• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket LED lighting for HMMWV

Action

LED’s have a voltage operating range from 4v to 30v when made for automotive use. There are some rare cases when they are 12v specific and the seller should be able to tell you if they are. I have a set of LED headlights that I got for $90 on Amazon. They already have the correct 3 prong plug on them and fit perfect. Try to avoid the ones with fancy bezel around the outside because they might not fit under the housing. LED’s are great in my opinion because the little amount of juice they take and they hold up to abuse way better than filament bulbs. Oh yea and they are blinding bright!!!
I have heard of people having issues with the tail light/turn signals when they switch to LED but I think it is an easy fix.
They already have the correct 3 prong plug and fit perfect in what? I thought my headlights have 3 wires hanging off the back.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve swapped all my trailers to led......
I love the omnivolt led lights in my trailers and swapped almost all of them over from incandescent lights for the mere fact that I have both 12 and 24 volt vehicles----for instance, I can tow one of my m416 trailers behind my m151, swap over to my cucv, then go the the f250 and back without giving a thought to bulb voltage or light brightness, adapters (fair disclosure: I added a mil receptacle to the back of all my civi tow rigs to nix the light plug adapter issue as well), etc. And don't even get me started on the convenience of omnivolt lighting on my semi trailers (I have my m818 and m915s and my brother in law has a civi tractor)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ever looked down from a plane at night and seen the way certain municipalities shield their street lamps from the sky? This seems like a good code to enact. Simply putting efficient reflectors on the lamps helps a lot. However now in my neighborhood I’ve noticed all the street lamps are suddenly led. Led is naturally directional as the emit from a board. So, this will help light pollution over time.
In regard to durability, I was following a 120$k all electric Tesla the other night and it had broken leds in its brake lights. So, they are not necessarily more break resistant than incans, and when they need replacing they can be a whole bunch less convenient.
I do think they look cool and I’ve swapped all my trailers to led but I generally resist going nuts on cars because the instance of problems with either the bulbs or the vehicles after install is far too great.
Oh and I’m also the guy who if your blue hid obnoxious headlights hurt my eyes, I wait until you’re about 25’ from me and I pull brights. I wish cops would ticket people for those blue lights, I think they are a major hazard, but that’s digressing.

I don't know how the law is where you are at , but here in michigan that will get you a pretty hefty fine and a few points for hitting the brights to oncoming traffic

dhaumann69166

It’s illegal everywhere to be an a$$hole and flash your brights at people just because you don’t like their blue lights.

Most humvees and other vehicles with the standard 7” round sealed beam headlight have a 3 prong plug your head lights plug into. Two vertical plugs side by side with one horizontal underneath. Some aftermarket LED’s have an extra wire for park lights. I have noticed a lot listed that come with an adapter for newer style plugs.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s illegal everywhere to be an a*****e and flash your brights at people just because you don’t like their blue lights.

Most humvees and other vehicles with the standard 7” round sealed beam headlight have a 3 prong plug your head lights plug into. Two vertical plugs side by side with one horizontal underneath. Some aftermarket LED’s have an extra wire for park lights. I have noticed a lot listed that come with an adapter for newer style plugs.
So HMMWV's don't use a standard military headlight with 3 wires with cannon plugs , like everything else ?

JoeJrTheBarber

Also don't forget the safety factor with LED's, as they come on faster then a standard bulb and are much more vibration resistant.
Faster reaction time from you pressing the brake pedal till the light actually turns on is huge to let people know you are stopping, especially in trucks as large as these.
My truck is currently under the knife getting all the lights replaced with LED's from headlight to turn signal to brake to markers..

Action

It’s illegal everywhere to be an a$$hole and flash your brights at people just because you don’t like their blue lights.

https://www.easternsurplus.net/Docu...e3456b-08122015-cropped-24 Volt Headlight.jpg

dhaumann69166

So HMMWV's don't use a standard military headlight with 3 wires with cannon plugs , like everything else ?
This is what the plug on the HMMWV looks like. The three individual plugs go to the light housing and the single 3 hole connector with two vertical and one horizontal goes to the light itself. D634B54C-4BDE-40BC-A4A5-E05552CE2A72.jpg
Not saying this from google but from experience. I just put new lights in a couple humvees recently.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what the plug on the HMMWV looks like. The three individual plugs go to the light housing and the single 3 hole connector with two vertical and one horizontal goes to the light itself. View attachment 718547
Not saying this from google but from experience. I just put new lights in a couple humvees recently.
That is a mil-spec headlight , not a standard 7 inch round headlight used in "other vehicles" , standard 7 inch round lights have 3 spades on them to a 3 prong connector.

This is a "standard plug" used by the auto industry

Attachments

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Just gotta say, if you pay the premium to have actual DOT-rated, legal LEDs, you'll pay a lot for them...plus the company probably went to the effort to make them "omnivolt" to work in 12 or 24V systems. They still don't have to do that, so read the packaging and make sure they are rated for the application before buying and committing.

If you cheap out and buy lights not actually DOT certified, it's a total crapshoot. They're probably low quality lights, and the company has no obligation to ensure they hold up to automotive standards. You're much more likely to encounter single voltage LEDS here.

And last point, LEDS are extremely voltage sensitive... go buy an unprotected LED and put it about 3V over its rated voltage and watch how fast it changes color, permanently turns off, and possibly even catches fire! Voltage surges kill LEDS frequently. Because of this sensitivity, quality manufacturers build voltage regulators to keep the actual delivered voltage to the emitter in-check, so most saw the advertising benefit of using hardware that would adapt to a much wider voltage range since they're already needing to build more of the hardware in the first place to keep them safe from 12V surges.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

dhaumann69166

That is a mil-spec headlight , not a standard 7 inch round headlight used in "other vehicles" , standard 7 inch round lights have 3 spades on them to a 3 prong connector.

This is a "standard plug" used by the auto industry
The 3 spade to 3 prong is what that picture is of. You can’t see the middle off the wire in the picture but that is all one little harness. The headlight bulb connects with the 3 prong the the other end of the wire with the 3 individual plugs connect at the housing. I know for a fact that my headlight setup is 100% original wiring and the bulbs I bought will fit anything from a 70’s ford pickup to a Jeep or an H2 and they plug right in. I will take it apart this afternoon and take pictures of it. They use the exact same connection to the back of the bulb on civilian and HMMWV headlights.
Also the plug in your picture is the same thing I have a picture of it’s just the male end that is on the bulb. The pic I put up is the female end that is on the vehicle. The two extra wires in your picture are the park lights and can be spliced in to work properly.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks