• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Compressor/Opinions Please

CapePrep

I am researching this highly rated 12volt air compressor
It gets really good reviews from multiple sources. Hope to be doing some off road beach driving this summer and will need a source of air. It does draw some current. My 01 1097 has the 200A generator with the multi tap. Thoughts on making proper connections to the "rear" battery and using that? Truck would be running obviously due to the draw and not something that will run for longer than 5-10 min at a stint. Not looking to re hash the step down converters, battery imbalance, etc. Thoughts?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I could not find that info, I would be shocked if they were passing 90A through that small cord and clamps.
Wow! Yeah, I can't imagine that much power being pulled.
We have a 5 horse compressor right outside my window and it runs on 30 amps of "juice"

biscuitwhistler37

In my world "oilless" translates to "disposable", may just be me. After seeing that and reading the three star and lower reviews, I would say it's a pretty expensive gamble, especially pulling 90 amps, unless someone wrote the review for the wrong product.
Screenshot_20240404-164140_(1).png

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mogman and I both purchased military jet fuel balloon inflation devices. They come with two high performance 24V compressors. Disassembled, one compressor to a vehicle is more than enough to blow more air than a politician in an election year.

Seems like something you should look into.

Mog, do you remember the name of the darned thing?

Last edited:

CapePrep

I bit the bullet and ordered one. Will be here on Friday. I saw that amperage rating as well. I will be putting an amp gauge on it and take readings at start up and running. I don't trust any information/data coming out of Chi Chi! Even though it is 12volts, 90 seems high to me as well.
Do you guys think it would be ok for sporadic use pulling off of the rear battery?

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bit the bullet and ordered one.
Do you guys think it would be ok for sporadic use pulling off of the rear battery?
Keep the engine running and attach to the battery of your choice and it should be fine as long as you run a decent gauge cable.

IMHO

Any thoughts CamO?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 90 amp rating is likely just the startup surge; actual running amps would likely be a lot less than that. It would have to have something like 6 gauge cable in order to have a continuous 90 amp draw.
I don't suppose anyone posted what the duty cycle is on it?

Mogman and I both purchased military jet fuel balloon inflation devices. They come with two high performance 24V compressors. Disassembled, one compressor to a vehicle is more than enough to blow more air than a politician. In an election year.

The days of finding those units for $500 on ebay seem to be over. Only thing I'm seeing is from Eastern, and they want $1200 for one, which is about what you would pay for the 2 compressors brand new.

Compressor is manufactured by Extreme Outback.
It's also an oil less unit like someone else commented about being disposable, but these have a 1000 hour between rebuilds rating, so a little bit better than your standard oil less compressor.
air filter is different, but I believe it is the ExtremeAire Magnum version of the compressor. Military uses a different air filter, but those are easily available aftermarket.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 90 amp rating is likely just the startup surge; actual running amps would likely be a lot less than that. It would have to have something like 6 gauge cable in order to have a continuous 90 amp draw.
I don't suppose anyone posted what the duty cycle is on it?

The days of finding those units for $500 on ebay seem to be over. Only thing I'm seeing is from Eastern, and they want $1200 for one, which is about what you would pay for the 2 compressors brand new.

Compressor is manufactured by Extreme Outback.
It's also an oil less unit like someone else commented about being disposable, but these have a 1000 hour between rebuilds rating, so a little bit better than your standard oil less compressor.
air filter is different, but I believe it is the ExtremeAire Magnum version of the compressor. Military uses a different air filter, but those are easily available aftermarket.
$1200! Yikes!!! I should bought a dozen.

Eric tells me to invest in Gold. I think I did better with Hummer parts. LOL

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mogman and I both purchased military jet fuel balloon inflation devices. They come with two high performance 24V compressors. Disassembled, one compressor to a vehicle is more than enough to blow more air than a politician in an election year.

Yep those were a great buy, I have 4 of them, as posted they are Extreme Outback compressors.
As I remember I don't have much more than $500 in all 4 including, all the other stuff and shipping.
EDIT, they have a great rep. for long life, I do need to budget some bucks to go ahead and buy some rebuild kits, just cuz.
I don't think they are Magnums though..

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another way to go is a 115 V 3000 amp sine wave inverter. Then for $130 at Home Despot or Lowes get a small airtool air compressor with storage tank. Then you can always carry pressure even without firing up the unit.

87cr250r

In the world of low quality appliances, the power rating is often based on the inrush current or starting power which is typically 4x the running power. Small cables like that can tolerate a 90 amp inrush while the running current would only be 22.5 amps which is acceptable for 14-12 gauge wiring.

I bought the Makita Anvil compressor because I don't have a lot of need for air. It runs on 120VAC. It filled four 37 inch tires, blew on a few things, and drove about 10 trim nails. It's dead now. It won't build to shut-off pressure and takes 15 minutes to fill a tire.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Home Depot “Rigid” brand 6 gallon110V compressor. $129. Inflates my HMMWV and Hummer tires quickly. Never timed it but less than 3 minutes each, easily.

biscuitwhistler37

"Stupid" idea, how hard/expensive would it be to set up a small compressor and air tank system like what's on the M series trucks? I can attest, it's nice having 90-120 psi on demand, just not familiar enough with the HMMWV to know if there's room under the hood and such......yet 😉

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not stupid - and not difficult at all...!
I know for fact that AC-compresors like the early style ACDelco can easily be converted to pumping just air. Same goes for other units/brands.
(See this tech article)

There is always room enough to add one (plus an air tank with el. pressure switch) in a HMMWV or CUCV, provided it doesn't have AC, already.
Of course, AC compressors need a source of oil to be able to run for longer, so that air coming out is not completely oil-less. But so is the air on board of an M35 or any other MV...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks