• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Compressor Governor

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm away from the trucks for a few days and May 12th is comin'.

Have you looked into the suggestion that other governors fit that compressor? Had another mechanic looking at the truck and he's also sure they're replaceable with modern gear. I have not done this so it will be good to nail down a part number and add it to the handy G749 parts cross-over page.

Air leaks, in-line with the compressor can cause the same symptom I'm told.

Hope you got er' licked already but let us know how it's going.

drlogistics

Still no luck with the governor. I've added washers to try and increase the force of the main spring and I've tried all sorts of adjustments. I just called Brake Systems Inc. in Oregon to see if there was a modern replacement for it. But I'm pretty sure the only governor available these days is the Bendix model used on everything. So I will continue to work on mine. Its pretty simple in design so I'm hoping its as easy as the right adjustment.

drlogistics

Problem Solved!!!

I am happy to report that my air compressor governor is fully functional. After removing it so many times to take it apart and check things out I decided to just take it apart while it was still on the compressor. So I removed the cover and then removed the brass adjustment knob. I quickly noticed that the rod that goes from the diaphragm through the main spring and into the adjustment knob was pushed up against the top of the main spring. Things were not moving freely. And they always moved freely with the governor off the compressor. I started poking around trying to find the cause. The spring, and therefore the rod that goes through the spring, were being pushed up by the very top of the cylinder head stud that sits directly underneath the governor. It was hitting the spring just enough to allow the governor to cut off but not cut back in. One quick swipe with the die grinder and everything worked. So thank you to everyone that helped out here. Valuable lesson learned.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the fix. .......and it's only May 11th, an early fix almost never happens

Are we seeing wear in parts, was it an original casting problem or something else?

Just wondering if I can tweak things to avoid that from happening.

drlogistics

The stud was definitely torqued down. I tore the whole compressor down per Gunfreak's previous post and rebuilt it. I think the problem may have been with the new gasket that I made that sits under the governor. I think the new gasket material was just much thinner than the old gasket. Either way, problem solved. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks