• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor

Lax

I got my Duce (The General) all started today in the Upstate New York 15 degree (minus zero windchill) today and we were doing fine until I head lots of ugly squeals and squeaks from under the hood. It did not sound good. I could not tell exactly where they were coming from but it sounded upfront by the fan or compressor. Shut her down for a while and started it only to get those wonderful sounds back. Only this time the low air pressure buzzer would not go off because I could not get the pressure I needed so I'm guessing I found the problem. Does this situation require a new pump or is it reparable? This one is new to me. Any ideas? Thanks everyone and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

rat4spd

Parts are rather hard to find for those compressors, as they are no longer made. They are still re-manufactured by Bendix though and I have found them at one time for about $350.

NAPA has a complete gasket/seal kit for them, although I'd have to hunt down the part number. This is assuming you have the Midland twin.

A used compressor can be had for a hundred bucks or under, and that may be the easiest route, although I'd recommend replacing the front seal, and gasket under it, being VERY, VERY careful if you use any sealant (I use aviation gasket cement) to avoid the little round oil hole like the plague lest you plug it up and melt the rods on your next one.

Divemaster920

Banned
You got those sounds because your compressor was not turning the same RPM's as your motor. If you are lucky you burnt the belt. My guess would be that your belt was loose and all will be fine.:idea: That reminds me, I need to get one of those compressor wrenches and tighten mine up.
Thank You

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pull the belt off and see if itwill spin. If so, check to see if the oil line is plugged. If the compressor is toast, send me a PM for one. :-D

Lax

Thanks guys! One of the first things I did was to check on the belts. They seemed tight but I'll check again in the morning. After I posted this I began to think about it and I remember seeing what looked like some oil seepage around what appeared to be a seem towards the bottom of the compressor. Also the compressor made a metal on metal rattle and knocking when the engine was running. Does that help you diagnose the problem? I sure hope it is a loose belt but...

Thanks for any help you can give.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be water frozen in the system and all it needs is thawing out. At those temps moisture in the air system can cause alot of problems.

Lax

Divemaster920,
You sir are a beautiful man.. I just checked the belt and sure enough it was really loose. HA! That MAY be the problem because I drove the thing about 15 mi. before I started to get the squeaks. It must have been really close for a while but the 15 degree temps must have been just enough to shrink it enough to start slipping.

Now any advise on how to tighten it? It looks pretty well bolted to the block, etc. Any tips to an easy tighten job? Thanks again everyone. Let's hope that all it was was a loose belt..

Lax

Okay. Thanks. I just took a quick look at it again and I have no idea where or how to move the pulley. Can another tool be used as a band-aid to get this done or am I going to need a wrench? I can't drive it now as it does not charge the air tanks for a long time. Thanks.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There IS a company that has both the twin and single compressors rebuilt and ready to go and has parts. I have it on the puter at work. Monday, I will fwd it to myself at home and post a link. IIRC, they are in Washington?

rat4spd

If your pully's threaded halves aren't froze, all you need is a large crescent wrench, and a wrench to loosen the two bolts that lock the halves.

Put the large crescent on the back pulley, hold the front with your hand, and rotate the rear half counter clockwise to tighten. It works good IF your threads aren't really tight on the two halves.

kc5mzd

In a pinch you can always try belt dressing.
You should be able to get it in a sprey can at any good auto parts store.
It will also give you some time to make sure its just the belt.

Lax

Okay, I really appreciate your help but you guys are one step ahead of me. As I look at the compressor the only bolts I see are two that hold the pulley to the shaft that comes out of the compressor. The bolts look to be about 9/16 and they hold what looks like two "pulley center halves" together. Where are the bolts I need to deal with to adjust the belt? Does anyone have a photo of what I should be looking for? Thanks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The outer half of the pulley is threaded onto the inner half. Those 2 bolts hold it in place. Adjustments are made by tightening the 2 halves together making the pulley bigger in diameter. The 2 3/8 bolts lock down the outer pulley. Suggest getting TM 9-2320-361-20 and have a gander.