be working on this truck for years!

What if a guy were to use an allison with an adapter plate though?

mudguppy

i'll be going full hydro steering using a PSC kit for a rockwell axle. lots of people don't like that and some states specifically say that is illegal.

the allison is completely doable. if you're doing a MD allison, obtain an SAE bellhousing and you're good. trans like the 545 are all hydraulically controlled (i believe). the lockup and/or overdrive trans are going to require a controller. still, shouldn't be too hard.

problem may come when upping the power and changing shift points. while peak power numbers may be comparable between a MD engine and a modded 6bt, you'll need to change shift points and such. an allison dealer may be willing to work with you and help you set it up correctly and tweak it.

and if you're using an allison from a cheby/gmc, then you'll need an adapter from destroked.com and a stand-alone controller.

mudguppy

yes, but the 3116 is a dog (no pun intended. well, maybe).

it'd be expensive to turn up. but, yes, if you can get them for a good price then it would be a good platform. the tranny may be a at545? or a 3spd non-lockup?

i don't think i've ever seen one w/ a winch, tho. anyone have pics? i'd assume it'd be a hyd winch...

Chinookpilot77

Well I'm just trying to weigh all my options here Mud. 300hp is a far cry from a 500hp monster I was thinking about...but I think for that much less money I could live with 300hp. (and from what I've read in the last 2 hours 300hp is pretty doable on the 3116...correct me if I'm wrong)

I was just looking on GL and I see about 15 A3's for sale down in redstone, AL and a few in montgomery and ft. stewart. Now I just have to talk one of you guys into picking it up for me...lol

I thank you all so much for all this information, I am learning quick! I have two months before I get back to the states, and then I'll be hard-charging to get this project in motion. Deer season is 6 months out!!!!!

mudguppy

...300hp is a far cry from a 500hp monster I was thinking about...but I think for that much less money I could live with 300hp. (and from what I've read in the last 2 hours 300hp is pretty doable on the 3116...correct me if I'm wrong)...
no no, you're right - 300hp out of a medium duty diesel is a lot of power. but i don't know how high you can take it. i'll ask around, because i know at different power levels there are different pistons and compression ratios. (for example, you may not be able to take a 170hp motor that high, but a 210 can, etc.)

what's the rated hp of the 3116 in the A3?

Chinookpilot77

225, but there was a 300hp version available for the 5 ton....which means this engine will still be bulletproof at 300hp. I think I've honestly made up my mind now. There is no way I was going to roll with 150hp and 330ft/lbs. This cat with the auto has me really really thinking hard about buying it up. No winch, but at least it already has air assist steering.....

So, who wants to buy my truck for me and make some cold hard cash? lol

mudguppy

many times more than what a general m35a2 would cost. $5k. $7.5k $10k? more? i think it depends on how many are on the auction and how bad someone wants one.

clutch

ive smoked 1 clutch broke 1 clutch and broke 1 input shaft in a nv4500. 24 valve cummins 100hp injectors and a 120 horse edge box but i love my hot rod cummins! i think it would be a nasty motor in a deuce along with the nv4500.:twisted:

Attachments