• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket LED lighting for HMMWV

FFesco

Has anyone used any of the aftermarket LED lights sold online? Any recommendations?

How about wiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone used any of the aftermarket LED lights sold online? Any recommendations?

How about wiring?

Yes people have used them.
Yes they need to be wired.

You probably need to be more specific of what kind of lights and how you want to wire them.

FFesco

New to using forums as well as not very good with automotive electronics! I’ve searched a few lights that will fit the way I want, but trying to understand the wiring.

Basically, can’t I cut the stock wire connector (rubber boot) and just solder it together or should I do it another way?

suzukovich

No HUMVEEs are 24v systems
Any aftermarket has to be 24v. You can find 24v bulbs or light out there with the mil connectors.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

Skrilex

Banned
In my experience the lifespan claim can be debatable. Also, amp draw is not really an advantage as most of the time they end up putting resistors in the bulb so that the functions still work and vehicle doesn’t freak out. As far as run temps, the design called for incandescent bulbs then in theory the temps are accounted for, and usually are.

So, it’s down to cool factor.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all LED's are multi-volt , 24v on a 12v they won't last long.
Apparently results vary. This is the first time I've heard of one blowing almost immediately.

I've used 12v LED tow lights plugged one pin at a time into the 12pin 24v trailer connection without issue.

Skrilex, FWIW I agree with your assessment.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a bunch of little boards with 3528 LEDs. They were super for a minute then ceased to function. I find LEDs very useful. Maybe not so much as headlights but they're virtually limitless when it comes to compartments lights. Shoot, I even have them in my trailer. It has a tiny battery and tinier solar panel. The trailer has been sitting 2 year but still has functioning lights.

dhaumann69166

LED’s have a voltage operating range from 4v to 30v when made for automotive use. There are some rare cases when they are 12v specific and the seller should be able to tell you if they are. I have a set of LED headlights that I got for $90 on Amazon. They already have the correct 3 prong plug on them and fit perfect. Try to avoid the ones with fancy bezel around the outside because they might not fit under the housing. LED’s are great in my opinion because the little amount of juice they take and they hold up to abuse way better than filament bulbs. Oh yea and they are blinding bright!!!
I have heard of people having issues with the tail light/turn signals when they switch to LED but I think it is an easy fix.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now for some useless info regarding the "evil" side effect of the much brighter and much more efficient LEDs. Light pollution. Studies are showing that because their lifespan and miniscule operating costs, more folks are "Leaving the Lights On". Can't make this stuff up.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now for some useless info regarding the "evil" side effect of the much brighter and much more efficient LEDs. Light pollution. Studies are showing that because their lifespan and miniscule operating costs, more folks are "Leaving the Lights On". Can't make this stuff up.
And as a result the astronomy crowd hates them and wants laws passed to restrict them...

Skrilex

Banned
Ever looked down from a plane at night and seen the way certain municipalities shield their street lamps from the sky? This seems like a good code to enact. Simply putting efficient reflectors on the lamps helps a lot. However now in my neighborhood I’ve noticed all the street lamps are suddenly led. Led is naturally directional as the emit from a board. So, this will help light pollution over time.
In regard to durability, I was following a 120$k all electric Tesla the other night and it had broken leds in its brake lights. So, they are not necessarily more break resistant than incans, and when they need replacing they can be a whole bunch less convenient.
I do think they look cool and I’ve swapped all my trailers to led but I generally resist going nuts on cars because the instance of problems with either the bulbs or the vehicles after install is far too great.
Oh and I’m also the guy who if your blue hid obnoxious headlights hurt my eyes, I wait until you’re about 25’ from me and I pull brights. I wish cops would ticket people for those blue lights, I think they are a major hazard, but that’s digressing.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh and I’m also the guy who if your blue hid obnoxious headlights hurt my eyes, I wait until you’re about 25’ from me and I pull brights. g.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Is this operating on the principle that two blinded drivers is safer than one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks