• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air cleaner components-necessary?

dom1986ck30

Aloha All, I have to ask what anybody might think about the Air Cleaner Components. Are they necessary? I am a true believer in engineered parts being important and having a purpose. Why do mostly all CUCV pics and so forth have it removed? I purchased my CUCV without and haven't had a problem... So I think! Mahalo

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you talking about the air filter and assembly, or the snorkel hose that runs to the firewall?

The air filter and the assembly that holds it in place is absolutely necessary.

The snorkel is not. It is on the civilian vehicles primarily to quiet the sucking sound that the engine creates trying to move a 5900# vehicle down the road.

It's no crime to be articulate. ;-)

dom1986ck30

Yeah, thank you Mainsail. I never read anything much about it. Never see any connection to a worn or, dirty, or hazardous repercussion. I kind of thought a loss of power might be a little of concern. Not much... but a little.

DREDnot

The Air Inlet Tube(snorkel hose) Isn't necessary but its a good thing to have.
Power and efficiency and all that...

The factory unit for the civilian trucks has a large, restrictive looking "silencer" chamber that is mainly for Federal noise emissions and owner noise objections. I'd be willing to bet the military didn't like the front facing intake either so in the interest of cost saving and ease of maintenance...deleted it altogether.

Last edited:

dom1986ck30

I have read this..."The
air intake hose
is a critical part of a well-functioning engine because it bridges the
air filter
and the
intake
manifold. It plays an essential
role
in the engine performance and fuel efficiency." I also read... "
A good air intake system allows for clean and continuous air into the engine, thereby achieving more power and better mileage for your car." Then I found this... "
Managing the supply of air to the combustion chamber is an important process to ensure consistent and reliable performance of modern diesel engines. Air management encompasses all aspects that affect the quantity, composition, temperature, pressure, bulk motion and cleanliness of the combustion air at the start of the heat release period. Details of the intake system, cylinder head and valve train design, pressure boosting technology and charge dilution requirements are all important aspects of intake air management." All sounds/reads important to me.

dom1986ck30

Managing the supply of air to the combustion chamber is a critical aspect of modern diesel engines and can impact emissions, performance and fuel economy. Combustion air management is the process that is used to ensure that the air supplied to the combustion chamber at all operating conditions meets a number of requirements including:
  • a sufficient quantity of oxygen is available to ensure complete combustion,
  • a sufficient amount of diluent (i.e., EGR) is present to control the combustion temperature,
  • the temperature and pressure (density) of the charge air is controlled,
  • suitable bulk motion and kinetic energy is imparted to the charge air in the cylinder to support the mixing of air, fuel and intermediate combustion products, and
  • the size and concentration of impurities such as dust and dirt is acceptable.

FrankenCub

The only thing important with these engines is the air cleaner housing and filter element. The ducting that is on the civi engines doesn't matter even on them. There's no HP increase to be had, no performance improvement. It will help to get cleaner air to the filter but that is it. And for my uses with my truck I'd rather install a snorkel. Not for fording, but to get the air intake away from spray coming from the front end and higher up to be away from churned up dust from the fan. The only function then, is to keep the filter cleaner for longer.
Most of what you'll read will be fine if you are looking for the best performance possible out of gas engine that turns way more RPMs, even then why bother if you aren't trying to build 600+HP.

dom1986ck30

Thanks FrankenCub, I agree... I don't see these motors as being affected to hard without. Not like there is a MAF sensor, etc. along with a computer to really get technical I suppose. These are simple engines... the beauty of them. ;)

bryfor

I found the muffler assy seemed to drop my milage slightly. It did quiet it down a tad though. The muffler and the rubber to connect to air housing inlet is all I was able to salvage. When you look in the muffler it has a pvc pipe inside restricting air flow in my opinion. I was gonna try to take it apart and drill some holes but haven't figured out the release mechanism yet.

dom1986ck30

Hmmm... Thank You bryfor. I have appreciated all who have commented. It was funny because my first car was a 1963 VW Bus. I took that thing apart and assembled it over 50 times, honestly. Engine and all. I have restored many VW's. I had always found out that there was a very important issue with the air cooled system. I know this thread was not for air cool, but relative in the way of engineering. There were parts to the VW air cooled system that did not seem to be of importance. I tried driving without them and would find temperature issues if there wasn't silly little metal/tin guards or covers. I would think, and one might think, that covering any part of the motor compartment, it would get warmer. Why not let it "Breath", or allow more air and wind get to the motor. It wasn't the case. Blew me away how some parts just didn't seem to matter, but did.

Jack Lope

Slightly off topic, but no doubt air cleaner/filter is necessary. I have no hose or snorkel, only the housing for the air filter. I run regular orange box Fram air filter. Tried replacing it with a higher quality filter once that was probably slightly more restrictive, but the engine drone in the cabin was unbearable! Head smashing! Put the cheaper Fram back in, no drone sound.

DREDnot

DSCN3441.jpg

Finally ran my new cold air setup(mil spec(?) AC filter w/pre-filter) on a thunder run down I-10 going to work yesterday. It "seemed" to make much better power past 55MPH. The best it ever did was 60 at the merge of a long uphill entrance ramp. Yesterday it was up to 70 and still gittin it. Guessing it may be a ram air situation. Not really that scientific, but...

It does keep the air intake system at ambient temperature.

ThermalCamera2017-12-05_02-21-43-0700.png

ThermalCamera2017-12-05_02-24-35-0700.png

The stock intake configuration ran 30-35 degrees hotter than ambient.
ThermalCamera2017-11-18_02-28-47-0700.png

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks