• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Cleaner Modifications

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't it make more sense to add this to the other thread you started on this and finish that thread rather than stat a new thread on the same thing ? Doing this just makes searching that much more difficult .
Air Cleaner Modifications

Edit; Maybe a moderator will merge them.

acme66

Yep you are right, forgot that I had already stared a special thread on this. Glad you caught it and fixed it.

-Ken

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
acme66, Thanks for the great write up and the research, my M936 needs all the help it can get, it has a hard enough time moving its self down the road let alone towing another vehicle.

Jakelc15

I think your right, that filter should flow better than stock. But I'm not sure if it will filter as good as it needs to. It is designed to be used with an inner secondary filter.
Wix 46664 flows about 1000 cfm
More modern turbo'd 855's use a filter that flows about 1500 cfm
I know our engines aren't the big hp engines found in a nice Pete but the displacement and rpms are the same. The turbo should be the only thing that significantly changes the cfm flow of the engine.

Please post any findings with this new filter. Also do you think the inner filter can be used as well?

Jakelc15

Our engines, without a turbo, require 900-1000 cfm.
A turbo engine can require 1500+ cfm.
I don't think the stock air filter is up to the task of a turbo.

camoyj7

Nice write up. I know my M931a2 need a better air filter set up. I was thinking about adding another filter under the hood. I think I'll try this first.

o1951

I am wondering if the reason you found all that dirt in the intake is because someone else figured out the filter was a big restriction and tossed it.

MO MV man

I just installed the WIX 46664.
I used wire just like acme66 did and it fit GREAT!

It's monsoon season here so no driving impressions.
The moment I get some seat time, I'll report.

My old Donaldson was FAR from "bad" but it had a pronounced clean area where it "hides" under the inner shroud.
The new filter has PLENTY of room to breathe now-zero housing related restrictions.

Airflow requirements:
I went with the Donaldson engine airflow requirement chart-VERY all-inclusive list broken down by manufacturer and engine designation.
It says a 250HP 6CTA8.3 requires 632cfm at 2500 rpm's.
WIX claims 950cfm with the 46664.
The original Donaldson I removed has 550cfm stamped right onto the metal end cap.
And to think over 1/3 of it wasn't doing anything!
That being said, how little flow (theoretically) was it allowing?

I can say with certainty that after my straight pipe conversion when I'd lay into the throttle, the filter minder would move, signalling restriction.

I cannot wait to get some time behind the wheel!

Last edited:

MO MV man

I never saw any pics or mention of wire used. I may have to do this with my 936 if you guys get noticeable results.
You can find the wire and how he (and I) used it in the YouTube video he made.
VERY simple and effective mod to support the smaller OD of the replacement filter.

MtnSnow

Ouch a 125 bucks for a 10 dollar piece of bent wire (probably cost less in bulk numbers to have made) and a Fleet-guard air filter # AF25354 (shipped from multiple place for just under 60 bucks)....I've bought a few items from TMG but Ouch!

Last edited:

162tcat

Before everyone runs out and throws money at this, don't expect to see or feel a noticeable gain. These are 20,000lb+ trucks, not your honda civic race car. I'm running a donaldson housing capable of 1350 cfm and noticed no difference on my turbo'd 250. The only reason I got a new housing was to replace the old rusty one and have in stock filters available.

Your better off spending that money changing your coolant to the proper SCA type, changing your oil or repacking your wheel bearings.

MtnSnow

The Fleetguard filter is a "replacement" filters that can be used inplace of OEM Donaldson filter that is not really available via the normal sales channels the general public have access to.

As for the Wix filter I'm not sure

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks